Fwd: [Coworking] Re: Anyone been to "The Hub"?

Dante-Gabryell Monson

May 3, 2009, 1:06:47 PM5/3/09
to imaging...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ray <ray....@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:50 PM
Subject: [Coworking] Re: Anyone been to "The Hub"?
To: cowo...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

The Hub is a franchise model, based on co-working ideas, but there are
some differences.  You sign up as a member, and pay in advance for the
amount of time you will use the coming month. There are various rates
depending on the time you want to spend at the workspace - it's very
like a mobile phone (cellphone) tariff structure.  The desks aren't
allocated to individuals or businesses, you hot-desk.  You pay for
what you use - time, phone, photocopy - same as the co-working model.

The features of the Hub that make it really stand out are firstly the
idea of a Host, a person to greet and introduce Hub members to each
other, someone who knows what business sector each member is involved
in, and who can make networking between members easier by making
connections between them; secondly the community of social
entrepreneurs, changemakers, engaged and committed people that the Hub
attracts and recruits; and thirdly the working space, which is (in the
spaces I've seen and visited) open plan, light, airy, well thought out
and flexible.

The community of like-minded people is a strong factor in the success
of a Hub. The prevailing ethos gravitates towards sharing of ideas,
experiences, knowledge and resources, and Hub members are no doubt
disproportionally drawn from social and environmental industry sectors
possibly because people working in those sectors value cooperation and
collaboration more highly than competition.  The Hub Worldwide network
is a social networking web-based application that Hub members use to
find help, advice and ideas and to make contacts with Hub members in
other locations.

These are personal observations and not intended to reflect official
Hub policy - in fact, "official Hub policy" possibly doesn't exist,
there is a huge amount of flexibility granted - but in the interests
of full disclosure, I and a few colleagues are working to set up a Hub
in Dublin, Ireland.  We have had many discussions about what we want
our Hub to be and the trio of Host, Community and Space are the most
important factors to emerge from our deliberations.

Hope this helps.

Ray