My HDDs gets stuck doing noise sometimes ONLY when using imageglass

evildo...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2020, 1:58:41 AM9/21/20
to ImageGlass Community
I have been having an issue that happens from time to time, across multiple versions. Occasionally when I open an image in any HDD, Imageglass will not open and my HDD will start doing a repeating loud sound, as if attempting to read something and failing. It gets stuck like that for a bit. Trying to close the program on task manager doesn't seem to help. And during a period of time where I attempted with using alternative software, that issue never happened again. I also can manage to open those images with other programs even when Imageglass causes this issue.

I really have no idea what could be the problem, this by far has become my favourite image viewer for a long list of reasons, and no alternative I could find manage to fit all of em, so I really would love to know what could be done about this to stop it from happening.

lifeatt...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2020, 9:13:35 AM9/22/20
to ImageGlass Community
>Imageglass will not open and my HDD will start doing a repeating loud sound

This really sounds like a bad sector / iffy hard drive, which happens to manifest via ImageGlass. The other programs don't do this because they are written differently and not using the same Windows / .NET / other components as IG. The symptoms sound like the IG files or components are sitting on a bad sector and Windows sometimes has trouble loading something.

I'd first do a hard drive health check, just in case. You can see if it's the IG install location having a problem by making a copy of the IG folder, and running from the copy [a) make the copy; b) rename the original; c) rename the copy to the old name]. If you used the the installer for IG, rename the installed copy folder and use the portable IG to set up a new version.

Other areas used / touched by IG would be the .NET components and the temp folder ( c:\users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\Temp ). You can do the same copy / clone for the Temp folder. For the .NET components I'd download and install the latest .NET runtime from https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48

Hoping all is OK ...