[IMS Group] Fwd: [IMS-tech] IMS future with LTE

thomas mathew

Mar 9, 2009, 12:30:39 AM3/9/09
to imsg...@imsforum.org

IMS future with LTE

Off late I have been thinking with LTE around the corner, well not literarly , still within a vicinity of at most 2 years what would be the future of IMS in the wireless world..

LTE shall merge the UTRAN and EVDO based network and when that happens technology would be unified and would be the single options for carriers and to the most extent vendors thus bringing down the barriers of air interfaces.

As we all know with LTE/EPC the bandwidth will no longer be a constraint. With few latency tweaking the backbone would be strong enough big chunk of pipe.SIP based IMS platform that still has a has overhead of being a heavy protocol would then be question.

Let's look at what IMS offers today
1. Presence ( icon, tag line, status ..etc
2. IM and video sharing.
3. SIP based Voip.

With a profound factor of independent of the underlying access technology which make integration quite simple. On the wireless side it becomes extremely useful especially on 2G and 3G network.

Although 3G is itself offers not so bad data throughput rates of nearly 1Mb DL and almost 300 kbps UL to keep it real and that is significant enough for quite amount of application that IMS currently offer. Keep in mind there are already HSDPA devices that can do far more speed that today's 3G network.

If one does a deeper dive on the wireless data application that is being developed for data intensive devices like T-Mobile G1 and Iphone, one would be quite amazed to see a number of these social networking application that does far more than what today's IMS offers. These are standard client -server application where the users has to be merely "log-in" to see his buddies and friends and of course see their updated tag line,icons and status. Doesn't involve any sip based register, invite or notify.Some of the application even uses network based location based APIs that lets the server know about the user location that could compliment the social networking application with many folds of added uses cases.

Note these are 3rd party application being built out of their geek's garages and does not involve any carriers based HSS database or lookup for subscriptions. They are mere application with plug-ins and integration to popular application and sites. These popular applications are built for smart data device that can support good speed and if it could be complimented by the LTE network, the IMS based "Application sub system" would be something to doubt.

Of course if you ask about policy functions , security functions, application logic, content filtering, they would still covered under the umbrella of EPC or enhanced packet core network. I don't see the need of separate Rx interface when GGSN /SAE can do the same function with PCRF on Gx. The other core elements like I-CSCF today dips into HSS for determining the S-CSCF ,again a function that can be extended on PCRF.

IMS and voice Telephony
This is where IMS has a chance to co-exist . CS-Core is not an option on LTE although there are debates on CS-fallback for 2g and 3G, but lets forget that ...off topic. LTE shall be Packet Core and IP based and due to this there are different technologies that I think will battle for survival. Conventional Voip , UMA  , IMS and properiteray players like skype and Vonage. Investing on IMS on top of LTE....hmm.....

thoughts ?

BR,

Thomas

Kushanava Laha

Mar 9, 2009, 3:25:33 AM3/9/09
to thomas mathew, imsgroup...@imsforum.org, imsg...@imsforum.org

Thomas,

IMS, at the minimum, set out to achieve the following

  1. Session Control framework
  2. Subscription data repository
  3. Subscriber addressing
  4. Application framework composed of several service enablers
  5. Policy/Qos/Charging/Security machinery
  6. Experience continuity and consistency for multi-access convergence
  7. Service mobility/roaming enabler
  8. Service interconnection with other operators and compatible to other core network topologies

There are a couple of interesting observations that can be made on the above objectives of IMS.

Firstly, it is possible that many of these functions can be addressed in the transport layer itself without having to overload the control/application layer e.g. policy/Qos/Charging/Security, experience continuity across multiple access technologies, etc.  This is more evident as finally we are evolving towards an All IP Network and IP as a technology provides more than one mechanism to address these.

Secondly, there are functions (subscriber addressing, etc.) that overlaps between the transport and control/application layers.

Thirdly, as you rightly point out that the operator’s application development wing cannot simply match up with the innovativeness and time-to-market speed of the applications being rolled out of the geek’s garage.

My personal view of the Evolved Packet Core (EPC) is that it collates some of the (original) IMS objectives, which could be localized in the transport space, and defined a new core network subsystem that addresses the same in a focused manner. IMS was trying to address these but left behind confusions in operators’ minds as to where lay the delineation between IP transport and service/application stratum. These functions can be decoupled from application/service control layer and can be generalized for all IP-based access systems and technologies. Examples of such functions are Policy/Qos/Charging/Security functions, connectivity continuity and consistency for multi-access convergence, enablement of service mobility/roaming etc.

So EPC is not speaking any new language that IMS did not speak of. However, EPC had simplified the way what IMS had tried to achieve.

Having said that, EPC alone does not satisfy all the objectives, which IMS set out to achieve. There is still the missing link of the layer in between the application and the transport layers. Who coordinates between the two to ensure that transport resources are manipulated the way the application desires without disturbing the overall resource ecosystem? Who binds the end user experience that is being dealt with from the last mile right up to the application? Who ensures that the service in question is inter-connectable to all other users across all other operators across diverse core technologies?  (The last thing we want is yet another service garden)

IMS or no IMS, all the (erstwhile IMS) objectives need to be met. The EPC provides a partial solution that focuses only on the transport plane for the future All IP Network. I believe that IMS needs to re-adapt itself based on the fact that some objectives have been gracefully solved by the EPC. But the need for IMS will still be there – at least until all the objectives are satisfied by some other to-be-defined subsystem(s) or until we see a new-look IMS – that accommodates the geek’s garage.

Regards,

Kushanava Laha

Chief Systems Engineer,

Wireless & Convergence

A R I C E N T

Plot-17 Sector-18 Electronic City

Gurgaon, Haryana – 122 015, INDIA

Main     +91 124.234.6666 x3268

Fax       +91 124.409.5912

Mobile  +91 9999017070

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error,please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus."

Tom Nolle Public

Mar 9, 2009, 8:11:41 AM3/9/09
to thomas mathew, imsg...@imsforum.org

I think that the evolution of “social communications” is likely the biggest factor in whether IMS/LTE or Skype/LTE (to pick an example) ends up being the answer.  Mobile communication is different from wireline, which we all know.  Because it’s available everywhere people use it as a different kind of conversational service.  Even users at home don’t call on wireline as often as they do on wireless.  The social-media craze is an indication that we’re searching for a new model for public communication in this “share-and-converse-with-everyone-all-the-time” age.  If social media sites of some sort (even Twitter) become the social focus, they become the communications focus.  That pulls voice into an adjunct status—it’s now linked to social networking.  In that form, it’s easier to fulfill voice OTT because that’s how social network access is obtained.

Operators have to realize that consumer behavior is being changed by the Internet, and they have to plan their services (and service architectures) to reflect that very fundamental change.

Tom

Mar 9, 2009, 7:08:36 AM3/9/09
to Kushanava Laha, thomas mathew, imsgroup...@imsforum.org, imsg...@imsforum.org
I think most agree that LTE will be used in most cases for data-only services: data cards and dual LTE-mobile units.

There will be no standard support for "traditional" CS services over LTE for a couple of years more, at least. The most credible options right now (as Dan Warren enumerated) are CS-Fallback and something similar to UMA (volga forum just created to push that). Quite far and still under discussion.

So, let's assume LTE = IP transport on mobility. Keeping aside what we technologists would like, many users are happily using ADSL or cable Internet access, on networks that have very limited support for what it is mentioned below. I assume the same will happen for LTE, at least at the beginning, and probably also in the medium term.

