GIF Parser Reads First Occurance of Dimension Markers, Ignores The Second

Lance Marchetti

Feb 13, 2024, 8:53:31 AMFeb 13
to ImageGlass Community
Hi Guys, just a suggestion regarding the ImageGlass parser settings for GIF binary.
Could you possibly please set it to read from the second (repeated) dimension block which appears later in the GIF header info, instead of only from the first dimension block? Or is there a reason why it must be from the first?

Viewers that bypass the  first Dimension Bytes and read the second occurrence of the  Dimension Bytes are:
XnView, Chrome, Firefox, IrfanView, FastStone, LibreOffice,

Viewers that read the first Dimension Bytes as priority over the second are:
ImageGlass, qView, MSPaint, ACDsee, Gimp, SumatraPDF

Viewers that refuse to open  a GIF where the first 4 Dimension Byte values are different to the second Dimension sector:
Internet Explorer

Attached Examples:

Image A: 86x34 pixels  (as indicated in the ImageGlass info tab)
Hex Values:
Dimension Sector 1: (54002400)
Dimension Sector 2: (54002400)
Dimensions Byte Positions for this specific file: 7 to10  (4-bytes)  67 to 70 (4bytes)

Image B: 42x42 pixels  (as indicated in the ImageGlass info tab)
Hex Values:
Dimension Sector 1: (2A002A00)
Dimension Sector 2: (54002400)
Dimensions Byte Positions for this specific file: 7 to10  (4-bytes)  67 to 70 (4bytes)

Hope I'm making sense, and not too long-winded. I'm not a programmer or anything. I drive trucks as my day job, and learn some scripting after hours. So I would just love to know how this works.

Thanks
LanceM
Image-B.gif
Image-A.gif

ImageGlass Community

Feb 13, 2024, 9:13:33 AMFeb 13
to ImageGlass Community
Hi LanceM,

ImageGlass uses Magick.NET library to read image formats and the metadata as well.
I will check with Magick.NET fork about this issue

Phap

Lance Marchetti

Feb 14, 2024, 7:35:00 AMFeb 14
to image...@googlegroups.com