Grades on Outcomes

Ludo (Marc Alier)

Feb 22, 2011, 7:24:18 AM2/22/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com, Charles Severance, csev
Chuck,
we are implementing a BLTI app that binds Google docs as a BLTI activity. The issue of grades has appeared.
In a activity like this the teacher is the one who has to grade the work of the student, not like in the case of
tests where the student issues its own grade.
We want to add the feature to simpleOutcomes (basicOutcomes or whatever you call the thing actually) that
allows the teacher role to send notes back to the LMS.
So, what do you think about it? What should be the next step? Do you want us to code a first version and then you review it?
Cheers
Marc

------
Marc Alier (Ludo)    -   Phd. Collaborating lecturer. UPC - Barcelona Tech.
http://www.essi.upc.edu/~ludo  http://twitter.com/granludo  http://mossegalapoma.cat

csev

Feb 22, 2011, 8:27:16 AM2/22/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com, Ludo (Marc Alier)
Marc,

The Moodle module (1.9 and 2.0) already have Basic Outcome Extension services in place.   I can send you the documentation.

If you grab the code from

In particular,

You will see how the POST works.

And the tool at:

Already has an easter egg that detects when the extensions are available and makes REST web service calls back to Moodle (And Sakai and ATutor)

Hope this helps.

/Chuck

Ludo (Marc Alier)

Feb 22, 2011, 8:59:11 AM2/22/11
to Charles Severance, ims...@googlegroups.com, Nikolas Galanis, Jordi Piguillem Poch
Chuck,
According to what Nico and Jordi tell me, the current version of Basic Outcome Extension only allows the student to send back outcomes for himself, and I wish the teacher could send back grades and feedback for each student in the course/group (groups is another problem... sic).
Are we right?

------

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Charles Severance <cseve...@imsglobal.org> wrote:
Marc,

The Moodle module (1.9 and 2.0) already have Basic Outcome Extension services in place.   I can send you the documentation.

If you grab the code from

In particular,

You will see how the POST works.

And the tool at:

Already has an easter egg that detects when the extensions are available and makes REST web service calls back to Moodle (And Sakai and ATutor)

Hope this helps.

/Chuck

csev

Feb 22, 2011, 12:12:57 PM2/22/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com, Nikolas Galanis, Jordi Piguillem Poch, Ludo (Marc Alier)
Yes and no :)

Each launch contains a source id that can be used for *that* student.   But if you also enable the roster service extension - you can retrieve an entire course roster and for each student you will have the grade guid to set a grade for each student in the roster.  There is no "batch set all grades" - but you can set them all as the instructor if both outcome and roster services are enabled.

Here is a sample of the roster retrieval:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<message_response>

  <lti_message_type> basic-lis-readmembershipsforcontext</lti_message_type>

  <statusinfo>

     <codemajor>Success</codemajor>

     <severity>Status</severity>

     <codeminor>fullsuccess</codeminor>

  </statusinfo>

  <memberships>

     <member>

       <user_id>838283</user_id>

       <user_image>http://.....</user_image>

       <roles>Instructor</roles>

       <person_sourcedid>public47</person_sourcedid>

       <person_contact_email_primary>pubilcj22</person_contact_email_primary>

       <person_name_given>Jane</person_name_given>

       <person_name_family>Publie</person_name_family>

       <person_name_full>Jane Q. Public</person_name_full>

       <lis_result_sourcedid>887634</lis_result_sourcedid>

     </member>

     <member>

       <user_id>3736263</user_id>

       <user_image>http://.....</user_image>

       <roles>Learner</roles>

       <person_sourcedid>publica47</person_sourcedid>

       <person_contact_email_primary>studenta14</person_contact_email_primary>

       <person_name_given>Annie</person_name_given>

       <person_name_family>Student</person_name_family>

       <person_name_full>Annie C. Student</person_name_full>

       <lis_result_sourcedid>b828fed812</lis_result_sourcedid>

     </member>

  </smemberships>

</message_response>

I will send you the spec under separate cover.

/Chuck

csev

Feb 23, 2011, 7:57:32 AM2/23/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com, Jordi Piguillem Poch, Nikolas Galanis, Ludo (Marc Alier)
Yes - In Moodle the admin controls access to all of these services on a tool-by-tool basis.   This is for the *exact* reason you describe.

/Chuck

On Feb 23, 2011, at 5:48 AM, Ludo (Marc Alier) wrote:

Ah, OK, Jordi tells me that admin already can block information flow. So.. its ok,

------
Marc Alier (Ludo)    -   Phd. Collaborating lecturer. UPC - Barcelona Tech.
http://www.essi.upc.edu/~ludo  http://twitter.com/granludo  http://mossegalapoma.cat

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Ludo (Marc Alier) <gran...@gmail.com> wrote:
So,
the Tool retrieves the roster, the teacher sets the grades and being teacher he can send grades one by one for each student. Am I right¡? This would cover our needs... Niko, Pigui?

In another order of things, I think the admin user should be able to administer the kind of data that is sent to the Tool. Since, in europe at least, would be il.legal to send this all data out of the organization without the proper paperwork and parental authorization.

------
Marc Alier (Ludo)    -   Phd. Collaborating lecturer. UPC - Barcelona Tech.
http://www.essi.upc.edu/~ludo  http://twitter.com/granludo  http://mossegalapoma.cat

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Charles Severance <cseve...@imsglobal.org> wrote:
The Roster Service *is* implemented in Moodle.

*everything* in the extensions document is implemented in Moodle - look in service.php

/Chuck

On Feb 22, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Ludo (Marc Alier) wrote:

So, roaster is not implemented on moodle, am I wrong? If not we will implement it.

------
Marc Alier (Ludo)    -   Phd. Collaborating lecturer. UPC - Barcelona Tech.
http://www.essi.upc.edu/~ludo  http://twitter.com/granludo  http://mossegalapoma.cat

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Charles Severance <cseve...@imsglobal.org> wrote:
Yes and no :)

Each launch contains a source id that can be used for *that* student.   But if you also enable the roster service extension - you can retrieve an entire course roster and for each student you will have the grade guid to set a grade for all students.  There is no "batch set grades" - but you can set them all as the instructor if both outcome and roster services are enabled.