I am not convinced that every LTE deployment will require IMS. Even some may say that fully implementing EPC funcionalities would be overkill. E.g. QoS.

Mar 9, 2009, 6:04:37 PM3/9/09
to Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org
Andre,

I fully agree with you: LTE devices will be rich, many will probably include a SIP client. And VoIP may be a big chunk of LTE usage.

But where we may disagree: given the current situation, I think the SIP client and the VoIP will be pretty much the same that customers are using right now on their PCs. And most importantly, the business model would probably be the same: flat rate to the carrier, OTT players get the rest.

That is not set in stone, it may change, but the carriers (and the major vendors) are slow and conservative organizations that think about how making any move may affect their current revenues.

Example: the volga forum (just publicly announced) is pushing for a voice-over-LTE solution that is basically UMA, this sentence is very revealing: "The VoLGA forum says the technology offers a low-cost, low risk approach for bringing existing revenue-generating services like voice and SMS to LTE."

No mention about new services: focus on how to keep the current cash cows bringing more milk under LTE. That's quite legitimate. It is quite far away from what we technologist may have in mind for a shining new LTE network, but that's the way it is.

Mar 9, 2009, 3:48:21 PM3/9/09
to re...@solaiemes.com, kushana...@aricent.com, tom....@gmail.com, imsgroup...@imsforum.org, imsg...@imsforum.org
I agree that LTE will be released as a data centric solution, and that data across the LTE solution will not be the cs replacement.

I agree that LTE will not require IMS to be functional and that the solution will be more aligned to what the subscribers choose to use rather than what operators think they should provide.

That agrees with QoS not being important to the initial deployment of LTE, however in order to provide the data solution for an application driven solution network then QoS will be important to offer service differentiation.

So does this mean or may it mean that we will have different access methods for different applications?

just a thought

Peter

From: re...@solaiemes.com
To: kushana...@aricent.com; tom....@gmail.com; imsgroup...@imsforum.org
Subject: RE: [IMS Group] Fwd: [IMS-tech] IMS future with LTE
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:08:36 +0100
CC: imsg...@imsforum.org

Windows Live Messenger just got better. Find out more!

Andre Torres

Mar 10, 2009, 10:18:02 AM3/10/09
to Jose M Recio, imsg...@imsforum.org

Hi Jose,

You went to the point where we disagree. I think although LTE customers will also use the same solutions they use on PC (skype, msn, google talk, etc) on their LTE mobiles, this will be a second choice for cheaper calls. But the first communication option will remain the operator voice service (neither based nor dependent on Internet). And here we come back to the QoS and related themes under discussion on this forum.

Voice over Internet users today didn’t open hand on their traditional mobile. The most will not change that when they have LTE, they will still count on the operator services. But definitely the competition among operators and OTTs will be tighter. Good for the customer.

There are other issues we could bring to discussion. Operators will still control the access layer. How does it impact the competition with OTTs? How the regulations are going to be? Operators and OTTs providing public voice service will be subjected to the same rules?

BR,

Jose M Recio

Mar 10, 2009, 12:20:36 PM3/10/09
to Tom Nolle Public, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org
I fully agree, Tom. Operators need to keep milking their current voice (and SMS) cash cow as much as possible.
And I think all the ecosystem (operators, big equipment vendors, big handset vendors...) will try hard, very hard to connect LTE to the existing CS-based voice (and SMS) systems.

Your ideal for CS-over-LTE is what Volga forum is pushing for: reuse current CS stacks using IP-LTE as transport (that's right: transporting the full GSM or CDMA signalling over LTE). No SIP at all. Full reuse of the existing CS infrastructure and OSS/BSS and full reuse of CS stack software in the handsets.

I think it is more possible that LTE will be voice driven this way (or using CS-fallback) in the medium term.

Mar 11, 2009, 2:15:40 AM3/11/09
to Jose M Recio, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org
Good point there Tom , Andre
From a carriers standpoint the voice is the core business and LTE may not have the definite answers now. CS-fallback, Volga forum is something we have to still wait and may be that anxiety could push operators to get their IMS option going. We may even see operators opening up their LTE backbone for VoIP providers like Skype and Vonage and of-course not forgetting those geek's garage voice applications.

IMS may not have any good reason for replacing the application-subsystem or the data apps that being developed in many folds day-in and day-out. But operators may chose IMS to have their own "presence flavored social app" that could leverage network based APIs.

Going back to Kushanava point , LTE is not something that can be decoupled with EPC. EPC has its own network layer framework. LTE shall merge the access ,meaning connectivity continuity and consistency for multi-access convergence is already taken care of. The current 3G packet core already talks about Packet Inspection, Policy control [ including QoS ] , charging [ realtime, non-realtime] , security ,Access & Service aware based Packet routing and HSS lookup for Subscriber profile currently used by PCRF for Policy. There is good chance that EPC may even extend these functions and for those reasons ,I wouldn't say LTE is just transport layer for the application sub-system.

Thanks
Thomas

Tom Nolle Public

Mar 10, 2009, 10:32:17 AM3/10/09
to Andre Torres, Jose M Recio, imsg...@imsforum.org

I’m also skeptical about the notion that LTE is going to be data- (or at least non-voice-) driven.  The revenue model for mobile operators today is strongly slanted to voice, and while I know that operators would like to see that change, the truth is that there’s not been much progress in making that goal into reality.  LTE deployment is certainly justified by the notion that non-voice services will eventually dominate, but in the meantime voice will have to keep the lights on.

The problem with CS-over-LTE may be that it’s not avoiding enough cost.  To make the process totally workable you’d have to be able to originate a CS-over-LTE “tunnel” call from the handset; otherwise your packet/circuit transition is needed anyway and you would still have to support SIP signaling for the call.  I don’t think we have a complete model for creating calls like that, or even good alternatives.  That would mean that the alternative to SIP is a P2P model like Skype, which I think might be a smart approach if the P4P infrastructure-specific P2P standard got anywhere.  But the timing is everything; early deployment favors IMS and any delays work against it.

Tom

>LTE customers will also use the same solutions they use on PC (skype, msn, google
> talk, etc) on their LTE mobiles, this will be a second choice for cheaper calls. But the
>first communication option will remain the operator voice service (neither based nor
>dependent on Internet)

Exactly!!! VoIP will most likely be used (it is being used right now!) to avoid roaming chargers while traveling abroad, provided that the quality is good. otherwise it doesn't make sense
Regards
--
Sergio J. Castro

Mar 10, 2009, 10:59:07 AM3/10/09
to Tom Nolle Public, Jose M Recio, imsg...@imsforum.org

Hi Tom,

In fact it is not necessary to have packet/circuit transition or CS-over-LTE to carry voice over LTE. LTE is packet only, as just as voice can be: packet only, VoIP.

The issue is to manage/grant the correct bandwidth and QoS for internet/application and for voice data, and here if you have an EPC and IMS core it makes operator’s life much simpler than a NGN core.

BR,

Andre Araujo Torres

Technical Sales Manager - Core Network

Tom Nolle Public

Mar 10, 2009, 11:04:51 AM3/10/09
to Andre Torres, Jose M Recio, imsg...@imsforum.org

I’m aware of that, Andre; my point was that if you look at the broad question of whether CS-LTE is useful, you have to consider how much it really saves you in transition costs.  Since, as you say, LTE is packet only, you would need to either do a VoIP-to-CS gateway transition or attempt to keep the call at least in a CS tunnel to avoid IMS-like intervention.

