ImageGlass change other apps icons

1131...@student.unklab.ac.id

Sep 7, 2017, 11:36:34 PM9/7/17
to ImageGlass Community
When I register ImageGlass (64 bit) as my default image viewer, two of my apps icon changed into imageglass icons. It was Adobe Reader and Transmission. Is there anything to do to prevent that?

Dương Diệu Pháp

Nov 13, 2017, 9:59:29 PM11/13/17
to ImageGlass Community
Hi,

In ImageGlass 4.1, you can open Registry Editor, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ImageGlass.AssocFile\DefaultIcon

remove the value in (Default) key.
You may need to sign out and sign in to apply changes.

Phap

static...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2018, 5:36:01 PM2/28/18
to ImageGlass Community
I have the same problem and I have tried what was suggested, but the problem persists (even after signing out and back in). I have included a screen capture of the problem.

Dương Diệu Pháp

Feb 28, 2018, 9:37:34 PM2/28/18
to ImageGlass Community

static...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2018, 3:26:12 PM3/1/18
to ImageGlass Community
I think you misunderstand, I'm not having issue with it as the default viewer, I'm having a problem with it hijacking my shortcut and application icons.

jonas....@protonmail.ch

Mar 2, 2018, 4:54:22 AM3/2/18
to ImageGlass Community
Hi

I'm experiencing the same problem as the questioner. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and Evernote were already installed before I used ImageGlass and everything worked fine. But after installing ImageGlass and setting it as the default picture viewer, all shortcuts of both programs show the ImageGlass icon instead of their own icons.
The solution offered here doesn't work and I think it shouldn't be related to the file association of image files. Has someone else a working solution or does someone even know why this problems appears.

Greetings

jonas....@protonmail.ch

Mar 2, 2018, 5:43:04 AM3/2/18
to ImageGlass Community
I tried a few things concerning this problem. The solution provided first didn't worked for me. But now I found a solution which at least works for me and should also work for many others. After changing the file association of .ico files to the Windows 10 Photos app, the mentioned shortcuts didn't show the icon of ImageGlass, now I can see an icon of Windows 10 Photos app. Therefore, ther must be a problem with the Explorer's handling of showing the content of .ico files when a program is associated to this file. It may be a problem of the Explorer or a problem of some programs, I actually don't know.
Finally, I solved the problem by deleting the .ico key in registry path "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts". This removes the association and in future you need to open .ico files manually by 'Open with...'->(uncheck the option to always open with)->ImageGlass. Now, everything should be mostly fine.

s.sh...@crystals.ru

Mar 20, 2018, 4:46:53 AM3/20/18
to ImageGlass Community
Not helped.

Still have this annoying icon.
Tried even delete ImageGlass.

lifeatt...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2018, 12:59:37 PM4/26/18
to ImageGlass Community
Thank you! The screen shot truly clarifies the question. The issue is the icon for the application (Acrobat Reader, Evernote, etc) has been changed. Not the file types associated with the application.

A quick Google for "acrobat reader icon missing windows 10" or "evernote icon missing windows 10" provides a number of hits where the Acrobat Reader or Evernote icon have changed spontaneously. These issues go back a few years now. It is pure coincidence that the ImageGlass icon is showing up. I'm guessing that Transmission is also impacted in the same way.

The icon for the application itself (Acrobat Reader, etc) needs to be fixed.
1. Find the application executable (e.g. AcroRd32.exe)
2. Right-click on the exe, and create a shortcut on the desktop. It should have the correct icon.
3. Pin that to your taskbar or start menu as desired.

Dương Diệu Pháp

Apr 26, 2018, 9:03:04 PM4/26/18
to ImageGlass Community
Thanks for reply!
It seems not an issue of ImageGlass

stev...@braintapper.com

Jun 27, 2018, 11:05:03 AM6/27/18
to ImageGlass Community
I have the same problem. Many of my App store icons have been replaced with the ImageGlass icon. This includes applications that were installed *after* ImagGlass. The problem never happened until I installed ImageGlass. I also uninstalled the app, and the problem persists.I tend to think ImageGlass did something.

stev...@braintapper.com

Jun 27, 2018, 12:40:32 PM6/27/18
to ImageGlass Community
I think I've identified the root cause. When ImageGlass takes over the default file association for PNG, Cortana does not like it. Instead, it will show the ImageGlass icon instead of the proper icon.

I still have not found a fix. Deleting the AppIconCache in ../AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_{{long random string}}/LocalState/AppIconCache helped remove all the ImageGlass icons but now it defaults to a vanilla document icon.

lifeatt...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2018, 1:20:53 PM6/27/18
to ImageGlass Community
Another data point! Thanks!

I'm wondering if rebuilding or clearing the thumbnail cache would help with this issue?

stev...@braintapper.com

Jun 27, 2018, 1:39:30 PM6/27/18
to ImageGlass Community
I actually ran that app to rebuild and clear both the thumbnail and icon cache and rebooted.

Oddly enough, only one icon is fixed -- Netflix. Everything else is still the vanilla document icon.

