add metadata to an image file

Philip Miller

Nov 18, 2016, 12:47:03 PM11/18/16
to imageio
I just came across imageio and it looks quite nice. Thank you for making it available. My question is: can I use imageio to read and write image metadata only. That is, I need to modify only the image metadata, so I do not need or want to read and write the image contents. I just want to read and write the header. This is both a performance issue and a data consistency issue. I need to modify the metadata without changing the image contents in any way.

Thanks for you help!

almar...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2016, 4:13:01 AM11/20/16
to Philip Miller, imageio

Hi Philip,

Some formats allow one to only read the meta data, but writing back only the meta data is not possible with imageio. It’s also not trivial, since the header size might have changed, and sometimes a change in the meta data should be reflected by a change in the data.

What format is your data in?

Regards,

  Almar

Philip Miller

Nov 21, 2016, 9:47:42 AM11/21/16
to imageio, pwmill...@gmail.com
Right now I am using jpg files. I believe that piexif, https://pypi.python.org/pypi/piexif, does what I need, but I would like to suggest that imageio also have this capability.

almar...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2016, 4:26:01 AM11/23/16
to Philip Miller, imageio, pwmill...@gmail.com

It depends a lot on the specific plugin whether imageio can support this. I’m almost done with adding a Pillow plugin (to deprecate the freeimage plugin). If Pillow can support what you want, we could see how we can make imageio support it too. Could you make an issue on Github to track this?

- Almar