The question of whether IMS or EPC “simplifies” bandwidth allocation still needs to be proven on a large scale, IMHO.

Tom

Dmitry Tcheban

Mar 12, 2009, 3:27:55 AM3/12/09
to imsg...@imsforum.org

Why such VoIP-to-CS gateway is needed in the LTE?

As far as I understand, in the pure LTE case we have IP all the way from handset to the IP core. The only analog device on this way is speaker and microphone on the handset (although, even Audio Devices SW API is a packet one, at least on WM and Symbian based handsets).

The only place where actual CS GW is required is a connection with legacy PSTN networks- but it is a responsibility of the core network.

Regards,

  Dmitry

Tom Nolle Public

Mar 11, 2009, 8:00:04 AM3/11/09
to alan....@wwite.com, thomas mathew, imsg...@imsforum.org

Most of the big Tier One providers have a VP with a “Transformation” title, and that seems to be where they’ve placed the missions we’ve been discussing.  My own research and interviews with these people suggest that they believe their vendors are not cooperating in supporting their efforts.  In 2008, every Tier One provider we surveyed rated their network vendor as “Unsatisfactory” or “Marginally Unsatisfactory” in their support of the providers’ monetization goals.

Tom

Mar 10, 2009, 7:50:23 PM3/10/09
to Jose M Recio, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

The Volga approach is exactly what I’m thinking, but even that approach has its transition costs, and I’d like to see the whole notion of CS and true VoIP reviewed in terms of their TCO.  Certainly, though, voice has to be a big part of near-term ROI, and so does SMS.

Tom

Sergio J. Castro

Mar 12, 2009, 2:23:01 PM3/12/09
to Tom Nolle Public, <imsgroup@imsforum.org>
Hi Tom,

These VPs also have it tough from within their own companies, especially with the operations department that run the deployed network.. And vendors will not fully engage to custom needs unless there is PO potential. Let's not forget that business forecasted will drive any technology. Heads roll when tier 1 carriers don't select a vendor that has invested time, money and effort in trials, especially if the carrier decided not to deploy at all.

Regards

___
Sergio J. Castro
+1 (619) CASTRO 1

Sent from my iPhone

El Mar 11, 2009, a las 5:00, "Tom Nolle Public" <tno...@cimicorp.com> escribió:

[...]

Tom Nolle Public

Mar 11, 2009, 7:52:54 AM3/11/09
to Andre Torres, Jose M Recio, imsg...@imsforum.org

The most significant thing in voice services, at least according to my own research, is the phone number.  Because people remember and save these numbers they create a link between the number, the person it represents, and the service on which the number can be used.  The question of how “non-PSTN-model” voice will fare in competition with VoIP on LTE may depend on whether these third-party services bring out (or expand) programs to allow intercalling with the PSTN and the use of PSTN numbers.

Regulators have pretty much decided that voice is voice, meaning that the technology of a service doesn’t absolve it from regulatory oversight.  However, if the service is not marketed as a replacement for PSTN voice (here in the US) then it is not subject to PSTN regulations like E911, CALEA, etc.

Tom

alan lloyd

Mar 12, 2009, 10:38:35 AM3/12/09
to Andre Torres, Tom Nolle Public, Jose M Recio, imsg...@imsforum.org

Hi Andre,

I agree that QoS will be an issue for applications.

If anyone looks at Qos in the fixed world you will see that even with tDSL CABLE there is no true end to end QoS.

There is no commercial pressure on fixed line IP providers to do any QoS only in the sense of ‘throttling’ networks at peak times.

I would like to know where the commercial financial pressure on mobile operators would come from to deploy this.

QoS will not truly come of age commercially until the fixed line and mobile operators realise that the cash cow of voice is dead.

Thus far I am unconvinced, that that perception in the minds has changed despite the technical capability having existed for a while now it hasn’t truly transpired.

I challenge anyone to show me commercially working end to end QoS services on mobile networks.

At best the most we can expect is edge to edge QoS what happens in the core IMS or NGN isn’t important in this regard.

QoS for QoS sake without the services or dare I say the killer app is not an end it’ own right.

Duane Wright

IP/IMS Consultant

Tom Nolle Public

Mar 12, 2009, 10:55:30 AM3/12/09
to Duane Wright, Andre Torres, Jose M Recio, imsg...@imsforum.org

The QoS topic is its own black hole for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which being that as Duane points out there is no broadband QoS today, or even Internet QoS.  But the reason for that, I would suggest, is more business than technical.  There’s no settlement on the Internet, so there is no incentive for transit carriers of IP traffic to support QoS when they can’t be paid for their share of it.  One of the things that could come out of an IMS/ITU-NGN model is a mechanism for interprovider settlement and thus a business framework to make the RACF stuff valuable and not just possible.  But I don’t think it will be easy to make a QoS case for voice.  Skype is getting more popular, Google has just brought out its own voice service, and best-effort voice is good enough for most.

The voice cash cow, IMHO, isn’t dead yet.  The great majority of mobile revenue is voice, in fact.  If we migrated mobile operators to a data-driven revenue model today, I doubt there would be a single survivor.  That’s not to say that the voice cash cow isn’t dying (it clearly is), but the problem the operators face today is that it’s far from clear what the successor cash cow will be.  We can’t expect operators to invest in the future without a credible return, both near-term and longer-term.

A lot of our debates on this board are really about this last point.  We need a successor revenue model to voice.  We know that the Internet is the framework for most non-voice service, and so it’s hard not to support the Internet as part of the future of mobile data service.  But the Internet has its own business issues (settlement/QoS) and the wireline Internet has disintermediated broadband operators.  Would mobile Internet do the same?  Thus, there’s a temptation to say that IMS-based applications that aren’t “the Internet” should be the way that future mobile revenues are generated.  The challenge is making those applications more useful and valuable than the Internet versions of the same applications, provided OTT on the mobile Internet services operators need to offer.  Will QoS alone do that?  Not in my view, because as Duane points out we don’t have QoS today on wireline Internet.

Tom

alan lloyd

Mar 12, 2009, 6:26:17 PM3/12/09
to Sergio J. Castro, Tom Nolle Public, imsg...@imsforum.org

I agree Sergio

 I am sure there are thousands of companies would not mind a few cents for every dollar they have invested in trying to get telco business.  With meetings  travel, demos, presentations, etc one must be looking at  spending $100ks  with just  a chance of getting something back  - and hopefully that has a margin in it…

Yet on the other side of the fence we are asked/told to comply with models, frameworks, architectures, complex protocol systems  which are always a bit onerous  re as to their implementation and integration.. The telco sector is for the brave with deep pockets.

What will the GFC do to this situation I wonder… will vendors simply not bother – all too risky?    This is why OTT personalized net apps is getting the traction.  That is, is it simply best to design the systems for the IT businesses  at large and hopefully telcos may use it.

Best wishes alan

Tom Nolle Public

Mar 12, 2009, 11:01:32 AM3/12/09
to Dmitry Tcheban, imsg...@imsforum.org

For many, the goal of the CS-LTE approach is to avoid requiring a full transition to VoIP by using CS paths from the handset inward, which keeps CS voice and voice signaling in place.  LTE is pure IP as you say, but in theory you could signal as always if you established a tunnel direct to a “virtual Class 5” with answer supervision.

Tom Nolle Public

Mar 15, 2009, 5:36:20 PM3/15/09
to Jeroen van Bemmel, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

We have QoS outside the Internet, I agree, but it’s not available on the Internet side.  My point here is that if non-QoS services for the Internet have prospered (look at Google Voice, the new OTT voice-related service) then you can’t assert that QoS differentiation is essential for next-gen services.

