OPEN ORGANIZATIONS - Guidelines

Dante-Gabryell Monson

Jun 17, 2008, 10:52:51 AM6/17/08
to imaging...@googlegroups.com, Simone Poutnik, Chiara Simonelli, Farzad Private, dieter comos, Daiken Nelson, Sumiko Iwasaki, Michel Bauwens, CS, Marilyn Mehlmann, Florence Gibert, Caroline Zeller, Carolyn Dare, George Por, Helen Titchen Beeth, United Diversity
A site you might know , or that I perhaps already sent to some of us , and that I personally find inspiring ...

Guidelines explaining how to set up and maintain transparent, accountable and truly participative communities :

http://www.open-organizations.org/

pasted from site:

OPEN ORGANIZATIONS

The structures that organizations typically use for decision-making are closed: individuals are unaccountable, abuses of power are hard to prevent and knowledge is hoarded. The goal of this project is to explain how to set up and maintain transparent, accountable and truly participative communities. The desire for open organizations stems from a widespread dissatisfaction not only with the formal power structures found in governments and corporations, but also with the informal structures found in many voluntary and activist groups. Informal structures are sometimes created intentionally, but more often they appear 'by default'; since they are hidden, and often personal, they are very difficult to challenge, or even to identify and discuss. This is one of the major causes of conflict in activist and volunteer groups. It often takes up a lot of time and energy at the expense of the ideals pursued and projects undertaken, and has a demoralising effect on individual groups and on the movements they are involved in. Open Organizations is one of many initiatives that attempt to propose solutions to this problem. It is focused on elaborating a concrete framework for action.

Documents

Guidelines

Related documents

Related Research

  • Studying orgs - studying related organizational theories and practices NEW

Older documents

Early drafts of newer documents

Stories, links, presentations, related theory

Participating

Mailing list: openorg-dev

To register, so you can edit this Wiki (but please post ideas on the mailing list before making changes), email the mailing list. Registration was open, but dealing with fake registrations and wiki spam was taking too much time. There are technical solutions to this, but we don't have the time right now to implement them.

When contacting us

  • please do not email any of us working on it individually
    • unless you have a very good reason to do so.
  • Post to the mailing list directly.

Meetings logged here: MeetingsLog

Project progress / history of work done: ProjectLog

List of priorities to work on (used sporadicaly, not up-to-date): ProjectPriorities

Dante-Gabryell Monson

Jun 18, 2008, 11:15:48 AM6/18/08
to Simone Poutnik, imaging...@googlegroups.com, Katrin Duerkoop, manfred...@ec.europa.eu, Jason Conner, Jaime Gutierrez, Caroline Zeller, vishal jodhani, farzad. private, Chiara Chiara, Eric Theunis, Andries De Vos, George Por, Julian Still, Carolyn Dare
Hi Simone

thanks for letting me know the minutes are in between your hands.

yes , I guess this is typical of lack of transparency and access to information between each other - and of the " hidden " power structures related to information hoarding within organizations ( even though it might be involuntary and that we all might have the best of intentions ) , which is also a topic discussed on

http://www.open-organizations.org/

I also realize you seem to have a information overload , this again also depends very much " how " we deal with information.

I have seen many people working for organizations or on certain projects involving a lot of people getting burnt out , mostly because they where , like you , where very eager of making things work for everyone , but too often without delegating directly by sharing " all " processes with the community of interested people / through for example mailing lists.

by the way , I invite any of us interested to join :

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/imaging-the-hub/

Although indeed , it might also demand a certain kind of culture to work collaboratively while staying transparent and inclusive.  Having information of processes we go through available is very important in keeping it inclusive so that other people that wish to join can directly have some kind of overview of what is happening , overview of who is doing what , etc

without needing some centralized command and control structure , which for the moment , unfortunately , very much goes through Simone , and might well lead her to getting burnt out.

I m sorry if you feel I am repeating myself , yet I simply realize such situations repeat themselves and reduce our capacity to collaborate - while at the same time we intend to be a platform facilitating collaboration.  I still have a lot to learn too , yet these kind of practices are what I have learned from other open collaborative projects , or even when interacting with some people in youth movements.

Cordially

Dante

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Simone Poutnik <pout...@gmail.com> wrote:
yeah we could, would be nice if you would actually step up to organise a few people. I don't have capacity at the moment.

Manfred sent the minutes to me shortly after, now they are stuck with me. sorry. will try to do it before the end of the week.

could you please again cut down a little the email traffic towards me, getting a little overwhelmed and anyways not able to read them all.

cheers dears,

On 18 Jun 2008, at 15:15, Dante-Gabryell Monson wrote:

we can have the same kind of event as we had last monday :-)

although i would not be able to buy drinks and food for everyone.

it would also be nice to follow up on thet last monday.

by the way , we still did not get the minutes from that guy - sad

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Simone Poutnik <simone....@the-hub.net> wrote:
Hi Dante,

why don't you make a proposal, say for an evening event, also think about the format and how many people would be good to have (just broadly, more like 10, 20, 30...). We need to have some kind of basis to invite people for. Or maybe you come up with a wicked question that we could explore together, also recording ourselves, maybe even filming...?

On 18 Jun 2008, at 15:08, Dante-Gabryell Monson wrote:

sure , lets meet

its all ready - and if i feel inspired on the moment , it will be bonus

we can also record each other , and if we get internal dynamics , its even better

it might also be nice to have a follow up of the meeting we had last monday , where we where talking about the kind of organization some young people would be interested in working with

see you here :-)

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Eric Theunis <ethe...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hey Dante

We can indeed meet, but I would also be very interesting to have something a little bit more structured than a conversation, where you present/explain (to several of us) some of your findings that can be of interest to develop and grow the Hub, and maybe opportunities for yourself to participate to that development

Take care

Eric

From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante....@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 5:52 PM
Subject: OPEN ORGANIZATIONS - Guidelines
To: imaging...@googlegroups.com
Cc: Simone Poutnik <pout...@gmail.com>, Chiara Simonelli <chiara.s...@gmail.com>, Farzad Private <farzad....@gmail.com>, dieter comos <dieter...@gmx.net>, Daiken Nelson <dai...@gmail.com>, Sumiko Iwasaki <sumiko....@gmail.com>, Michel Bauwens <michel...@gmail.com>, CS <cityand...@skynet.be>, Marilyn Mehlmann <mmeh...@gmail.com>, Florence Gibert <flo...@gmail.com>, Caroline Zeller <carolin...@gmail.com>, Carolyn Dare <caroly...@gmail.com>, George Por <Geo...@community-intelligence.com>, Helen Titchen Beeth <helen.tit...@mac.com>, United Diversity <jo...@uniteddiversity.com>

[...]

  • Modules and Roles that organizations can adopt Erreur ! Nom du fichier non spécifié.
  • Studying orgs - studying related organizational theories and practices Erreur ! Nom du fichier non spécifié.
  • BoundariesOfOpenness - various meanings of openness and what stands in their ways Erreur ! Nom du fichier non spécifié.

Stories, links, presentations, related theory

  • Stories about OpenOrg (its history, its use, etc.)
  • Examples of groups that explicitly say they use the OpenOrg framework
  • Links to related work
  • Related theory: essays, books, authors, concepts we find useful/related