Re: Plugin Mediawiki BLTI

csev

Mar 10, 2010, 6:45:39 AM3/10/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com, Francesc Santanach Delisau, Antoni Bertran, Carlos Ors Giraldo, Jose Fernando Diago Rivera
Hello all,

The folks at the Open University of Catalonia (OUC Campus Project) have created a Basic LTI Producer based on their Campus Project work and put it up on Google Hosting below.

I will try to put up a test server for this in a day or so (today is a teaching day for me).

Thanks.  Great work.

/Chuck

On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:38 AM, Antoni Bertran wrote:

Hello I created a Google code project.

http://code.google.com/p/basiclti4mediawiki/

You are a committer too.

Antoni Bertran Bellido
3&Punt Solucions Informàtiques SLL
935325991 - 935325992
C.Aragó 390, àtic 3
08013 Barcelona

On Mar 9, 2010, at 1:50 PM, Antoni Bertran <ant...@tresipunt.com> wrote:

Hello Chuck I implemented based in your wordpress plugin and Jose Diago Mediawiki Oki plugin the Mediawiki BLTI plugin.

To work you have:
1) Put all unzipped files in to mediawiki/extensions folder
2) Edit LocalSettings.php and add the Authentication Extension  at the end

include("extensions/BLTIAuth.php");

3) Configure BLTI:
Remote Tool URL: http://url/mediawiki/extensions/Redirect2Course.php
Password: secret

I attached the screenshot and code

See you!
Antoni Bertran Bellido
3&Punt Solucions Informàtiques SLL
935325991 - 935325992
C.Aragó 390, àtic 3
08013 Barcelona
<Captura-TCUOC: Mediawiki BLTI - Mozilla Firefox.png>
<BasicLTI4Mediawiki.zip>

Guido Schnider

Mar 10, 2010, 9:56:53 AM3/10/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
That's great news! If LTI tools keep popping up at this rate...wow!

guido

Guido Schnider
office mail: gu...@id.uzh.ch
private mail: guido.s...@gmail.com, gu...@icu.uzh.ch
skype: bikegang

http://www.olat.org - Your Open Source LMS

Stephen P Vickers

Mar 11, 2010, 6:40:53 AM3/11/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
But what I think we also need to do is devise a standard way of
describing the Basic LTI-compliant tools. My first attempt at this is
available at:

http://space.ltiapps.net/lti2.html

For the mediawiki integration, for example, the questions that come to
my mind are:
- does it create a wiki space automatically for my context?
- does it create and update my user details automatically whenever I
connect?
The description page might help to answer such questions by documenting
which parameters are being used, but perhaps we need to extend the
structure to better address such issues. This documentation is also
essential for system administrators adding connection to a tool to their
LMS (they need to know which parameters must be passed and which ones
are not required and so can be omitted).

Note that the "descriptor file" is an option available in the Building
Block and PowerLink implementations of Basic LTI which allows the
contents of a URL (typically coming from the tool producer site) to be
displayed on a splash page when a user connects. Do any of the other
implementations for other tool consumers support this? Do we want to
create a set of guidelines for features which a Basic LTI connector for
a tool consumer should support? For example, the Blackboard connectors
also allow users to be given the choice as to whether certain pieces of
optional personal data are passed to the tool producer.

Stephen

Guido Schnider wrote:
> That's great news! If LTI tools keep popping up at this rate...wow!
>
> guido
>

> On 10 March 2010 12:45, csev <cs...@umich.edu <mailto:cs...@umich.edu>> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> The folks at the Open University of Catalonia (OUC Campus Project)
> have created a Basic LTI Producer based on their Campus Project work
> and put it up on Google Hosting below.
>
> I will try to put up a test server for this in a day or so (today is
> a teaching day for me).
>
> Thanks. Great work.
>
> /Chuck
>
> On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:38 AM, Antoni Bertran wrote:
>
>> Hello I created a Google code project.
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/basiclti4mediawiki/
>>
>> You are a committer too.
>>
>> Antoni Bertran Bellido

>> 3&Punt Solucions Inform�tiques SLL
>> 935325991 - 935325992
>> C.Arag� 390, �tic 3

>> 08013 Barcelona
>>
>> On Mar 9, 2010, at 1:50 PM, Antoni Bertran

>> <ant...@tresipunt.com <mailto:ant...@tresipunt.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Chuck I implemented based in your wordpress plugin and
>>> Jose Diago Mediawiki Oki plugin the Mediawiki BLTI plugin.
>>>
>>> To work you have:
>>> 1) Put all unzipped files in to mediawiki/extensions folder
>>> 2) Edit LocalSettings.php and add the Authentication
>>> Extension at the end
>>>
>>> include("extensions/BLTIAuth.php");
>>>
>>> 3) Configure BLTI:
>>> Remote Tool URL:

>>> <http://url/mediawiki/extensions/Redirect2Course.php>http://url/mediawiki/extensions/Redirect2Course.php

>>> Password: secret
>>>
>>> I attached the screenshot and code
>>>
>>> See you!
>>> Antoni Bertran Bellido

>>> 3&Punt Solucions Inform�tiques SLL
>>> 935325991 - 935325992
>>> C.Arag� 390, �tic 3

>>> 08013 Barcelona
>>> <Captura-TCUOC: Mediawiki BLTI - Mozilla Firefox.png>
>>> <BasicLTI4Mediawiki.zip>
>>

> --

> <mailto:ims-dev%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/ims-dev?hl=en.
>

> --
> Guido Schnider

> office mail: gu...@id.uzh.ch <mailto:gu...@id.uzh.ch>
> private mail: guido.s...@gmail.com
> <mailto:guido.s...@gmail.com>, gu...@icu.uzh.ch
> <mailto:gu...@icu.uzh.ch>

> skype: bikegang
>
> http://www.olat.org - Your Open Source LMS
>

> --

Stephen P Vickers
Technology Enhanced Learning Manager
User Services Division, Information Services
The University of Edinburgh
p: +44 (131) 651 4093
e: stephen...@ed.ac.uk
w: http://www.ed.ac.uk/is

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Antoni Bertran

Mar 11, 2010, 7:07:43 AM3/11/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Hello! Mediawiki BLTI Pulgin creates a new category for every context. The name is:
1. If is set context_label then context_label (not used)
2. If is set context_title then context_title (not used)
3. Else context_id

And Mediawiki BLTI Plugin register the new user in mediawiki, but if user exist doesn't updates user data (if is necessary is easy to do)

2010/3/11 Stephen P Vickers <Stephen...@ed.ac.uk>
[...]

csev

Mar 11, 2010, 5:59:12 PM3/11/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
This is a good idea - Rob wants to make an "Application Store" for these tools so figureing out which data we should ask for/say about each tool is a good experiment.

I also think that we will need to start exploring as a group patterns in custom a parameters to fine-tune how the tools act - some of the "does the tool make a new X?" might be something we allow the admins to control with a custom parameter.

/Chuck

>>> 3&Punt Solucions Informàtiques SLL
>>> 935325991 - 935325992

>>> C.Aragó 390, àtic 3

>>> 08013 Barcelona

Ludo (Marc Alier)

Mar 12, 2010, 2:57:41 AM3/12/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Hey if we are going to have an Appstore for BLTI, which makes perfect sense, I'm going to write a flashlight BLTI application!

Scott Wilson

Mar 12, 2010, 3:42:08 AM3/12/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest using a standard "gallery" format to make it easier for authors to select plugins from whichever sources are available (e.g. the IMS store, the institution local apps, local Wookie server, etc). For example, Wookie exposes an XML file for plugins to use to create their own gallery UIs (you access it with GET <wookie_url>/widgets.)

Wookie currently uses a variation on the W3C Widgets xml format but it would probably make a bit more sense to use Atom plus a couple of extensions.

csev

Mar 12, 2010, 6:16:48 AM3/12/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
This is a great idea - let me see if I got it.

We store the data in a public place with a URL the same as the launch URL or with a convention to derive the URL for the info - kind of like WSDL in a web service - if you know the launch point for a web service you just append ?wsdl to it and get WSDL.  We could even support more then one format:

http://csev.people.si.umich.edu/wordpress-mu/?info.xml

http://csev.people.si.umich.edu/wordpress-mu/?info.htm

Stephen has a start on the needed data model for this.

Thoughts?

/Chuck

csev

Mar 12, 2010, 6:21:30 AM3/12/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Yeah - my context dumper is kind of our equivalent of the flashlight application :)

/Chuck

Stephen P Vickers

Mar 12, 2010, 6:26:16 AM3/12/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure it is an Appstore that we need because the BLTI code should
be embedded in the released code for the relevant tool. What I think we
need is a place to advertise the tools which offer BLTI support and
provide links to where further information on these can be obtained, as
well as resources for tool producers wanting to add BLTI support to
their tools.