The view that the broadband operators are disintermediated is their view; I happen to agree with it but the operators almost universally report that position in surveys.  They view, again I think correctly, that usage caps and tiered pricing that charges for wireline QoS will be incredibly difficult to introduce and ultimately work to the disadvantage of the market, and thus they consider it a last resort.  They don’t see the OTT players as access competitors, they see them as service competitors, and thus as competitors who might force them to the undesirable position of caps and tiers if they can’t respond.

Tom

Mar 15, 2009, 6:24:58 PM3/15/09
to Jeroen van Bemmel, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

I have to disagree that QoS is essential for a for-pay model.  Google Voice, Skype, and even some of the Netflix stuff are examples of for-pay services or services with for-pay elements that don’t include QoS.  Users want to get an experience they value.  If that requires QoS then obviously you’d need to have it.  But I submit that we have had enough experience with best-efforts today to accept many services that have best-efforts delivery.

IMHO falling back on the notion that operators need QoS for their business model is falling back to pre-NGN services mindset, one that isn’t going to be sustainable in the Internet world—and by that I mean the world that the Internet has created and not just the Internet itself.

Tom

Mar 16, 2009, 6:50:36 PM3/16/09
to Tom Nolle Public, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org
Tom,

See this recent announcement by a new Internet era MVNO zer01: http://www.informationweek.com/news/telecom/voip/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=215900218&subSection=News

"Zer01 CEO Ben Piilani said the company has developed proprietary algorithms and defragmentation engines to handle latency issues and ensure that the VoIP has a high quality of service, even over an EDGE or GPRS connection."

This is one example of an operator depending on (I would say living or dying by) QoS for their for-pay service. It will be interesting to see how they do. US only unfortunately...

Duane Wright

Mar 17, 2009, 4:21:41 AM3/17/09
to Tom Nolle Public, Jeroen van Bemmel, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

Jereon,

You can produce all the algorithms  in the world it will not guarantee the end to end QOS onlt attempt to mitigate it.

The whole point of end to end QOS using reserved bandwidthe end to end is that it’s guaranteed.

Doesn’t matter if that’s wireless of fibre the principal is the same.

As Tom has stated the reason skype works is it relies on there being enough end to end bandwidth between the two calls some call it over provisioning.

However it’s not guaranteed.

Furthermore, it is within the remit of any ISP to actually switch off the UDP/TCP port for skype should they choose to.

The problem is clear as far as I can see the agendas of ISP and Mobile operators are how to charge for these services without alienating the customers.

There is a reason why some wireless  handset manufacturers do not permit Skype calls via the wi-fi indeed we have some that even (for some strange reason) put skpe on there UMTS networks, why?

So they can charge.

Also to take into account the fact that having worked in the USA and Europe the cost models for voice in the USA is far more aggressive and competitive that Europe.

Like it or not the European Wireless market is voice call charge dependant and effectively they’ve  stifled any real attempts at FMC.

ISP’s calls such as clients that use voip, are effectively free, wireless mobiles are charged.

Wireless operators in general have resisted any attempts to be ‘bandwidth providers’.

With constant attempts to control the content instead of looking at the Internet model of allowing ‘open content’ as I call it.

This is what is at the basis of many problems to make IMS & FMC a reality.

Duane

Mar 17, 2009, 2:40:32 PM3/17/09
to Jeroen van Bemmel, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org
Thanks Jeroen, very interesting

Looking at their web site (www.zer01mobile.com) I could see this being
the beginning of the mobile IP customer land grab. If Zer01 expand
their agreements to all compatible networks (AT&T & T-mobile is a
great start) and configure a handset that works/roams seemlessly to
which ever is best for the location then it has an extremely
interesting proposition. No longer will a user have to worry about
carrier coverage, quality location and pick the best for them, they
can go with this organisation which could (will?) do it dynamically!

"Don't wait for your network to go end to end IP, they're move too
slow, come with us and we'll make sure your using the best "bit pipe"
for were you are".

I wonder if the networks understand what they signed up to !

Now for my next trick, seemless roaming between networks while in a
voice call (could/should be possible with this approach)

Matt

2009/3/16 Jeroen van Bemmel <jbe...@zonnet.nl>:

> [Message clipped]

Mahesh A.

Mar 23, 2009, 10:12:24 AM3/23/09
to imsg...@imsforum.org

hi Tom,
i'm compelled to ask myself the question  after reading through the mail....what is it that the LTE era will bring in that
will make operators unleash IMS (assuming here that operators are PRO IMS) FINALLY....i mean, if QoS is not
going to be THE thing then what is it that is holding operators from  deploying full fledged IMS infra and services
, and waiting for LTE instead??.....from IMS point of view, what is it that cant be done using todays's IP-CAN's and
UMTS Core  that IMS is not taken off to the extent it was projected.

Can somebody help me in this soul search please?

cheers
Mahesh

Mar 17, 2009, 11:16:45 PM3/17/09
to Duane Wright, Tom Nolle Public, Jeroen van Bemmel, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

Speaking for India, I agree totally.  CxOs of many operators have explicitly commented that they will resist all attempts to reduce them to “bit pipe providers”.

In fact, some are even debating separating into two businesses – one doing bit pipes with very low margins (A) & the other offering services (B).

Since both companies will be owned by them, it may make it easier for A to relent, upgrade networks for B.

Jose M Recio

Mar 25, 2009, 12:26:23 PM3/25/09
to Mahesh A., imsg...@imsforum.org
Good question, Mahesh, good question.

In some markets LTE/WiMAX will bring more competition in the form of different business models. In those markets, some change may happen, not because of the intrinsic technical enhancements, but because of the market forces that may be unleashed.

In the rest of the markets (e.g. where regulators act in a certain way or licenses are owned by established market players or ...) I don't see that many changes in the medium term in terms of services offered by the operators.
There will be a change in terms of bandwith, prices/rates, and services offered by OTT. But I don't see a big change in services offered by operators themselves in the near/medium term.

Mar 25, 2009, 5:38:40 AM3/25/09
to am...@amdale.com, Duane Wright, Tom Nolle Public, Jeroen van Bemmel, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

Hi  -

 I think we need to consider   personalized services, parental controls and location based services and virtual private environments

Personalized services might request high bandwidths on demand for the movie for a few hours… PCMM in cable terms

Parental controls  which can be a revenue earning product, might place firewall restrictions or CM restrictions on sub accounts

Location based services (on geo code or IP address) may dictate what news one gets or what sports game one can see

Private environments may ask for a block of 2- 512 IP addresses and that is sold as a revenue earning product.

So while I can see OTT services happening regardless,  I am not sure how “operators”  will want to separate the systems in the new world, in particular policy based IP addresses will be necessary for many reasons based on the user, their location and their account status or monitoring condition – and this functionality can be a  source of revenue.. that is,  network dependant end user services.. is where they can be unique..

The question is: What is the customer actually logging onto and how sophisticated is that AAA system  services?  And will the existing IMS AAA evolve to deal with such services.

Best wishes alan

Tariq Rasheeduddin

Mar 25, 2009, 7:29:48 AM3/25/09
to Mahesh A., imsg...@imsforum.org
Some Core's are still running over ATM/FR circuits .. which has to serve Voice/Data/Internet
TR-

Duane Wright

Mar 26, 2009, 5:30:26 PM3/26/09
to am...@amdale.com, Inam, alan....@wwite.com, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

Hi Amit,

I like the metaphor you used but if I may add to it by saying that there are soccer field (or cricket grounds) people want to play but the person who owns the fields doesn’t know how to charge for it.