I don't know if it takes time for them to rebuild after the reboot. Will report back if it resolves itself.

zif...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2018, 10:33:05 AM12/14/18
to ImageGlass Community
Did anyone every solve this issue? I have a similar problem when searching the start menu for windows applications.

For instance:

imageglassissue.png

This happens for all the newer Windows apps.

jon.as...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2019, 9:15:33 PM3/6/19
to ImageGlass Community
I resolved it by uninstalling ImageGlass. ;-)

duane....@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2019, 6:30:52 PM8/24/19
to ImageGlass Community
This is certainly an issue with ImageGlass.

This also happened to me with the latest version.

duane....@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2019, 6:33:18 PM8/24/19
to ImageGlass Community
I have the exact same issue after installing ImageGlass. So this is not relevant.

duane....@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2019, 6:33:58 PM8/24/19
to ImageGlass Community
Clearly not the best answer.

This is totally unrelated.

Phap Duong

Aug 24, 2019, 10:37:54 PM8/24/19
to ImageGlass Community
Can you try
- or removing the associated file extensions of ImageGlass by running command in Command Prompt:

igtasks.exe delassociations

thewe...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2019, 12:55:10 PM11/16/19
to ImageGlass Community
This is a very frustrating issue.  It seems that the ICO association is the cause.  It's probably best to remove this association all together.

lanwar...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2020, 4:28:25 PM4/5/20
to ImageGlass Community
1. Klick START, hold SHIFT key, klick POWER, RESTART (SHIFT key still pressed)
2. Select Troubleshoot -> Advanced -> Command Promt
3. Windows will restart without Desktop but will open a command promt after login.
4. at the command promt:

cd c:
cd users\fillyourusernamehere\appdata\local\packages\
del /S /Q *.*
cd ..
cd Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\
del iconcache*
del thumbcache*
exit

now klick on shut down
start up again

et voila - problem solved =)

Best regards
Martin (Hospital IT Administrator - Berlin)

lanwar...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2020, 3:22:40 AM4/6/20
to ImageGlass Community
For your safety:

It might not be required to delete all files and folders in
users\fillyourusernamehere\appdata\local\packages\
because this will reset / delete all settings done to Windows APPS
like Windows Mail, Edge Browser, etc. (third party apps unaffected)

You can try and just delete the Cortana folder like this:

cd users\fillyourusernamehere\appdata\local\packages\
del /S /Q *Cortana*

puggle...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2021, 12:19:24 AM1/3/21
to ImageGlass Community
It's 2021, I'm on Kobe version 8.0.12.8 and I'm still having this issue with ImageGlass hijacking other programs' icons. What's the deal?

Jared Brank

Jan 3, 2021, 7:11:03 PM1/3/21
to ImageGlass Community
I have spent a bunch of time including deleting all iconcache files in the windows\explorer folder and also in %localappdata% and nothing worked. This worked: I removed all associations with igtasks and then deleted the .ico association in image glass, then registered the associations that were remaining. Then, a tip led me on to changing scaling to some number other than 100%, logging out, logging in, and then changing it back to 100%, then restarting. It appears to be something with icon caching for the start menu. The issue is fixed. Maybe you can use procmon of process explorer to see what resources are being accessed by this and also during ImageGlass install that are both touched and solve the issue this way. This is such an annoyance and has happened on every computer I've ever installed ImageGlass on but I'm glad I finally found a fix. Frankly it's such a pain it's almost a deal breaker.

Duong Dieu Phap

Jan 3, 2021, 10:15:49 PM1/3/21
to ImageGlass Community
Thanks Jared Brank,
Honestly, I have no idea about this issue as it does not happen to my machines.

This worked: I removed all associations with igtasks and then deleted the .ico association in image glass, then registered the associations that were remaining. Then, a tip led me on to changing scaling to some number other than 100%, logging out, logging in, and then changing it back to 100%, then restarting. It appears to be something with icon caching for the start menu. The issue is fixed.

I will investigate it further, thanks for the steps.

--
ImageGlass community
www.imageglass.org

Jared Brank

Jan 3, 2021, 11:00:37 PM1/3/21
to Duong Dieu Phap, ImageGlass Community
This has happened on 4 separate computers I’ve had over the last few years... every single one I’ve installed ImageGlass on. It doesn’t seem to read its head immediately. It affects subsequently installed or updated programs only and gets worse over time as programs are updated.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 3, 2021, at 21:15, Duong Dieu Phap <ddp...@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ImageGlass Community" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/imageglass/CALn-ga3eCxJiAbtzeCG0oZxtHu%3DRtOOYY4MY%2Bp8kTn6YDZH6Vw%40mail.gmail.com.

Jon Aseltine

Jan 3, 2021, 11:07:17 PM1/3/21
to Jared Brank, Duong Dieu Phap, ImageGlass Community

Happened on two of my boxes. I had to reinstall Windows to fix it (I couldn’t figure out what you did below). Needless to say I’ll never install it again. Give QuickLook a try: it handles just about any file type you can throw at it (not just image types) and doesn’t mess up with your file associations.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

crisa...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2021, 4:57:36 AM1/21/21
to ImageGlass Community
Also here with latest ImageGlass 8.0.12.8.

