[IMS Tech] Is it possible that one common STB for many service providers

YY Nedved

Mar 17, 2009, 9:44:43 PM3/17/09
to ims...@imsforum.org
Hi All,

Is it possible to have a common STB for many IMS-iptv service providers? Currently in Singapore, services providers all hv differnt STB and platform. Is it technically possible to have one common STB which support IMS, while different SP can have their own domain and P-CSCF. Then inside of STB, it could have multiple configuration files, containing many IMPI and IMPU, each of them map a SP. Users can switch between SP ?

Thanks&Regards

Nedved

What can you do with the new Windows Live? Find out

vlau...@drtech.fr

Mar 24, 2009, 4:40:43 PM3/24/09
to YY Nedved, ims...@imsforum.org
Hello,

I don't think it's technically feasible. Many issues arise, most of them
not being "IMS related":

* In most deployments, STB must integrate clients for middleware, VOD and
CA/DRM. Lilkely each ISP has deployed different IPTV platforms, meaning
heterogenuous CA/DRM, middleware, VOD among ISPs. In addition, each
platform obviously has its technical specificities and customization, such
as the SUI.

* Provisioning issue
STB is connected behing an IAD, which connects to the network. Let's
suppose DSL access technology. One example of configuration:
- The IAD establishes a PPOE tunnel to the homme network
- If the DSL access is from another carrier B, the PPOE tunnel is
established over an L2TP tunnel from the LAC in B's network to home
network
This supposes agreement between ISPs.

* Each customer has its own settings, such as subscribed pay channels,
parental control, some records... Switching from one ISP to another means
all customer settings are lost.

Regards,

Rogier Noldus

Mar 23, 2009, 6:09:42 PM3/23/09
to ims...@imsforum.org, YY Nedved

Hi,

Unusual e-mail address (yyy0...@hotmail.com)...

I don’t see a technical limitation for such multi-IMS operator STB. Maybe, the STB could even be IMS registered with multiple IMS operators at the same time? Otherwise, if you switch configuration file (è different IMPU, IMPI, Realm, authentication settings etc.), then the STB would have to de-register first.

Regards

Rogier

Mar 25, 2009, 5:24:43 AM3/25/09
to vlau...@drtech.fr, ims...@imsforum.org
Hi ,

I think for STB side, current deployment is STB per SP. However, open iptv platform has just released a spec ofr Declarative Application Enviornment, so is it possible that in the near future, there is a common QITF standard for all SP, for example, like those published by open iptv forum?

for provision, this part I am not sure....

for customer's setting,  pay channels,parental control and some records, these are tied to IMPU. For IMPUs of different IMs domain, they should be differnt... may I know "lost" meaning?....

Thanks&Regards

Nedved

> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:40:43 +0100
> Subject: Re: [IMS Tech] Is it possible that one common STB for many service providers
> From: vlau...@drtech.fr
> To: yyy0...@hotmail.com
> CC: ims...@imsforum.org
Make the most of what you can do on your PC and the Web, just the way you want. Windows Live

Anuradha Udunuwara

Mar 25, 2009, 2:13:06 AM3/25/09
to vlau...@drtech.fr, ims...@imsforum.org, YY Nedved
What's the connection between the IAD and the STB?