[IMS Tech] local and international switching in NGN and IMS

Anuradha Udunuwara

Mar 11, 2009, 1:07:41 AM3/11/09
to imsg...@imsforum.org, ims...@imsforum.org
What are the advantages and disadvantages of having both international and local switching functions inside a single SoftSwitch in an NGN? How can one decide which architecture to use; dual (one softswitch for local and one softswitch for international) or single? What is the current practice/trend? How this is addressed in an IMS architecture?

Franz Edler

Mar 12, 2009, 2:04:10 AM3/12/09
to Anuradha Udunuwara, imsg...@imsforum.org, ims...@imsforum.org

An interesting question.
>From my PSTN experience I can say that the separation of functions (local
and international) has been done due to complexity and flexibility reasons
of routing, charging and due to performance reasons.
But things are changing in this area. The current trend is still to keep
this separation.

Franz