Stephen

Scott Wilson

Mar 12, 2010, 6:37:39 AM3/12/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
I was actually thinking more of how you get this information once its been aggregated into an app store. AFAIK the only important configuration information from a BLTI viewpoint is the endpoint URL; for Wookie/W3C Widgets its the Widget identifier (URI).

This is the kind of thing Wookie generates:

GET /widgets?all=true&locale=en
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<widgets>
	<widget id="2" identifier="http://www.danhagon.me.uk/widgets/TwirlyChemGadget" width="320" height="400" version="">
		<title short="">TwirlyChemGadget</title>
		<description>A Twirly Molecular Viewer Widget</description>
		<author>Dan Hagon</author>
	</widget>
	<widget id="3" identifier="http://www.getwookie.org/widgets/weather" width="125" height="125" version="1.0">
		<title short="">Weather</title>
		<description>A silly Weather widget</description>
		<icon>http://localhost:8080/wookie/wservices/www.getwookie.org/widgets/weather/icon.png</icon>
		<author>Scott Wilson</author>
	</widget>
	<widget id="4" identifier="http://www.getwookie.org/widgets/sudoku" width="520" height="380" version="1.0">
		<title short="">Wave Test: Sudoku</title>
		<description>Google Wave Sudoku Widget</description>
		<icon>http://localhost:8080/wookie/wservices/www.getwookie.org/widgets/sudoku/icon.png</icon>
		<author>Austin Chau</author>
		<license >(c) Google.com</license>
	</widget>
	<widget id="5" identifier="http://wookie.apache.org/widgets/multimce" width="600" height="320" version="0.1">
		<title short="">multimce</title>
		<description>Multiplayer TinyMCE widget</description>
		<icon>http://localhost:8080/wookie/wservices/wookie.apache.org/widgets/multimce/images/icon.png</icon>
		<author>Apache Wookie (Incubating) Team</author>
	</widget>
</widgets>
This is what the plugins use to make their own "choose a widget" gallery UIs.

So rather than being asked to enter a URL, you get a gallery of available widgets and click the one you want. This is how it looks in Moodle:

(This is currently the main UX difference between adding Widgets and adding BLTI tools)

However an app store could harvest this information from the tool site as you suggest rather than have to enter it when registering.

csev

Mar 12, 2010, 6:46:30 AM3/12/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
When I said "AppStore" I did not mean a place to sell the app - but just as you say - a place to find things.

More of a tool community.

/Chuck

Ludo (Marc Alier)

Mar 14, 2010, 1:03:38 PM3/14/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
AppStore is nowadays a so widely understood concept  that often is used for more than one purpose. But its seems clear to me that we need a central place where tool providers can advertise "appliances to make things (mediawiki, wordpress) to be BLTI producers" (do we have a name for this ?? ) or services. This one should be ... one, so we can then build a community of users and providers, and , why not , a marketplace... anyway we are not looking for a appstore, since we have no apps... but tools and services.

Zaitchik, Alan

Jan 31, 2011, 3:00:52 PM1/31/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com

We have to choose between a SAML-based SSO from our LMS to MediaWiki and a Basic LTI approach, for a project I am undertaking with some other folks here at Jenzabar. Personally I would like to use the Basic LTI extensions to MediaWiki from this project, and I think others will go along with this approach – if we can resolve a few questions. (On the LMS side we are already set with BLTI.)

1.       Are the various files at http://code.google.com/p/basiclti4mediawiki/source/checkout the latest and greatest? Or have there been changes to the underlying BLTI and OAuth code discussed elsewhere that need retrofitting into this project? I guess what this comes down to is: if we were to simply use the files from this project site, would we end up with the most reliable version of “BLTI MediaWiki”? Or is it going to be difficult to put together the set of files we need?

2.       Have people actually been using MediaWiki with these extensions so that it can be said to be fairly robust and reliable? I need to be careful not to oversell something that is still “proof of concept” or “demo” quality only. (I hope this does not offend anyone—I am asking in all innocence.)

3.       Is it possible for MediaWiki to create a user account on the fly for a new user, based on this code, or is that functionality missing? (There is an “out of the box” SimpleSAMLphp extension for MediaWiki that provides this, and it has become a sticking point.)

Thanks for your help!
Alan Zaitchik

csev

Feb 1, 2011, 2:02:07 PM2/1/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com, Evan Moss
On Jan 31, 2011, at 3:00 PM, Zaitchik, Alan wrote:

[...]

Alan - this code was put together quickly and so if you use it, there is not some large open source developer community backing it.

I do have one patch to the code that I will send to the list and make sure to get committed.