Reg ImageGlass as default image viewer in Windows settings changed my Bitwig icon in startmenu.
The problem here: Its a Java registered app and icon can't be changed via right click and properties of the shortcut. The field is greyed out (normal for a java app).

Time to fix this long standing bug or...!

crisa...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2021, 6:08:54 AM1/21/21
to ImageGlass Community

Fixed by deleting the .ico format in ImageGlass settings und switched then the default image viewer in Windows settings to other one and back to ImageGlass.
Reboot and works.

Sin Nombre

Feb 4, 2021, 8:10:00 AM2/4/21
to ImageGlass Community
Its not working for even after uninstalling ImageGlass. This is very annoying.

Every Windows icon has been changes with the Imageglass PNG logo:

Message has been deleted

J S

Apr 27, 2021, 1:05:10 PM4/27/21
to ImageGlass Community

When you said   "switched then the default image viewer in Windows settings to other one and back to ImageGlass." do you recreate an ico format in image glass after ?

Duong Dieu Phap

Apr 30, 2021, 4:21:10 AM4/30/21
to ImageGlass Community
You can click on the "Unregister extensions" button in Settings > File Type associations.
This will remove all extensions in the registry.

--
ImageGlass community
www.imageglass.org

J S

Sep 14, 2021, 4:47:17 AM9/14/21
to Indra Setiawan, ImageGlass Community
I too still have the bug, I am really annoyed Don't find any solution

Le mar. 7 sept. 2021 à 11:08, Indra Setiawan <indrase...@gmail.com> a écrit :
This didn't work for me. An error was thrown when I clicked unregister saying "no value with that name exists"
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ImageGlass Community" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/imageglass/49c64cb7-ac46-418d-9bd0-b3c1c9ae0514n%40googlegroups.com.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Álvaro Rodríguez Escandón

Sep 16, 2021, 3:11:15 PM9/16/21
to ImageGlass Community
Hi guys, I have the final workaround for this.

1. delete all file type associations from the imageglass settings; using "unregister extensions" and also deleting them manually
2. set another app as default app for pictures (e.g. Paint)
3. use CCleaner and fix Registry with a cleaning
4. reboot system
5. icons restored to normal, now if you want to keep using ImageGlass, make the file type associations manually i.e. from a .jpeg file, open with > choose another app > browser imageglass folder > select imageglass.exe, mark always use this app with this file extension
6. tell me if that works

Cheers!

Yoprix Fine

Sep 17, 2021, 12:17:21 PM9/17/21
to ImageGlass Community
hi, how do you get to see the thumbnails of the images without having to click?

Hidayet Hayri Caran

Nov 8, 2021, 1:50:57 AM11/8/21
to ImageGlass Community
Hi,
the suggestion you write doesn't work. I tried all what is written above in this conversation. Nothing works, anyone has another idea?

Hans Marius Dalen

Nov 19, 2021, 4:25:12 AM11/19/21
to ImageGlass Community
To me, this looks more like a Windows issue than a ImageGlass issue, tbh.
I've tested with several programs, and every program I've tested that registers itself as the default viewer for ICO files triggers this problem.

The solution, for me at least, was to remove the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ImageGlass.AssocFile.ICO" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.ico\PersistentHandler" registry keys.

Start cmd or powershell as administrator and run the following commands, then restart your machine:
REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ImageGlass.AssocFile.ICO /f
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.ico\PersistentHandler" /ve /f

ImageGlass will no longer be the default viewer for ICO files, and the taskbar/startmenu icons should return to normal.

This is what solved it for me, but your results may vary.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Sam Chaney

Jan 2, 2023, 7:59:52 PM1/2/23
to ImageGlass Community
I also was convinced this was an issue with ImageGlass, but after wiping my system with a fresh Windows install, I can say for certain that it is caused by Google Drive desktop application. The reason it seems like it's an ImageGlass problem is because ImageGlass registers its own custom icons for generic images, so when Google Drive breaks the link between the Windows apps and their start menu icons, you see the ImageGlass default png or jpg image instead. If you didn't have ImageGlass you'd just see the Windows default image icon instead. It's embarrassing that Google left an issue this big unresolved for so long. Sorry for the trouble this has caused to Phap and others.

Duong Dieu Phap

Jan 9, 2023, 8:31:29 AM1/9/23
to ImageGlass Community
Thanks for the details!

--
ImageGlass community
www.imageglass.org

Dragon Ouali

Jul 17, 2023, 8:06:23 PM7/17/23
to ImageGlass Community
Issue is still ongoing. Is there a proper permanent solution yet?

Jeff K.

Nov 18, 2023, 9:04:25 PM11/18/23
to ImageGlass Community
I don't have the Google Drive app installed, but the same bug occurs with the Irfanview icon, so it shouldn't be related to Google.