Does anyone know abtou CSS specifications for Open Social or W3C Widgets

csev

May 30, 2010, 10:07:16 AM5/30/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Is there a spec for either of these where the container provides a CSS URL to the tool so toll styling can match container styling?

/Chuck

Scott Wilson

May 30, 2010, 11:42:52 AM5/30/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
There has been some discussion on the W3C lists about widget styling, but nothing specific yet. Certainly the UC of matching container styling (e.g. in terms of typefaces and colourschemes) is one that has been raised a couple of times.

There is the view modes media feature spec (VMMF) for styling widgets according to the container view (e.g. floating, docked, fullscreen, events for changing from portrait to landscape, etc.) though I suspect this isn't what you're after.

The OpenSocial views spec is used to notify the gadget of the general layout used by the container for the gadget (e.g. home screen, profile page, main application) which is perhaps closer but still not quite it.

On 30 May 2010, at 15:07, csev wrote:

> Is there a spec for either of these where the container provides a CSS URL to the tool so toll styling can match container styling?
>
> /Chuck

csev

May 30, 2010, 5:28:09 PM5/30/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
Yes -that fits with how I saw things - I guess since there is no real precedent for inheriting container markup, I can start one in IMS Basic LTI.

Thanks.

/Chuck

Scott Wilson

May 31, 2010, 5:22:10 AM5/31/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com
On 30 May 2010, at 22:28, csev wrote:

> Yes -that fits with how I saw things - I guess since there is no real precedent for inheriting container markup, I can start one in IMS Basic LTI.

I suggest starting it outside of IMS as its of more general utility - put a post on public-...@w3.org for example, or propose an activity in OpenSocial Foundation or OpenAjax, or via OWF.

If nothing else the very restrictive IMS IP policy would preclude anything developed in IMS being adopted by other spec communities.

csev

May 31, 2010, 8:09:16 AM5/31/10
to ims...@googlegroups.com

On May 31, 2010, at 5:22 AM, Scott Wilson wrote:

Yes -that fits with how I saw things - I guess since there is no real precedent for inheriting container markup, I can start one in IMS Basic LTI.

I suggest starting it outside of IMS as its of more general utility - put a post on public-...@w3.org for example, or propose an activity in OpenSocial Foundation or OpenAjax, or via OWF.

If nothing else the very restrictive IMS IP policy would preclude anything developed in IMS being adopted by other spec communities.

Let me clarify.   In the short term, all I am doing in LTI is coming up with a convention for passing in a URL for the CSS.   For the moment, that CSS will simply style base tags such as body, p, li, h1, label, input, etc.  I was not planning on coming up with a complex set of classes - just passing in a URL.

That way some simple look and feel alignment can be done, leaving trickier stuff until much later.

From my experience in JSR-168 and WSRP and in the working group for JSR-286, I have found that coming up with a good set of CSS classes is kind of an art and I personally am not well equipped to even be part of the conversation :)

I would much rather that larger widget-oriented groups came up with a set of class definitions and BasicLTI simply forwarded the URLs rather than defining its own set of class definitions.

/Chuck