[IMS Tech] Using the Service-Route during re-registratiobn and de-registration

Rogier Noldus

Oct 3, 2008, 5:30:36 AM10/3/08
to ims...@imsforum.org

Hello all,

When interpreting the text in RFC 3608 (Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Extension Header Field for Service Route Discovery During Registration) literally, then the Service-Route may be used in any SIP Request that a UA sends, once registered. This would include the SIP Register request. However, what I see in literature and what I have seen in practice is that re-registrations does not use the Service-Route. As a result, re-registration will traverse again the I-CSCF.

Can someone confirm this? Is it explicitly or implicitly specified (e.g. in 3GPP TS 24.229) that a SIP Register for re-registration shall not use the Service-Route?

Thanks and regards

Rogier

Jose M Recio

Oct 3, 2008, 8:55:41 AM10/3/08
to Rogier Noldus, ims...@imsforum.org
Rogier,
I think part of the problem is that most of us are using not IMS clients, but more tweaked SIP clients, that do not follow all IMS SIP extensions.
What you comment about Service-Route could also be said about the several P-Identity headers, etc.
JM

Oct 3, 2008, 5:48:26 PM10/3/08
to Rogier Noldus, ims...@imsforum.org
Rogier,
Standards are clear, Service-Route should be honored by a compliant client. This means Service-Route received during the registration should be used to build subsequent requests, but not registration itself. This is because Service-Route is intended to help when requesting services once registration has been performed. Check 3GPP 24.229.
The fact is that there are not many IMS-clients around, mostly everybody is using modified SIP clients. I am not saying they are bad, just that they do not comply with some of the IMS mechanisms. Easing the communication between those clients and mostly standards-compliant IMS cores is one of the reasons why a SBC is sometimes not optional but a must.
JM

Oct 3, 2008, 12:59:23 PM10/3/08
to Jose M Recio, Rogier Noldus, ims...@imsforum.org
Hi Rogier and Jose,

3GPP TS 24.229 only specifies that Service-Route received in Registration (AND Re-registrations) responses should be stored
which needs to be used to compose a Route header in future dialogs/transactions (containing both P-CSCF and content of SR, in the Route header).

Also according to TS24.229, the above (using the SR info to compose a Route Header) is to be used in Ue originating procedures for all methods except REGISTER

What we have been seing in practice is that most UA used today do not keep track of Service-Route, and simply continue to use ONLY the P-CSCF
address (for which registration was sucessfull), in the route header.

(Then, and since the P-CSCF MUST keep track of content of received SR, it can sucessfully route all Ue Originating traffic (except REGISTER)
to the S-CSCF listed in the received SR  (200OK for Registration/Re-registration).

BR,

/Nuno

Oct 5, 2008, 4:08:20 AM10/5/08
to ims...@imsforum.org

Hi All,

As SIP seems to be directed at the replacement of SS7 and in addition its architecture offers a different set of access, AAA ,  session management and  protocol processing to that of the web.

From the Service Route and a few other SIP fields we seem (correct me if I am wrong) passing network signaling and configurations complexity onto the UE.   Thus complicating not just the UE,    but also all the issues of web/sip convergence (single view, single management)..

For converged SIP/web systems

Would it be wrong to assume that as web/ims sessions could be orchestrated for example with a “SIP cookie”..    Could we use HTTP / web devices into IMS systems with a IMS/SIP session cookie and let a “webP-CSCF”  type function do all that is necessary for the UE ?   In this example the SIPcookie defines the UEs   - register/invite/bye state , etc  and carries any network managed protocol fields that are really of no interest to the UE/Browser.

Are we in a similar position with SIP / IMS to email  where POP/SMTP was starting point for email and then Web mail came along?

Is there anyone working on converged web/sip access systems

Best wishes alan

Rogier Noldus

Oct 6, 2008, 3:25:08 PM10/6/08
to vya...@yahoo.com, Nuno Saraiva, Jose M Recio, ims...@imsforum.org, alan....@wwite.com

Hi all,

I think were now getting mixed up

See my previous response (Sat 10/4/2008 12:08 AM). Its true that the SIP UA does not use the Service-route for registration. But neither does the P­CSCF use the service-route during re-registration. Hence, the re-registration will again traverse the I-CSCF. Rationale is that the subscriber might have got de-registered without the SIP UA knowing. Hence, re-registration as well as de­registration will always traverse I-CSCF.