Better still he has players he an audience but wants to maximise his revenue but isn’t willing to take a risk.

We’ve been discussing this for some time and the problem isn’t strictly technical capability but charging.

You can use a quasi IMS solution or a hybrid of the elements to achieve the same effect but again it comes back to charging be that IMS/FMC/GAN/WiMAX etc.

For example Wimax 805.16d is used for backhaul in some countries due to the cost of fibre/sdh.

Wimax802.16e ? why would Qualcomm the owners of UMTS in my view encourage Wimax which is primarily a INTEL solution?

It may looks as if I’ve jumped the shark but there is a connection no wireless operator is going to deploy unless they know they are going to get a return on there investment.

The danger as with the all standards driven solutions is that  although very compelling, is that if you look in the Internet ISP world many attempts have been made to charge for services which the consumers have been very resistant to.

For example peer to peer download, very common, could be stopped but if you try to do that it’s expensive and bound to fail in the long term as people get savvy.

In my view if IMS is going to be deployed as a standard globally it will not necessarily come from the mobile world.

Ironically and historically the best innovation has been ISP driven and I think there is where elements of IMS will take off.

This is of course based on the notation that wireless operators are determined to control the content as has been the case thus far.

Best regards,

Duane

IP/IMS Consultant

Mar 26, 2009, 1:18:46 AM3/26/09
to alan....@wwite.com, Duane Wright, Tom Nolle Public, Jeroen van Bemmel, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

Well, I think this is again a little on business modeling.  Looking into the future, we agree that access media (E1, IP etc) shall merge.  After all a wire is a wire, a byte is a byte.  In search for lowest energy state, applications will bypass “traditional” TELCO models if necessary.

Therefore, access-media agnostic, subscribers shall find their applications.  Given the diversity of IP vs mobile, what choice are the mobile operators left with?

alan lloyd

Mar 27, 2009, 8:15:41 AM3/27/09
to Inam, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org, am...@amdale.com

Hi Inam – and thanks

I think you are saying   the same as most are:

  1. That Raduis/Diameter AAA systems are so rudimentary – how on earth can they deal with the online service paradigms that exist today and those of tomorrow . They may be “OK” for connections, call features and CDRs… butNGN  online services … the rest of the online world simply does NOT use that “stuff”…
  2. There are no “killer” services in IMS because that was only the marketing buzz,,  and  the architecture hasn’t got there yet. – Its still working on connection, end to end  and roaming issues.

Re your Operator strategy point… agree – As far as I see there is no “mood” for IMS – as it’s a technology architecture that has no “end  user services” anchor..  End user services anchors have to be contemporary re personalization, presence, on demand, high capacity….easy to deploy … and integrate. IMS seems to have made web/IMS integration “difficult”…

Back to SDPs.. Converged web/sip SDPs… IMHO that is the only path for IMS…. Converged management, converged services, single views of services and entitlements.. IMS on its own, I just cant see that being a  justified business case

BTW  - don’t get me wrong … IMS has to coexist with PSTN and the internet under a common management system – so that its customers see a seamless environment …  So to me we have to focus on the operational  management of converged services  systems

Best wishes alan

Some good comments. the important thing in point of view are two comments

1- What is the Advantage of IMS
2- Why IMS is not being Roled out, Is it  Access Network Factor such LTE/HSPA etc or the Operators Strategic Mind, or Real Market Forces themselves

>From Operator Perspective Two big Adanatages of IMS are  Fine-grainded Call Control & Horizantal Service Control Model and Solution of Silly and Excellent AAA Model  to avert the problems due to Stupid Radius based AAA Solution ( has many shortcomings , can't type them here , we have been living with them from many years , thanks there are over due to Diameter now)

Market/Customer Perspective
The big reason for no real big sucess of IMS is due to unavialability of new & Killer services. People/Customers are not interseted in state of the art technology and backend solutions , they are interested in real services, the service that add value to their lives. No operator so far have been able to launch the services that should have created a  "WOW" feelings in customers , Providing Telephony services over IP, PSTN or POTS is not what user is interested in, he needs Good Telephony Service that might be on POTS by the way. So big missing leg i a think

Access Factor/LTE/HSPA etc.
We can't really say that IMS is not being succesfful due to existing Access NEtworks , Do we really have such services that consume mega bits of the Bandwidth? ( we can even tailer the Video Services to kbs formated channels)
So LTE/HSPA etc not the reason for no sucess of IMS so far

Operators strategy
The answer by Amit is relevent in some sense. The MNO operators don't want to put themselves in competition of ISP providers, Existing VoIP providers, IELC providers , Cable Providers , who can be the potential IMS providers, Also the IMS Deployment have Good CAPEX/Investment demands , in current economic slow down they don't seem to be in such a moode.

Your comments and rejections are most valued

Regards
INAMULLAH
ISlamabad , Pakistan

2009/3/25 alan lloyd <alan....@wwite.com>

Hi  -

[Message clipped]

Jeroen van Bemmel

Mar 29, 2009, 6:21:38 PM3/29/09
to Tom Nolle Public, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org, am...@amdale.com
Tom,

It's too easy to say "IETF gets it right and 3GPP / IMS has it wrong". One can find plenty of IETF "standards" that have been going on for years without resulting in anything. Also in the area of SIP there are many examples, e.g. the GRUU extension (see http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sip/draft-ietf-sip-gruu/) has been in the works since 2004 (i.e. over 5 years of discussion / process).

There are many factors that influence how fast these things go. Number of parties involved, relevance to the market, scope of the discussion, ...
Most web services / interface definition initiatives have a very different scope and scale, you're talking apples and oranges here.

Regards,
Jeroen

Tom Nolle Public wrote:

I agree with your points, Alan, and I think that we have to address something about the “why” with respect to the risks facing IMS.  I was on a financial conference yesterday and one of the world’s largest mobile carriers was speaking.  He said frankly that he doubted IMS would be deployed on any large scale, and this to a large Wall Street investor crowd.  Nobody disagreed.  But IMS isn’t stupid it is only (as Alan points out) late.  That’s what we have to address.

The IETF has the right idea about standards.  You draft concepts, build a test implementation that can be examined by your peers, others contribute or propose alternatives, and the process gels into something useful very quickly.  We think about “Internet years” in terms of consumer fads, but the same time compression applies to Internet standards.  We should not be sitting in rooms worldwide arguing over bits and bytes in dry documents and about when to say “WILL” and “SHALL” or whatever.  We should be prototyping our approaches and quickly settling on a solution.  That’s how web services are created, and since the telco world has to compete with the OTT web world, it’s how we have to create our own.

We have to move beyond our totally obsolete standards processes and not just fix IMS.

Tom

Mar 26, 2009, 8:54:07 AM3/26/09
to Tom Nolle Public, imsg...@imsforum.org
Hi Tom,

I think you are correct in your analysis that there is no QoS on the Internet due (at least in part) to the fact that there is no settlement on the Internet.  The GSMA IPX initiative proposes an interconnection system that provides both QoS and Settlement (not to mention security and other benefits).  I'm not an expert on the subject, but it seems to have the same look and feel of the old SS7 interconnection settelement model.  Do you think this could be the successor revenue model for voice?

