Update on the URL Bit in IMS Basic LTI

csev

May 31, 2010, 9:42:27 PM5/31/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Full LTI already included a css_url in the LaunchPresentation container. This was included in the BasicLTILaunch so BasicLTI already includes a definition for this. By extension of the naming convention already used for all the other launch presentation elements, the parameter should be:

launch_presentation_css_url=http://www.toolconsumer.url/path/to/lti.css

There are no rules or pre-defined classes but the consumer can do things like style the body, forms, paragraphs, etc.

/Chuck

Scott Wilson

Jun 1, 2010, 4:52:36 AM6/1/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't that fall foul of the SOP?

/Chuck

csev

Jun 1, 2010, 7:44:40 AM6/1/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 1, 2010, at 4:52 AM, Scott Wilson wrote:

There are no rules or pre-defined classes but the consumer can do things like style the body, forms, paragraphs, etc.

Wouldn't that fall foul of the SOP?

Sadly, I don't know what this means.  :(

What SOP are you speaking of?

/Chuck

Scott Wilson

Jun 1, 2010, 11:31:52 AM6/1/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Same Origin Policy.

You can't link to a CSS resource from a different origin than the host document, so this parameter can't be used without either a server-side proxy or CORS headers.

csev

Jun 1, 2010, 2:54:52 PM6/1/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Scott, most of my testing to date is that browsers *completely* ignore Same Origin Policy when dealing with CSS. Have I missed something?

/Chuck

Scott Wilson

Jun 1, 2010, 3:27:52 PM6/1/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com

On 1 Jun 2010, at 19:54, csev wrote:

> Scott, most of my testing to date is that browsers *completely* ignore Same Origin Policy when dealing with CSS. Have I missed something?

No, I just got the same results when I tried it. I assumed this had been closed up after the eBay attack last year that used external CSS, but it appears not.

Seems there is some debate in the Mozilla community about whether to block cross-origin CSS loading. The YUI documentation also seems to assume that external CSS links are subject to SOP.

May have to dig a little deeper on this one.