Regards

Rogier

I think part of the problem is that most of us are using not IMS clients, but more tweaked SIP clients, that do not follow all IMS SIP extensions.

What you comment about Service-Route could also be said about the several P-Identity headers, etc.

JM

Vyas Dendukuri

Oct 6, 2008, 12:25:32 PM10/6/08
to Nuno Saraiva, Jose M Recio, Rogier Noldus, ims...@imsforum.org, alan....@wwite.com
Hi Rogier,

The UE in SIP Re-Registration dosen't use the Service Route, because the initial Register request when traversed via I-CSCF the S-CSCF will send path header where it inform its IP address and the port number.And this information is stored by the P-CSCF,and hence when a Re-Register request is triggered by the UE the P-CSCF forwards the request directly to the S-CSCF instead of again sending to the I-CSCF.

And now the service route sent by the S-CSCF through the P-CSCF in final 200 OK responce to the Register message.

BR
Vyas

Oct 7, 2008, 3:43:42 AM10/7/08
to alan....@wwite.com, ims...@imsforum.org
Hi Allan,

We are working on a few projects considering converged SIP/web systems.
Our experience shows one important issue. Operators tend to purchase
ngn like services on their
existing VoIP infrastructures which are of course SIP based. They
stress the need of smooth
service migration to IMS. This constitutes a very critical business
factor. Services related to
sip/web convergence seem to be basic focus as applications delivered by IMS.

In that case webP-CSCF would not fit, especially at this stage of IMS
deployments.
Assuring service continuity would be difficult. The difficulty would
probably increase nonlineary
with the service complexity.

Beside 'Web' is a very wide word, there are plenty of different
technologies not only
HTTP but many more. Interaction between them and SIP in such case is
better perceived
as a form of protocol(technology) gateway. One can imagine plenty of
such cases and it would be
hard to arrange it all later on during VoIP to IMS migration.
We think that the best place to inject such functionality is the
application server.
We don't miss anything that is important we can still authenticate and
authorize
subscribers/services as well charge them in the proper way.

Kind regards
Tomasz Zieleniewski

alan lloyd

Oct 7, 2008, 7:20:13 PM10/7/08
to JulioGonzalez, Tomasz Zieleniewski, ims...@imsforum.org
Hi Julio - no definition as of yet (as far as I know). It was a name
I made up for an abstract function that could provide SIP core services to
web users.. The purpose was to see if anyone had ventured into this space
at all.

Best wishes alan

Oct 7, 2008, 5:38:16 PM10/7/08
to Tomasz Zieleniewski, alan....@wwite.com, ims...@imsforum.org

alan lloyd

Oct 8, 2008, 1:46:58 AM10/8/08
to ims...@imsforum.org

Hi All  -  I had a few off list responses and a few on..  The topic is being explored so that is good.

May I provide some opening thoughts?

For convergence  we need to define a “system meeting point”    - I like to take the perspective that the converged services management node (shall we say the SDP) applies common system functions,  and once these are put in place then the different entry/ exit protocols can be treated in a common (converged)  fashion.   Common SDP functions could be authentication, authorization, presence, session control, registration, identity management and event management.

Currently when we define a new protocols and architectures we then apply a dedicated set of system management functions too.  So we end up with different authentication systems, presence/online status, session management systems … and data models, etc, etc..

A foundation signal

IMS/SIP provides a Register method which enables “an authorized user” to let the system know they are on line or going off line.

The same register method/path could be used for IP based devices and web users as well as system service entities and content catalogues.  Naturally the “Register” in these cases  are internally manufactured based on interface interactions.   That is, what ever is in the system (and has an IP address/domain name) and reaches an online status is “registered”.

First part of the SDP design – a common registration/deregistration function and IP policy based address management system.

Once registered, particularly the systems services, other system entities such as users, applications can subscribe to those services (e.g address books, message summaries, user presence)

Once IP assigned and registered the SDP  notifies the DNS subsystem that the entity is available.

Second part of the design is a common presence status management function and publication via DNS.

