Fwd: links : alternative learning , connectivism , complementary currencies

Dante-Gabryell Monson

Jun 12, 2008, 9:33:15 AM6/12/08
to imaging...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante....@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 4:26 PM
Subject: links : alternative learning , connectivism , complementary currencies
To: vishal jodhani <vishal....@aiesec.net>, Chiara Chiara <chiara.s...@gmail.com>, nuria....@t-mission.org, olivier....@t-mission.org, pierre....@imagine-aa.org, Frederik Eichelbaum <feich...@ashoka.org>
Cc: weltenwandlerin <nom...@schreib-doch-mal-wieder.de>

In relation to our meeting yesterday , ( at the Hub Brussels )

some links below

1 ) Ted Presentation - 20 minutes - its worth it ! :-)

2 ) in relation to connectivism

3 ) in relation to complementary currencies

----------------

1 )  Dave Eggers: 2008 TED Prize wish: Once Upon a School

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/233

Dave Eggers asks the TED community to personally, creatively engage with local public schools. With spellbinding eagerness, he talks about how his 826 Valencia tutoring center inspired others around the world

and another video from the same conference series :

Sir Ken Robinson: Do schools kill creativity?

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/66

" extract at 6.15 min : " we stigmatize mistakes - we are educating people out of their creative capacities "

and more videos on my delicious links ( see tags such as " alternative learning " , " video " / and a combination of these

http://del.icio.us/deliciousdante/?setcount=100

-------------------------------------

2 )  Connectivism :

http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

Some significant trends in learning:

  • Many learners will move into a variety of different, possibly unrelated fields over the course of their lifetime.
  • Informal learning is a significant aspect of our learning experience. Formal education no longer comprises the majority of our learning. Learning now occurs in a variety of ways – through communities of practice, personal networks, and through completion of work-related tasks.
  • Learning is a continual process, lasting for a lifetime. Learning and work related activities are no longer separate. In many situations, they are the same.
  • Technology is altering (rewiring) our brains. The tools we use define and shape our thinking.
  • The organization and the individual are both learning organisms. Increased attention to knowledge management highlights the need for a theory that attempts to explain the link between individual and organizational learning.
  • Many of the processes previously handled by learning theories (especially in cognitive information processing) can now be off-loaded to, or supported by, technology.
  • Know-how and know-what is being supplemented with know-where (the understanding of where to find knowledge needed).

3 )
in relation to complementary currencies that could eventually be adapted to some of our intentions ( I can forward you some more thought on " intentional currencies " if you are interested )

see :

http://www.feasta.org/documents/moneyecology/contents.htm

and here an example of a intentional currencies which I believe could be adapted as to be guaranteed by foundations :

http://www.feasta.org/documents/moneyecology/box6.htm

and as we are talking about currencies , I might as well share :

http://ripple.sourceforge.net

http://ripple.sourceforge.net/concept.html

http://ripple.sourceforge.net/decentralizedcurrency.pdf

( although there is a mistake in this text , as money is not produced by government but , at least with Euros and Dollars , by a private bank / Central Bank - more details on http://www.peacebytruth.com/main.php?Post=292  ; and I also very much recommend watching this nice presentation - a must for all interested in understanding what money actually is , and who has control over it :

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9050474362583451279&q=Money+as+debt&total=1111&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0  )

more on some of my tagged links

http://del.icio.us/deliciousdante/currency/?setcount=100