This Monday and Tuesday, Michael Nielsen Speaks about "Open Science: The Promise and the Challenge"

joshua vogelstein

Oct 8, 2011, 10:51:51 PM10/8/11
to Joshua Vogelstein
Dear All:

Monday 10/10 at 10:30AM in Tilghman Auditorium at the medical campus, and
Tuesday 10/11 at 10:30AM in The Great Hall in Levering hall at homewood campus

Michael Nielsen will be speaking about:
Open Science: The Promise and the Challenge

There remains a minor bit of flexibility in his schedule, so if you would like the opportunity to speak with him, please email me.  The abstract and bio are below.  Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Abstract:
The net is transforming many aspects of our society, from finance to friendship. And yet scientists, who
helped create the net, are extremely conservative in how they use it. Although the net has great potential
to transform science, most scientists remain stuck in a centuries-old system for the construction of
knowledge. I will describe some leading-edge projects that show how online tools can radically change and
improve science (using projects in Mathematics and Citizen Science as examples), and will then go on to
discuss why these tools haven't spread to all corners of science, and how we can change that.

Bio:
Michael Nielsen is an author and an advocate of open science. His book about open science, Reinventing Discovery, will be published by Princeton University Press in October, 2011. Prior to his book, Michael was an internationally known scientist who helped pioneer the field of quantum computation. He co-authored the standard text in the field, and wrote more than 50 scientific papers, including invited contributions to Nature and Scientific American. His work on quantum teleportation was recognized in Science Magazine's list of the Top Ten Breakthroughs of 1998. Michael was educated at the University of Queensland, and as a Fulbright Scholar at the University of New Mexico. He worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory, as the Richard Chace Tolman Prize Fellow at Caltech, was Foundation Professor of Quantum Information Science and a Federation Fellow at the University of Queensland, and a Senior Faculty Member at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics. In 2008, he gave up his tenured position to work fulltime on open science.

Best,

Joshua Vogelstein
Dept. of Applied Math & Stats

--
If it makes you feel better, please remember to consider humanity before doing stuff. Otherwise, please just have a nice day.
openconnectomeproject.org