The above design elements takes the position that all users, devices and services in the system can come and go in a dynamic fashion. The implication is that when “services” are designed, they have software to register (and de register) themselves on the  system .. Many services / applications today are actually hard wired or connected with SOAs..  Is that a good approach given that system services need to be dynamic and agile?   So because of e.g. dynamic third party services and service fail over/ reintroduction  - a common dynamic registration arrangement for all  system  entities is much, better.

Events -  within the system also need a coherent approach to identification, ranking, processing and reporting  - and this function should be common and converged (within the SDP)  as well.

The reason for mentioning the above is  - converged services are often requested by operators  but the actual convergence “architecture”  needs a common point to work on… I think the functions as described above are exactly that..

If this starting point for a convergence discussion is OK   --  I am more than happy to share thoughts about  web user access paths through the SDP’s  -  IMS and identity system/ web sip protocols

Best wishes alan

alan lloyd

Oct 8, 2008, 6:41:40 AM10/8/08
to JulioGonzalez, Tomasz Zieleniewski, ims...@imsforum.org
Thanks Julio - is your application "level" similar my service delivery
platform "level" .... if so ... fantastic we are on the same page
Lets us all know how the experiments go too (what are they? :-) )

Best wishes alan

Oct 8, 2008, 4:00:05 AM10/8/08
to alan....@wwite.com, Tomasz Zieleniewski, ims...@imsforum.org

Rogier Noldus

Oct 8, 2008, 6:44:19 AM10/8/08
to Dragos Vingarzan, Nuno Saraiva, ims...@imsforum.org

Hi,

Quick comment. It is stated below that Service-route may contain: P-CSCF1, IBCF1, IBCF2, S-CSCF2. I doubt the correctness of that statement. Service-route may indeed have multiple entries, but in my opinion not IBCF and not P-CSCF.

Regarding P-CSCF1: the P-CSCF to use for outgoing SIP sessions will be the P-CSCF that is 'discovered' during the initial registration process. The P-CSCF may, as part of establishing security association with the SIP UA, indicate to the UA that it shall use a different port number from then onwards. This indication from P-CSCF to SIP UA, about the port number to use, is done in the 401 Unauthorized, i.e. before the registration is accepted by S-CSCF and hence before the S-CSCF had returned service-route.

So, the P-CSCF address to be used by SIP UA for outgoing SIP sessions is the discovered P-CSCF address, possibly modified by P-CSCF during the registration process.

IBCF: A subscriber is not associated with particular IBCF(s). If a SIP session is to be established through an IBCF, then that may be accomplished with e.g. external-DNS vs. internal-DNS. The IBCF to route through is as such determined per SIP session.

Ok, maybe IBCF could be included in the service-route, but then you tie a subscriber to one particular IBCF, whilst the IBCF contains no subscriber-specific data.

Rogier

Oct 8, 2008, 7:34:42 AM10/8/08
to Rogier Noldus, Dragos Vingarzan, Nuno Saraiva, ims...@imsforum.org
I agree with you, Rogier, the way is described in specs, Service-Route is designed to be useful only for the S-CSCF.
P-CSCF does not include itself, is required only to check upstream and downstream Route set contents (*after* removing itself from the received ones), and if they aren't the same, as Dragos points, P-CSCF can replace the contents or drop the request altogether, but not include itself.
In cases where topology hiding is used, the S-CSCF may insert the I-BCF in the Service-Route. This does not mean that the I-BCF itself processes and understands the header, the spec is clear: "In accordance with the procedures described in RFC 3608 [38], an IBCF does not insert its own routeable SIP URI to the Service-Route header."
Part of the rationale for this design, I think, is keeping state in the user side at the minimum.
The network keeps state (the chain of nodes) using the "Path" header.

Nuno Saraiva wrote:
> Hi Rogier and Jose,
>
> 3GPP TS 24.229 only specifies that Service-Route received in
> Registration (AND Re-registrations) responses should be stored
> which needs to be used to compose a Route header in future

> dialogs/transactions (containing both P-CSCF *and* content of SR, in

> the Route header).
>
> Also according to TS24.229, the above (using the SR info to compose a

> Route Header) is to be used in Ue originating procedures for *all
> methods except REGISTER*

> What we have been seing in practice is that most UA used today do not
> keep track of Service-Route, and simply continue to use ONLY the P-CSCF
> address (for which registration was sucessfull), in the route header.
>
> (Then, and since the P-CSCF MUST keep track of content of received SR,
> it can sucessfully route all Ue Originating traffic (except REGISTER)
> to the S-CSCF listed in the received SR (200OK for
> Registration/Re-registration).
>
> BR,
>
> /Nuno

Best Regards,
Dragos Vingarzan

Dragos Vingarzan

Oct 8, 2008, 7:52:34 AM10/8/08
to Rogier Noldus, ims...@imsforum.org
OK, I did not think the IBCF in there to much, but I just wanted to make
the point that, according to the IETF RFC3608, that would be a general case.

