An evening to select our next book

Anne Foster

Feb 23, 2023, 10:32:13 AM2/23/23
to IMC Dharma Friends

An Evening to Select Our Next Book

 Next Zoom meeting: Friday, February 24, 5-6:30 p.m. Pacific time

HOMEWORK

Take a look at the books people we will be choosing from below. This Friday, we will hear more about why folks are interested in the books they have suggested.

The Dharma-Inspired book group is self-led. For our current book, Anne Foster is acting as facilitator and contact person: afo...@rawbw.com

Now WEEKLY via Zoom!

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84573235424?pwd=cFpycVZMVnpQVmxqMUhiYXhod3AwUT09

Meeting ID: 845 7323 5424

Passcode: 696522

Dial by your location

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 845 7323 5424

Passcode: 696522

Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcYRvd8IPi

To receive updates about Dharma Friends events via e-mail:

Go tohttps://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/dharma-friends/ and follow the instructions under "subscribe to receive e-mail updates".

An Evening to Select our Next Book Suggestions

Boundless Heart: The Buddha's Path of Kindness, Compassion, Joy, and Equanimity by Christina Feldman

Suggested by Susan Black

I love this book! IMS read it as part of their book club books. She is giving teaching as we speak at IMS. This book is written about the Brahma Viharas like no other I have ever read, like no other teaching I have ever experienced.

She touches the heart and gently makes it absolutely clear that there is no other way to relate to people except through loving kindness. It becomes imperative and brilliantly clear.

Amazon look inside: https://www.amazon.com/dp/161180373X?ref_=cm_sw_r_mwn_dp_DN9Z16SBT63J3HAGEE9A

Happiness Is an Inside Job: Practicing for a Joyful Life by Sylvia Boorstein

Suggested by Marjorie Clark

Author:  Sylvia Boorstein Ph.D.

My Interest:  I enjoy Sylvia’s down to earth approach to life and practice. I enjoy her sense of humor.

Amazon except…… How can we stay engaged with life day after day? How can we continue to love–keep our minds in a happy mood–when life is complex and often challenging?These are questions that Sylvia Boorstein addresses in Happiness Is an Inside Job. In more than three decades of practice and teaching she has discovered that the secret to happiness lies in actively cultivating our connections with the world, with friends, family, colleagues–even those we may not know well. She shows us how mindfulness, concentration, and effort–three elements of the Buddhist path to wisdom–can lead us away from anger, anxiety, and confusion, and into calmness, clarity, and the joy of living in the present.

The Art of Living: Peace and Freedom in the Here and Now by Thich Nhat Hanh

Suggested by Anne Foster

I enjoyed our last several books, but I’d like something a bit less strident or insistent for our next book. This book has Thich Nhat Hanhs’ signature gentle prose. The book is his take on the “Seven Concentrations”: Emptiness, Signlessness, Aimlessness, Impermanence, Noncraving, Letting Go and Nirvana.

Amazon excerpt. Toward the end of the excerpt is a part of chapter 1 on Emptiness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ER6FZVQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o01?ie=UTF8&psc=1&asin=B01ER6FZVQ&revisionId=eec97a58&format=1&depth=1

How to Be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers by Toni Bernhard

Suggested by Samy Hernandez

Why: I've read her wonderful book How to Wake Up: A Buddhist Inspired Guide to Navigating Joy and Sorrow.

I think many in our group or our dear ones are facing aging and/or chronic illness (or will eventually), so this book could be helpful and meaningful to us.

Sample

https://www.amazon.com/How-Sick-Second-Buddhist-Inspired-Chronically-ebook/dp/B07CL5Q4Z4?ref_=ast_author_dp&asin=B07CL5Q4Z4&revisionId=825a8a9c&format=1&depth=1