Mike McKinley

Mar 26, 2009, 9:19:30 AM3/26/09
to Mike McKinley, imsg...@imsforum.org

That’s a good question, Mike, but one that’s hard to answer for a couple of reasons.

First is the scope of control of QoS that IPX can offer.  The IPX initiative provides for QoS Interconnect of mobile (or in theory any GSMA-compliant) operators, but the problem is that when you enter a URL from any mobile device you’re going to go off-net with your traffic if the URL is off-net to GSMA IPX.  You can guarantee QoS in a closed community, in short.  If you roam out of a GSMA/IPX provider you lose QoS completely.  I could route IMS voice (or any other voice) within IPX domains as long as the addresses stayed within those domains.  That makes the concept work for voice (most of the time at least) and other walled-garden telco services, but not for data.

The second reason the question is hard is that it’s not clear whether declining roaming fees (under regulatory mandate in the EU for example, or under competitive pressure) would create a situation where settlement became more expensive than the calls.  It’s also not clear how settlement would impact, or be impacted by, the shift toward fixed-price-no-usage plans.

I think what IPX might do is create a model for what I’ll call “telco Internet”.  The original ISPs were all overlay players; the current broadband ISPs are telcos or cable companies.  I’ve been involved in attempts by the telcos to create some logical interconnect policy for IP services, but the standards have moved slowly, and there are concerns that public policy issues will circumvent progress.

Tom

alan lloyd

Some good comments. the important thing in point of view are two comments

1- What is the Advantage of IMS
2- Why IMS is not being Roled out, Is it  Access Network Factor such LTE/HSPA etc or the Operators Strategic Mind, or Real Market Forces themselves

>From Operator Perspective Two big Adanatages of IMS are  Fine-grainded Call Control & Horizantal Service Control Model and Solution of Silly and Excellent AAA Model  to avert the problems due to Stupid Radius based AAA Solution ( has many shortcomings , can't type them here , we have been living with them from many years , thanks there are over due to Diameter now)

Market/Customer Perspective
The big reason for no real big sucess of IMS is due to unavialability of new & Killer services. People/Customers are not interseted in state of the art technology and backend solutions , they are interested in real services, the service that add value to their lives. No operator so far have been able to launch the services that should have created a  "WOW" feelings in customers , Providing Telephony services over IP, PSTN or POTS is not what user is interested in, he needs Good Telephony Service that might be on POTS by the way. So big missing leg i a think

Access Factor/LTE/HSPA etc.
We can't really say that IMS is not being succesfful due to existing Access NEtworks , Do we really have such services that consume mega bits of the Bandwidth? ( we can even tailer the Video Services to kbs formated channels)
So LTE/HSPA etc not the reason for no sucess of IMS so far

Operators strategy
The answer by Amit is relevent in some sense. The MNO operators don't want to put themselves in competition of ISP providers, Existing VoIP providers, IELC providers , Cable Providers , who can be the potential IMS providers, Also the IMS Deployment have Good CAPEX/Investment demands , in current economic slow down they don't seem to be in such a moode.

Your comments and rejections are most valued

Regards
INAMULLAH
ISlamabad , Pakistan

2009/3/25 alan lloyd <alan....@wwite.com>

Hi  -

[Message clipped]

Tom Nolle Public

Mar 27, 2009, 7:29:33 AM3/27/09
to Mike McKinley, imsg...@imsforum.org

The Net Neutrality movement and related activities are also pretty active in the EU and regulators there have been more friendly than even in the US, but yes it’s that overall activity that creates the risk.

Tom

Thanks for your answer to a difficult question.  I think there is an assumption by some voice service providers that the IPX provides the "middle" leg of an end-to-end QoS.  But the access and egress QoS must be by SLA I suppose.  But I'm not clear on what you mean by "public policy issues will circumvent progress".  By this are you referring to net neutrality issues raised by the FCC with Comcast?

Inam

Tom Nolle Public

Mar 30, 2009, 1:00:46 AM3/30/09
to alan....@wwite.com, Tom Nolle Public, Jeroen van Bemmel, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

This is interesting question:  What made Internet-era RFCs so compelling?

IMHO (MY views only):

  1. It was green-field?
  2. As Alan says, it made the access layers transparent - leaving applications to the developers?
  3. Has Telecom bound itself with its 5 9’s service & attendant security requirement?
  4. Have Telecom standards bodies’ been overtaken by industry-interests?  On this item, I can think of many many IP protocols & initiatives as well, which never took off because (beyond the founders of the technology), few agreed on the so-called “standardization”.  May be they were smaller companies by size, but they had their known.
  5. All my personal interactions with the Telecom world demonstrate complete intransigence from them – its “their” way or the highway.  Does this then point to Telecom world’s innate inability to cooperate, and thus progressively losing control to OTT applications?

Are IP service deliverers more collaborative in their approach?  If so, why?

Warm regards,

Amit

Tom Nolle Public

Mar 30, 2009, 9:05:38 AM3/30/09
to am...@amdale.com, alan....@wwite.com, Jeroen van Bemmel, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

I think you’re right, Amit.  In fact, I’d suggest that nothing that relates to moving bits around matters in the sense of differentiation and service value-add.  I think that presence, demographics, identity, location, etc. are the currencies of the service layer, and how you manage and exploit them is thus the key to service success.

As I said earlier, my own experience with the operators is that they are not only aware of the issues, they’re anxious for a solution.  The problem seems to be that they don’t know how to go about it.  In the last four years, the Tier One operator rating of their equipment vendors’ support for the operators’ monetization programs went from an average score of “more than satisfactory” to “unsatisfactory” in our survey.

I’ve come to believe that the only way to move forward with this is to focus on prototyping, meaning to create a framework on which you can build services quickly and then refine this through tests and trials.  I got more into open source as a channel for the service layer than standards as a result.  The problem with standards (other than that they take forever) is that they focus on the interfaces rather than on the functional behavior of the software system.  These days, implementing an interface is easy, so there’s too much time wasted.

Tom

Mar 29, 2009, 6:26:34 PM3/29/09
to Jeroen van Bemmel, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org, am...@amdale.com

I agree it would be easy to say that, but I didn’t!  My comment was specific to the speed of the process relative to the speed of the market.  Expediency has its costs (you’re going to find stuff that either didn’t work or hasn’t gelled), but so does sloth.  Skype and Google are both moving quickly and in the right direction, and I’m suggesting that the telco world needs to address the speed of alternative implementations.  However many reasons we might find for traditional standards lagging the market, the result is fatal nevertheless.

Tom

Tom Nolle Public

Mar 31, 2009, 2:49:04 AM3/31/09
to imsg...@imsforum.org

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Banibrata Dutta <banibra...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Amit Agarwala <am...@amdale.com> wrote:

Its true that GTalk, Skype have built proprietary protocols around their IM, VoIP, email, Presence etc offering.  The difference lies in the REASON – its purely business.  IMHO to some extent Internet still relies of grabbing eye-balls (leading to cross-selling & advert revenue as Google has amply demonstrated).  The day when consolidation is needed, it doesn’t take anything at all – Internet is the water bearer.

If that consolidation is ever needed, yes, it would not be a cakewalk, but not impossible either. You can do a lot of things at the edges and PoIs. For that matter conslidation on Telco space is no cheaper, faster or better either. Inspite of standards NE vendors have put in enough proprietary "edges" in their wares, and they only agree (mostly) on the common minimal set of messages and procedures, anything fancy and the NE vendors have their own implementations.

Point is given Skype, Google and Jajah, as the main players here I don't see consolidation as an immediate problem.