The P-CSCF could be in there also. It does not break any standards, does it?

My view is: The main purpose of the Service-Route in the IMS is to
enforce the network's policy on originating requests.

The regarding registration - the Service-Route to be saved in the client
and P-CSCF is the one in the 2xx response. If you'd think in IETF terms
for the 401 and the challenge, the 2nd REGISTER is the first one +
challenge response. But a higher-layer IMS stack might never tell if
there were 2 REGISTER transaction due to the challenge or just one.
Yes, if you include IPSec security, then it might need to know that, but
I would say that even if it was introduced by 3GPP and is called
ipsec-3gpp, this is not an IMS exclusive feature, so I would implement
it in SIP stack. Anyway, too much detail...

The Service-Route is only to be used on initial requests. You have
already motivated why it should not be used on re-registration or
de-registration.

But it would never be used on the REGISTER after the 401 as according to
RFC3261, that is just the original message + authorization information.
So I don't see your point on why the P-CSCF can't be in there. It can
work without, but you have to put an extra restriction in the IMS client
that it would send all requests through a strict outbound proxy.

Cheers,
-Dragos

> > *To:* Rogier Noldus; ims...@imsforum.org

Rogier Noldus

Oct 8, 2008, 5:32:41 PM10/8/08
to ims...@imsforum.org

Hi,

Ok, then we have the following situation:

-       for enforcing that outbound initial SIP requests (SIP UA à network) traverses a (particular) IBCF, situated between P-CSCF and S-CSCF, the S-CSCF may add the address of the IBCF to the Service-route (over and above the address of the S-CSCF itself).

-       for enforcing that inbound initial SIP requests (network à UA) traverse a (particular) IBCF, situated between S-CSCF and P-CSCF, the S-CSCF may add the address of the IBCF to the path header. It is hereby assumed that the path header may contain multiple entries.

And yes, P-CSCF may store the service-route and force that the outbound initial SIP requests are indeed routed via this service-route. When the P-CSCF stores the service route, as it does today, it should not matter whether the service route contains only a S-CSCF address or also a (particular) IBCF address.

I agree that THIG is a specific functional entity. A P-CSCF may include THIG.

Rogier

Oct 8, 2008, 8:39:15 AM10/8/08
to Jose M Recio, ims...@imsforum.org

Jose M Recio wrote:
> I agree with you, Rogier, the way is described in specs, Service-Route
> is designed to be useful only for the S-CSCF.
> P-CSCF does not include itself, is required only to check upstream and
> downstream Route set contents (*after* removing itself from the
> received ones), and if they aren't the same, as Dragos points, P-CSCF
> can replace the contents or drop the request altogether, but not
> include itself.
> In cases where topology hiding is used, the S-CSCF may insert the
> I-BCF in the Service-Route. This does not mean that the I-BCF itself
> processes and understands the header, the spec is clear: "In
> accordance with the procedures described in RFC 3608 [38], an IBCF
> does not insert its own routeable SIP URI to the Service-Route header."
> Part of the rationale for this design, I think, is keeping state in
> the user side at the minimum.
> The network keeps state (the chain of nodes) using the "Path" header.

Rogier Noldus

Oct 10, 2008, 12:21:07 PM10/10/08
to kjell...@telenor.com, ims...@imsforum.org

Hello Kjell,

I have not come across this distinction in ENUM (which is by no means an indication that such indication ain’t there J).

When an entity, typically S-CSCF, performs ENUM query, it provides to ENUM only the R-URI (in arpa format). So, how is the Route header (which Route header?) taken into consideration in the ENUM query?

What I can imagine is that ENUM will or won’t return the SIP URI to the requesting entity (S-CSCF), depending on the network that this S-CSCF belongs to. Example:

-        If S-CSCF from country A queries ENUM for a subscriber belonging to country B, then ENUM does not return the SIP URI of that person; the call will take a breakout to Circuit Switched domain;

-        If S-CSCF from country A queries ENUM for a subscriber belonging to country A, then ENUM will return the SIP URI of that person.

(ENUM forms part of DNS structure, so ENUM in one IMS network could obtain subscriber data from ENUM in another IMS network.)

It is my understanding that operators will gradually start allowing ENUM access from S-CSCFs from other IMS networks in the same country. I think cross-country border ENUM access will take a while.

Regards

Rogier

Oct 10, 2008, 6:55:13 AM10/10/08
to rogier...@ericsson.com, ims...@imsforum.org

Hi Rogier,

I am sorry for interrupting this ongoing discussion. But you trigger my attention by mentioning external-DNS vs. internal-DNS. I have also seen in ENUM discussions that they distinguish between target address (Request URI) and Route header (interconnect point). Do you or anybody else have any information on how this is implemented in ENUM/DNS?

Kjell S.

Dec 4, 2008, 5:58:37 PM12/4/08
to Rogier Noldus, ims...@imsforum.org
Hi:

ENUM is also used when IMS node is receiving calls from PSTN/PLMN.
The MGCF/SG queries the DNS/ENUM for the subscriber ENUM , if the
subscriber is found, the DNS/ENUM sends the subscriber SIP-URI to the
MGCF/SG
This will contain the IMS Domain where the subscriber belongs. Now the
MGCF will route the call to the corresponding subscriber IMS Domain.
Some IMS solutions use E-DNS because many queries from UAs are perfomed
from outside the IMS Domain. The node I-DNS is always used for all the
IMS traffic and queries inside the IMS domain.

KR

///Mario Christopher

Rogier Noldus wrote:

> Hello Kjell,
>
> I have not come across this distinction in ENUM (which is by no means
> an indication that such indication ain’t there J).
>
> When an entity, typically S-CSCF, performs ENUM query, it provides to
> ENUM only the R-URI (in arpa format). So, how is the Route header
> (which Route header?) taken into consideration in the ENUM query?
>
> What I can imagine is that ENUM will or won’t return the SIP URI to
> the requesting entity (S-CSCF), depending on the network that this
> S-CSCF belongs to. Example:
>
> - If S-CSCF from country A queries ENUM for a subscriber belonging to
> country B, then ENUM does not return the SIP URI of that person; the
> call will take a breakout to Circuit Switched domain;
>
> - If S-CSCF from country A queries ENUM for a subscriber belonging to
> country A, then ENUM will return the SIP URI of that person.
>
> (ENUM forms part of DNS structure, so ENUM in one IMS network could
> obtain subscriber data from ENUM in another IMS network.)
>
> It is my understanding that operators will gradually start allowing
> ENUM access from S-CSCFs from other IMS networks in the same country.
> I think cross-country border ENUM access will take a while.
>
> Regards
>
> Rogier

kjell...@telenor.com

Mar 11, 2009, 4:11:54 PM3/11/09
to ims...@imsforum.org
Hi,

Another question is how the tel URI is used in IMS. There are some guidelines on tel URI and ENUM, where the tel URI is translated to a SIP URI. Tel URI is not routable within IMS. But a session with a tel URI can be terminated in the IMS network if the HSS support the tel URI format Public User Identity. My understanding is that this will be a termination from f.i. fixed network when a routing decision has made that this is a user in the particular IMS network.

Does this mean that there are two options:
1. Provision minimum two Public User Identities per user in the HSS, one SIP URI and one tel URI
2. Provision only one SIP URI per user in the HSS?

If option 2 is used, then
a. the MGCF would use SIP URI as the Request or
b. an ENUM translation between tel URI and SIP URI will be made somewhere?

To me it seems reasonable to provision as a minimum only one SIP URI per usetr in the HSS, and leaving the tel URI to be treated by ENUM.

Comments?

BR

Kjell S.

Franz Edler

Mar 13, 2009, 4:19:55 PM3/13/09
to kjell...@telenor.com, ims...@imsforum.org
Hi Kjell,

> To me it seems reasonable to provision as a minimum only one SIP URI per

> user in the HSS, and leaving the tel URI to be treated by ENUM.

No. You forgot that an IMS user also should have the possibility to call
users in PSTN. In this case it is necessary to always provide a tel URI in
P-Asserted-Identity header field, otherwise a CLI cannot be assigned if the
call terminates in PSTN.

Regards
Franz

Rogier Noldus

Mar 15, 2009, 9:05:46 AM3/15/09
to ims...@imsforum.org

Hello Kjell,

Normally, a subscriber is provisioned with both a SIP URI and a Tel URI; or multiple SIP URIs etc. The Tel URI is needed for terminating call handling from the CS network, as you mention correctly. The Tel URI is also used for Calling line presentation when the call takes a breakout to CS domain. When the subscriber establishes a call with SIP URI as P-asserted-identity, PAI, (set by P-CSCF), then the S­CSCF adds the Tel URI to the PAI. When the call takes a breakout to CS domain, then the Tel URI is used to set the Calling party number in ISUP IAM.

Bear the following in mind: when a call arrives from CS domain, then the MGCF may generate a SIP URI as Request URI, e.g. sip:+4612...@operator.se; user=phone. However, the destination party may not be provisioned in HSS under sip:+4612...@operator.se; user=phone. Rather, the destination party may be registered as sip:john....@enterprise.se and tel:+4612345678. So, I-CSCF transforms the R-URI from SIP URI format to Tel URI format. Now the I-CSCF queries HSS and HSS finds a match.

Anyway, complicated matter this SIP URI and Tel URI. Bottom line is that for being able to breakout calls to CS domain and receive calls from CS domain, the subscriber needs a Tel URI in HSS, in addition to SIP URI. The Tel URI and SIP URI will be placed in the same Registration set in HSS.

Regards

Rogier

Mar 16, 2009, 12:42:57 AM3/16/09
to ims...@imsforum.org

I wonder how Google Voice shall get plugged into these legacy/IMS/Next-Gen domains.  I am sure most would’ve already seen it, but just for the record:

Be very afraid: Google Voice has landed...

12/03/2009 - by TelecomTV One

Today is the day many in the telecoms industry have been expecting (and, let's face it, fearing) for years... well for at least 18 months. For it was in July 2007, after much rumour and speculation, that Google bought an Internet-based voice service called GrandCentral and locked itself in a room with it. Today it's revealed what it's been up to all that time. Google has entered the voice market.

http://web20.telecomtv.com/pages/?newsid=44648&id=e9381817-0593-417a-8639-c4c53e2a2a10

How do we think this shall change the telecom landscape?

Amit Agarwala

Mar 18, 2009, 5:03:11 AM3/18/09
to ims...@imsforum.org

Hmm.  Yes, I think “personalization” is lost in the whole game.  “Presence” shall be another great one.

So if I were to summarize what you explained in detail (thank you):

  1. IMS should align focus to enhancing core next-gen pieces like enhance services through effective personalization etc.
  2. I also think that too much T&M is spent on the access layer side (call connection, call completion), ignoring the services that subscribers & businesses really need.
  3. If we aren’t careful, then Internet may takeover a lot of telecom functionality – I think we are already witnessing that threat

Thank you.  I wear a dual head – product lead for an SCE/SDP as well as process lead for presales.  Unenviable it becomes sometimes.

Warm regards,

Amit

Mar 23, 2009, 9:07:06 PM3/23/09
to am...@amdale.com, ims...@imsforum.org

Thanks Amit , exactly… IMS  - Too much T&M on a connection  process in the telco paradigm, not enough on services in the new internet paradigm…

IMS -  unless one is really careful  perhaps will see some operators investing in it and then loosing out on the personalized services revenue base even faster..

I am developing  material for customer centricity seminar at the moment…

One of the slides is about moving from the old world of transactions (connections) to “the productivity and cost of a transaction”… That is what does a user do when they log on, what do they see, what can they do that may earn revenue – and what does this system cost to operate – give a user may do 20 interactions to log on, send their presence status and search – and then spend a $...and make a micro payment… what has that system earnt?  How does the telco BSS/OSS and  IMS work in this micro revenue space?

New service delivery systems  have to lightweight, fast and easy to prove and deploy..

Hope this helps

Best wishes alan

alan lloyd