2.       Have people actually been using MediaWiki with these extensions so that it can be said to be fairly robust and reliable? I need to be careful not to oversell something that is still “proof of concept” or “demo” quality only. (I hope this does not offend anyone—I am asking in all innocence.)

We used it in a limited fashion at UMich using the aforementioned patch.

Don't worry about offending anyone - this is demo quality code.   But if all you really want is SSO and auto account, then it might be pretty close.  I would want to do a review of it for security issues as well - I just am not expert enough in MediaWiki to make any solid assertions.

One disappointment that I had after the code worked was that there is no simple way (that I know of) to isolate classes from each other in the wiki.   In other Basic LTI integrations, we like to put each class into a "padded cell" where they never ever see the other courses.   With mediawiki, once you get write access  -you have it for the whole wiki - and while we can set the user up and put them in a starting point and give them a link back to that starting point - we simply cannot stop them from wandering about.

Again, that might be the way the world wants wikis to work.

The way this was solved at Michigan was that this teacher hosted a special instance of Media wiki using this code and then sent all his classes to it.  But we did not send lots of other classes to the same instance - so he was happy that one semester could see a previous semester's wiki - in essences he was doing a SSO into a real, live wiki and not trying to make MediaWiki into something it did not do naturally.

3.       Is it possible for MediaWiki to create a user account on the fly for a new user, based on this code, or is that functionality missing? (There is an “out of the box” SimpleSAMLphp extension for MediaWiki that provides this, and it has become a sticking point.)

Yes, it does make new users on the fly.

/Chuck

Zaitchik, Alan

Feb 1, 2011, 4:35:53 PM2/1/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the info.

I found the MediaWiki BLTI extension code and played around with it a bit. It was not hard to get the launch mechanism working in our LMS, so that the user went seamlessly from the LMS into the particular area of the Wiki that the link asked for. I never got to the point where the code failed me because  in the middle of all this my colleagues here decided against using BLTI for this integration. The reason was that Wiki users will typically be following links into all sorts of Wiki pages from all sorts of locations (web pages, emails, blogs, shared bookmark collections, etc.), rather than from just the BLTI launch site in the LMS. So we opted for a real quick implementations of (non-seamless) login using LDAP authentication (trivial in MW)… with the SAML v BLTI decision postponed for now. Oh well… I am sure we will return to this.

Alan

csev

Feb 1, 2011, 6:00:26 PM2/1/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com
I am glad you got it to work - and I still need to get the patch from Evan in the code.

How folks use a Wiki is a little weird.  One use case this brings up is a way to protect a URL, SSO style where if you were launched in via BLTI - it just works and if you come in directly with a fresh browser with no cookie set, it redirects to somewhere in the LMS where an ID/PW is gathered and then the user is launched back to the original URL.

The one thing that makes this a bit tricky is that it slaves an instance of an LMS as it the tool needs to know the URL in the LMS to redrect to.  But once that is figured out, BLTI can play its part nicely in the redirect back to the tool.

Hmm..

/Chuck

Antoni Bertran

Feb 2, 2011, 5:51:30 AM2/2/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Evan's patch you go to Main Page and then you can't restrict to Category.

If you want to include special permissions for the others  categories/courses, like only categories/courses logged can be read, edited, created pages...
Usage CategoryPermissionsBLTI:

$wgCategoryExclusive=array("Category:cat_name","Category:cat2_name");//deny acces to these categories for anyone not in the group
$wgGroupAlwaysAllow=''; //set a group name to ALWAYS allow access to this group
$wgGroupDefaultAllow=false; //set to true to allow everyone access to pages without a category

//get the name of BLTIclassroom
  $course_name = $_SESSION['BLTIclassroom'];
//add groups to category permissions by:
  $wgGroupPermissions['user']['*_read'] = false; //Set permission for others categories/courses
  $wgGroupPermissions['user']['*_edit'] = false;
  $wgGroupPermissions['user']['*_move'] = false;
  $wgGroupPermissions['user']['*_created']  = false;
  $tag_category = 'Category';//'Course' //Be careful with the translate of Categoryç
//Set permission for current category/course
  $wgGroupPermissions['user'][$tag_category.':'.$course_name.'_read'] = true;
  $wgGroupPermissions['user'][$tag_category.':'.$course_name.'_edit'] = true;
  $wgGroupPermissions['user'][$tag_category.':'.$course_name.'_move'] = true;
  $wgGroupPermissions['user'][$tag_category.':'.$course_name.'_create']  = true;
  $wgGroupPermissions['user'][$tag_category.':'.$course_name.'_createpage']  = true;

//if yo want you can define special permission access for a group to all categories like this
$wgGroupPermissions['group_name']['*_read']=true;
include_once('extensions/CategoryPermissionsBLTI.php');

Antoni

csev

Feb 2, 2011, 11:53:42 AM2/2/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Antoni - go ahead and apply the patch as you see fit.  I don't have an opinion :)

/Chuck

Antoni Bertran

Feb 2, 2011, 12:02:21 PM2/2/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Oks I will wait Evan's response

Cheers!