On the other hand, the Telcos have a difficult time ahead, with difficulties of interop reaching right down into Access, and right up to the services.  That I think is the trouble.

Indeed. And my belief is (as I stated earlier is) the contradiction that most Telco's depend on NE Vendors and SI's to do all the development/integ work for them, where-as, the likes of Skype, Google and Jajah have grown-up being developed in-house (or very large parts there-of). They don't have the need to use standards as a negotiation tool.

I think Telcos realize pretty well the trouble they are in, and they've been aware of it for quite a while now. IMS IMHO is NE-Vendor's soothing balm (wannabe) to allay those fears, and Telcos can see through the fact that IMS isn't going to be their Silver-bullet, unless it happens very well and now. Only thing stands between the Demise-of-Telco and the Rise-of-the-OTT-Lords, is the continued fragmentation in the access bit-pipe. The day the access bit-pipe blends globally (i.e. you can roam with ~100% assurance of your bitpipe to work) that day will be it. The other camp understands this very well, and thus all the debate about Net-Neutrality.

The NE-vendors will have the Telecom longtail to bank on for a while, and investments in transmission infrastructure would be required for the access at least, but can't continue forever. WiMAX and LTE have already seen lot of non-typical NE-vendors join the fray, leading the dilution of market-share and absolute market-size for the traditional big-5 NE-vendors.

Sorry for the far-from-optimistic view, but willing to hear arguments which can create greater optimism.

BTW, as a matter of coincidence, came accross this link which kind-of drives-home the point.

Duane Wright

Apr 1, 2009, 8:42:22 AM4/1/09
to Tom Nolle Public, am...@amdale.com, alan....@wwite.com, Jeroen van Bemmel, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

Tom,

Should we take this thread in a direction of “How do you supplement IMS to address the future?”

Absolutely,

Tom Nolle Public

Apr 1, 2009, 8:56:23 AM4/1/09
to Duane Wright, am...@amdale.com, alan....@wwite.com, Jeroen van Bemmel, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

I offer the following model from one of my slides as a starting point for a discussion, then!  (full presentation is at http://www.cimicorp.com/ExperiaSphereAndIMS.zip).

We use the model at the left to describe the “general architecture” for NGN services (hence the name NGN Services Architecture).  My view is that the components of an IMS implementation can be mapped into a general service control architecture in the way the arrows show.  The goal would be to generalize the elements of IMS so that they could fit into not only an IMS-modeled service but also into other models.  That means that IMS applications and components could be exercised by non-IMS services (Transport Control is a good example of what you’d like to exercise) and also that non-IMS applications could be linked with IMS.  The notion of the “User” in IMS is generalized to the concept of an Entity, and incorporates presence, location, and demographics.

Tom

image002.gif

Amit Agarwala

Mar 31, 2009, 12:50:39 AM3/31/09
to Banibrata Dutta, Tom Nolle Public, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

Its true that GTalk, Skype have built proprietary protocols around their IM, VoIP, email, Presence etc offering.  The difference lies in the REASON – its purely business.  IMHO to some extent Internet still relies of grabbing eye-balls (leading to cross-selling & advert revenue as Google has amply demonstrated).  The day when consolidation is needed, it doesn’t take anything at all – Internet is the water bearer.

On the other hand, the Telcos have a difficult time ahead, with difficulties of interop reaching right down into Access, and right up to the services.  That I think is the trouble.

Mahesh A.

Apr 2, 2009, 4:02:02 AM4/2/09
to am...@amdale.com, imsg...@imsforum.org
Dear Amit, Alan, Tom
i see you guys mention many a time that IMS will result in interop difficulties even at Acces level.... i dont understand why you say this...
..I thought IMS is IP-CAN agnostic.
Kindly elaborate.
cheers
Mahesh

Its true that GTalk, Skype have built proprietary protocols around their IM, VoIP, email, Presence etc offering.  The difference lies in the REASON – its purely business.  IMHO to some extent Internet still relies of grabbing eye-balls (leading to cross-selling & advert revenue as Google has amply demonstrated).  The day when consolidation is needed, it doesn’t take anything at all – Internet is the water bearer.

On the other hand, the Telcos have a difficult time ahead, with difficulties of interop reaching right down into Access, and right up to the services.  That I think is the trouble.

Amit Agarwala

Apr 1, 2009, 7:02:37 AM4/1/09
to Duane Wright, Tom Nolle Public, alan....@wwite.com, Jeroen van Bemmel, Andre Torres, imsg...@imsforum.org

Ditto.  “Bit-pipe” future’s got to be their worst nightmare.   Why aren’t the carriers or vendors waking up though?

alan lloyd

Apr 2, 2009, 9:21:21 AM4/2/09
to Banibrata Dutta, imsg...@imsforum.org, am...@amdale.com

Hi Banibrata – agree   and Amit  yes,    and Tom made the comment re operators and their dissatisfaction with vendors… is it the same with the  “architecture” processes too?

Why is Mr Telco not getting what it wants?…….

May I indulge again ….   Connectivity architectures (data model-less , lets connect up functions and servers)  and “the focus on the connection”  is – or was …king…

 For service based systems, such architectures don’t help.    We as engineers, now need to focus on customers, identity, time to market, rapid search, self care, service bundles,  targeted online offers and presence…

Look at all the specs and diagrams of IMS architecture… see any of the above?  See any engineering to do with service delivery platforms, scale, capacity, agility,  convergence and new customer acquisitions?

How does one describe this situation”? …Is it like trying to put propellers on a 747 once its taken off ?

Amit’s  comment high lights the systems engineering issue -   “On the other hand, the Telcos have a difficult time ahead, with difficulties of interop reaching right down into Access, and right up to the services.  That I think is the trouble.”

 YES, YES, and YES ….  and the reason is….connectivity architectures  (the traditional tools of the trade) usually do not:  define management issues,  cross layer boundaries, consider operations and product bundles…and so on …

From a OSI architecture, frameworks, services model, service building blocks perspective, etc …. The only function that interrelates and controls all layers and functions of the system is “management”.    So how can any system design be valid unless its management functions are shown?   SDPs  today IMHO  are governance and management engines for all layers of the reference model and for all identified resources in the system used in the delivery of services – based on identity, preferences and entitlement, service rating  and information performance…  And its not just the carriers who have this service delivery issue, its all high capacity internet enabled retail systems…

How do I seamlessly provide services which can associate with any layer -  call features, IP addresses, DNS, location, preferences and context in a complex event driven service  environment without a governance platform?

Question: If  we use data less, protocol connectivity methods (boxes, lines and clouds.. and drums)   as tools  to design systems . Will   the end users of such systems be staying in the market place relevant to the design tools?

What  I see from telcos is the desire to address the management of their converged service delivery systems and improve their business cost and revenue metrics.  All I see from IMS is a very complex SIP connection process…

Sometimes I wonder – who is actually driving the bus?

Best wishes alan

Apr 3, 2009, 6:52:16 AM4/3/09
to colin...@kpn.com, duane...@blueyonder.co.uk, tno...@cimicorp.com, alan....@wwite.com, jbe...@zonnet.nl, andre....@huawei.com, imsg...@imsforum.org

Nothing wrong with “commodity” – I use soap everyday like everybody else!

The tectonic plate shift is in “profitability”.  Bit pipes are generic items, with generic costs & profits associated with them.  The big-bucks are in the “services” or “value-adds”.

