Special Seminar: Michael Nielsen Speaks about "Open Science: The Promise and the Challenge"

已查看 0 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

joshua vogelstein

未读,
2011年9月14日 22:28:062011/9/14
收件人 Joshua Vogelstein
Dear All:

I am delighted to announce that Michael Nielsen is coming to Johns Hopkins to discuss "Open Science: The Promise and the Challenge".  Though you may know of Dr. Nielsen from his foundational work in quantum computation (he literally wrote the book), he has recently been traveling around discussing open science, and his new book:  Reinventing Discovery", which will be available next month.  Due to the incredibly important role that Johns Hopkins has in shaping global science trends, Dr. Nielsen will be here for two days---Oct 10th and Oct. 11---and will be speaking both days, at the medical campus on Oct 10th, and at homewood campus on Oct 11th.  In addition to his scheduled talks (see below for details), he is also very interested in speaking more personally with individuals or small groups, including those participating in open science, and those who are not (yet).  If you are interested in scheduling a time to speak with him while he is here, please email me.  Talk details are below:

med campus talk: Oct 10th at 10:30AM in Tilghman Auditorium
homewood campus talk: Oct 11th at 10:30AM in "The Great Hall" (in Levering Hall)

Title: Open Science: The Promise and the Challenge

Abstract:
The net is transforming many aspects of our society, from finance to friendship. And yet scientists, who
helped create the net, are extremely conservative in how they use it. Although the net has great potential
to transform science, most scientists remain stuck in a centuries-old system for the construction of
knowledge. I will describe some leading-edge projects that show how online tools can radically change and
improve science (using projects in Mathematics and Citizen Science as examples), and will then go on to
discuss why these tools haven't spread to all corners of science, and how we can change that.

Hope to see you all there!

Best,
Joshua Vogelstein
Dept. of Applied Math & Stats

--
If it makes you feel better, please remember to consider humanity before doing stuff. Otherwise, please just have a nice day.
openconnectomeproject.org

回复全部
回复作者
转发