Antoni Bertran Bellido
3&Punt Solucions Informàtiques SLL
935325991 - 935325992
C.Aragó 390, àtic 3

08013 Barcelona
www.tresipunt.com
Tel 935325991
Mob 677410818
Fax 935325992

Aquest missatge pot contenir informació confidencial, en propietat o legalment protegida i està destinada únicament per l'ús de la persona destinataria. Si vostè no és la persona destinataria d'aquest missatge, per la present se'l comunica que no ha d'emprar, difondre, copiar de cap manera, ni emprendre cap acció en relació amb ella. Si vostè ha rebut aquest missatge per error, per favor li preguem que l'esborri, així com qualsevol còpia del mateix i notifiqui aquest fet al remitent.
 Este mensaje puede contener información confidencial, en propiedad o legalmente protegida y está destinada únicamente para el uso de la persona destinataria. Si usted no es la persona destinataria de este mensaje, por la presente se le comunica que no tiene que utilizar, difundir, copiar de ninguna manera, ni emprender ninguna acción en relación con ella. Si usted ha recibido este mensaje por error, por favor le rogamos que lo borre, así como cualquier copia del mismo y notifique este hecho al remitente.

Joël Fisler - University of Zurich

Feb 3, 2011, 5:27:14 AM2/3/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Dear Chuck
We will release OLAT 7 with IMS Basic LTI integration next Tuesday here at the University of Zurich. Last week I made a demo of the new features of OLAT and also demonstrated IMS Basic LTI together with Media Wiki (and also Chuck Wight's ChemVantage Tool) in front of about 100 tutors here in Zurich. This week I already get the first support emails "How can I use MediaWiki together with OLAT?" and my questions are similar to Alans: Do we already want to provide such a service or is it too early? Or to ask the other way round: Will this code be integrated into the MediaWiki "core" and thus work "out of the box" in future versions of MediaWiki?

Greetings from Zurich
Joël

Am 01.02.2011 um 20:02 schrieb csev:

> Alan - this code was put together quickly and so if you use it, there is not some large open source developer community backing it.

Joël Fisler
University of Zurich
Multimedia & E-Learning Services (MELS)
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich

Phone: +41 44 63 55252 or "joelfisler" (Skype)
Mail: joel....@id.uzh.ch
Web: http://www.olat.orghttp://www.elml.org

http://ch.linkedin.com/in/joelfisler
http://www.xing.com/profile/Joel_Fisler

csev

Feb 3, 2011, 3:03:21 PM2/3/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Joel,

Evan can respond with more detail because he supported it for the UMichigan deployments.

But my simple answer is 'yes'. There might be a little bug in it that we don't know about, but the integration is so simple that it is ready for use. All it does is make an account, sign the user in, make a category, adjust the navigation a bit and then send them to the main page.

It is pretty much feature complete unless we want to make a padded cell - which would be really hard because Wiki's don't think that way.

So if you are happy with all the course coming to MediaWIki in the same instance - great - or if you are ready to make a separate MW instance for each course - by all means - get started right away. You might want to pick a few courses to pilot it for a month or so so you can gain a bit of experience.

The code is so simple that if you find a problem it is trivially easy to fix.

So I say 'dive in'. Because there is no "future version" being worked on that you could wait for :) It is done until someone decides to add features.

/Chuck

Antoni Bertran

Feb 11, 2011, 6:03:24 AM2/11/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Hello!!!

There is a demo here:

The users are:

USERNAMEPASSWORDROLE
teacher Teacher123*Teacher
studentStudent123*Student

And works fine (but slow very slow because is sourceforge hosting!!!)

The new version of mediawiki prevents of clickjacking attacks.

Editing includes/DefaultSettings.php you can change the value to works in iframe (other solution is to open in a pop-up).

[...]

csev

Feb 11, 2011, 7:26:26 AM2/11/11
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Woks for me :)

And you are right about needing to be patient :)

/Chuck