I don’t think the debate is that bit-pipes are bad or needless, but that the earth mass is breaking up:

  1. Telcom bit pipes COULD & are face increasing competition from IP bit-pipes.  Internet has a BIG advantage of being geographically transparent.  The playing field between Telco & IP-carrier is uneven.
  2. Value-added service revenue (which in india forms a sizable portion of overall profits) are beginning to shift away from “traditional” telecom Carriers.  Google-voice, google-maps, social networking, IP-TV – many examples & instances

IMHO, net-neutrality, QoS-at-a-price are turning to be serious questions.

I feel too that “free” or “purely-advert run” free applications on the web is not scalable in size or performance, but at the same time,

  1. this is also one of the legacies of the “eye-ball” Internet age.
  2. And we can't forget that circa 2000 John Metcalfe literally “ate” his words that the Internet in the present form wouldn't survive.
  3. Incredibly, we’ve come to “pay for phone calls”, but expect “free Internet”.  I wonder if LinkedIn, Facebook, gmail etc would see similar subscriber growths if they were priced.  It may only be about mindset, but that is what all of life is about.

And then again, the telcos are increasingly losing their control over the fabled “HLR” as well.

Warm regards,

Amit

I feel urged to respond.  Bitpipes rule. No bitpipes, no internet; no internet, no internet services and content distribution! What's wrong with commodity? Bitpipes have become utility, and we all value utility (in fact all on this list can't live without it).

colin...@kpn.com

Apr 3, 2009, 3:06:14 AM4/3/09
to am...@amdale.com, duane...@blueyonder.co.uk, tno...@cimicorp.com, alan....@wwite.com, jbe...@zonnet.nl, andre....@huawei.com, imsg...@imsforum.org
I feel urged to respond.  Bitpipes rule. No bitpipes, no internet; no internet, no internet services and content distribution! What's wrong with commodity? Bitpipes have become utility, and we all value utility (in fact all on this list can't live without it).

Apr 3, 2009, 7:37:35 AM4/3/09
to am...@amdale.com, colin...@kpn.com, duane...@blueyonder.co.uk, alan....@wwite.com, jbe...@zonnet.nl, andre....@huawei.com, imsg...@imsforum.org

There is one thing wrong with commodity; financials stink.  It generates poor margins and doesn’t justify much investment because it can’t generate ROI for investors.  The problem the operators have with being a bit pipe isn’t competition.  The US CLEC bust proved that access isn’t a great business to be in because of the margins.  The real issue is that we have growing traffic and not much growth in payment, which compromises the carriers’ incentive to continue to invest.

We have had technology advances that have wrung some additional life from the all-you-can-eat model, but the problem is that technology cost isn’t the main cost.  Service providers spend 18 cents of every revenue dollar on capex and 65 cents on Operations, Sales/marketing, Administration, etc.  If we cut a third of ops costs we could cut more cost than if the equipment was free.  The point is that if traffic goes up and more applications go on-net, it doesn’t reduce support costs it raises them.  There is no question in my mind that we’re running out of the “free-lunch” period, but that doesn’t mean telcos win.  Google and Skype can charge too.  It still comes down to keeping pace with competition and opportunity.  The HLR story you cite is key; something like Google Voice or Latitude comes along and does what telcos should have been able to do all along.  Why?

Tom Nolle Public

Apr 3, 2009, 9:00:48 AM4/3/09
to am...@amdale.com, colin...@kpn.com, duane...@blueyonder.co.uk, alan....@wwite.com, jbe...@zonnet.nl, andre....@huawei.com, imsg...@imsforum.org

I think there are a number of reasons why the process hasn’t collapsed:

1.     Technology and business model changes in telco-land were inevitable because of the pricing trends on voice calls, and so most telcos have adopted the idea that a broadband-capable access infrastructure was the key to creating high ARPU (Average Revenue per User).  This justified the original build-out, in part, of telco broadband.

2.     In the US, the cable companies had a broadband-capable structure and for competitive reasons the telcos needed one too.  That was another leg of the initial justification.

3.     The VCs have funded a lot of the Internet, and they are looking simply to “flip” or sell their companies, not to build them to profit.  This removes the normal ROI requirement.  But VCs are more interested in “green-ness” or energy or health care now because they’ve over-spent in the online space and because online properties that haven’t been flipped yet are getting harder to flip.

4.     Everyone thinks that ad sponsorship will make everything free, despite the fact that the total world adspend is a sixth the total network service revenues, even if you count every ad dollar spent and not just that spent online or video/TV.

Once you roll out an infrastructure you have to earn something from it, and so telcos have accepted the all-you-can-eat model as the only alternative to not having anyone eating at all.  But all of this justifies initial deployment but not ongoing enrichment.  Incremental investment demands incremental revenue.  That means that one of three things (or a combination of them) has to happen:

1.     The telcos/access providers charge incrementally for services.  Cable companies in the US do this now; they have generally much higher prices than telcos for a given service.

2.     The telcos reduce their operations costs sharply by investing in new service management tools (which bites into that 65 cents number) and then use the money to continue to enhance service even though the service itself doesn’t meet ROI goals.

3.     The telcos figure out how to many money incrementally.

Because the Googles and Yahoos of the world know darn well that they can’t ride the ad sponsorship wave indefinitely, they are likely themselves to be looking for services they can charge for, and that will be the signal that the four factors above are finally running out of steam.

The industry situation is a little like a household that’s spending more than they make.  You can do it for a while, even a long while, as long as people continue to cover you with loans, but eventually financial reality has to take hold or investment ceases.

Tom

From: Tom Nolle Public <tno...@cimicorp.com>

A Slight disagreement what about the current IMS network deployments in Japan , Korea some Part of US and IMS Core Deployment by Wateen Pakistan ?. Unfortunately i have not heard any big news about the IMS Network success story from these countries.  I guess they have the Playing Field , what is preventing them not to play really? might be they are not able to convene the Spectators to Enjoy ?

2009/3/25 alan lloyd <alan....@wwite.com>

Speaking for India , I agree totally.  CxOs of many operators have explicitly commented that they will resist all attempts to reduce them to “bit pipe providers”.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

alan lloyd

Apr 13, 2009, 11:00:49 PM4/13/09
to Tom Nolle Public, am...@amdale.com, colin...@kpn.com, duane...@blueyonder.co.uk, jbe...@zonnet.nl, andre....@huawei.com, imsg...@imsforum.org

Hi -  a couple of questions have popped up on the list –

One about IMS emergency services  - which concluded they are no where near completion …

and NGN standards where: “ ANSI, ETSI TISPAN and ITU-T have defined NGN architectures/frameworks and set of guideline/recommendations/standards. These, more or less address the same thing. “

As Tom and Amit says – that supports point 1

Vendors -  they have moved on to developing products and systems that enable  business’s  using what’s out there in the time cycles of the business world –we are now addressing “service delivery ” – we cannot be totally focused on the  reference points of a connection flow. …  e.g.  IMS promoted all sorts of services  , but seems to still dealing with a SIP connection.

Point 2 –   why should or in fact how can vendors provide “game changing” facilities..  when they have to base such investments and systems on Point 1

I think we should not forget that Telcos like any other business can be an evolving business, they can split retail and wholesale divisions,  they can invest in new syndicated infrastructure, they can own IP and technologies and they can provide support services and use their billing applications as fulfillment services too..  They might even be troubled by point 1 as well..

Telco  life will carry on..    But I do think the “telco standards” process is not helping them very much at the moment and is making point 2 a reality

Best wishes alan

Snip..>>>>