Cable connection for 3-electrode setup on Modulab Xm (solartron Analytical)

Daniel

Mar 12, 2018, 10:07:29 AM3/12/18
to Impedance Spectroscopy
Greetings everyone,

I was used to the old (and good) Solartron 1260, piloted via Zplot to make 3-electrode impedance measurements for SOFC electrodes in half-cell configuration. For that equipment, WE, REF were simply connected to the working electrode and to the ring reference (around the pellet) electrode, and the CE and second REF cable joined and connected to the counter electrode (symmetrically placed below the WE).

Currently I have to use a Modulab XM, also from solartron, and with proprietary software. The software has me select that type of measurement (configuration) I want to use, and I know for a 2 or 4 electrode measurement, it is the "Energy Storage (Fuel Cell/Batteries) mode.

Can someone more familiar with the equipement help with the cabling setup and configuration for a 3-electrode measurement?

Additional info: sample LSM / 8YSZ / Pt pellet, with 1.5 mm in thickness and 20 mm diameter. Furnace is at 700 ºC.

Thanks!

Gavin Reade

Mar 12, 2018, 3:04:38 PM3/12/18
to impedance-s...@googlegroups.com
We have an older modulab at work and I seem to remember that if you want a genuine three electrode setup you might want to look at a different setup type.  If your newer modulab still has the same interface as the older model, whenever you select a particular set-up you get a nice graphic which shows you how to make a) the connections to the cell and b) how to route the cables on the modulab itself.  Failing that, you'll fine that the manual is very helpful indeed (if you haven't got one) I'm sure you could download it from solartron.

Hope this helps,

greadey.

Daniel Marinha

Mar 13, 2018, 4:46:46 AM3/13/18
to impedance-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greadey,

Thank you for reaching out. They do have a graphic corresponding to different setups, but none explicitly mentions a 3-electrode setup. And I also couldn't find any mentions of one in the manuals.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel