Support for Apple Silicon for the Google IMA SDK for iOS

Georgi Boyadzhiev

Jan 4, 2021, 5:54:39 AM1/4/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello,

I have several products that use the Google IMA SDK, recently I have upgraded to a M1 MacBook Pro machine and now I am experiencing issues when compiling for simulator. The problem is that the simulator now uses arm64 architecture and the IMA Pod is not adapted for this.

When will the SDK be compiled to support Apple Silicon.

Kind Regards,
G.B.

IMA SDK

Jan 4, 2021, 9:28:43 AM1/4/21
to geo...@flipps.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Georgi,

Thank you for bringing up your use case for arm 64 simulator support. I raised this request to the rest of my team. You may monitor our release notes for an update.

Regards,

Google Logo
Aryeh Baker
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2AH6Zt:ref

Georgi Boyadzhiev

Jan 4, 2021, 10:21:06 AM1/4/21
to IMA SDK, ima...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot. It will be of great help gor me and my team!
Message has been deleted

IMA SDK

Feb 18, 2021, 11:56:33 AM2/18/21
to enrique...@mirada.tv, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Enrique,

Thank you for showing interest in this feature. As I have reached out to oiur team to see what is happening. At the moment we have no new information or any updates to pass along regarding this. Or when any new updates will be passed along. Once we know we will be happy to share it with you. But in the mean time we would suggest following our Release Notes , as this is the best place to keep up to date about any changes.

Regards,
Google Logo
William Pescherine
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2AH6Zt:ref

Enrique Garcia

Feb 18, 2021, 6:06:04 PM2/18/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK

If anyone is interested, it's possible to create a XCFramework in the meantime (until officially released).

Here you can check the instructions:

https://github.com/kikeenrique/arm64-to-sim

Regards.

IMA SDK

Feb 18, 2021, 10:04:22 PM2/18/21
to kikee...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi Enrique,

Thank you for sharing this information. Let me also share this with the team for reference. In the meantime, you may keep an eye on our release notes for updates with regard to this feature.

Regards,

Google Logo
Sherwin Diesta
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2AH6Zt:ref

Aaron Bonham

May 30, 2021, 8:11:15 PM5/30/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello,

Is there any update for this? It's a production blocker for me at the moment as I can't run unit tests or compile for the simulator your new developer Mac (M1 MacBook Pro).

IMA SDK

May 30, 2021, 11:40:25 PM5/30/21
to aaron....@sbs.com.au, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for reaching out to us. However, the team is still working on this. Let me bring your message to the team and we will update you the soonest we get their feedback.

Regards,

Google Logo
Michael Angelo Legaspi
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2AH6Zt:ref

Adam Szabo

Sep 6, 2021, 7:53:27 AM9/6/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi,

It's also quite a blocker for our team as we won't be able to upgrade to M1s until this gets resolved. It's a year now that M1s are around. Is there any update on this?

Regards,
Adam

IMA SDK

Sep 6, 2021, 11:12:02 PM9/6/21
to ad...@iamszabo.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi Adam,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Our team has advised that any updates regarding this feature request will appear on our release notes. Please keep an eye on it for future updates.

Regards,

Eric Slosser

Oct 25, 2021, 10:58:51 AM10/25/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
This library's lack of M1 support is blocking various teams at my company. We're all eagerly looking forward to it.

Aaron Bonham

Oct 25, 2021, 3:12:58 PM10/25/21
to Eric Slosser, Interactive Media Ads SDK
Considering we are a year into the transition and the new MacBook Pros have been released, it’s shameful that the SDK hasn’t been updated yet

Oct 25, 2021, 3:39:03 PM10/25/21
to Aaron Bonham, Eric Slosser, Interactive Media Ads SDK
The SDK will run on M1 Macs, just not natively. I use a tool that repackages the binaries for iOS and tvOS into an XCFramework, and it’s ok on the original 13” M1 MBP.

Even if it gets M1 support, though, we can’t use the latest version anyway because of that persistent error complaining about the view hierarchy. We’re still on 3.12.1.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Interactive Media Ads SDK" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ima-sdk/SYBPR01MB40256B4C5D5B29FF9662417EB7839%40SYBPR01MB4025.ausprd01.prod.outlook.com.

Aaron Bonham

Oct 25, 2021, 3:43:41 PM10/25/21
to Jason Tibbetts, Eric Slosser, Interactive Media Ads SDK
I wrote the same kind of thing when we got our first Apple Silicon, but the point is that we shouldn’t have to. It’s really not a big ask to provide an XCFramework out of the box from an SDK that is linked to their own ad platform and directly generates them revenue. I’d hope they have enough of a budget to fix *both* issues. We suffer the same crash too.

Oct 25, 2021, 7:52:25 PM10/25/21
to IMA SDK, ima...@googlegroups.com, eric.s...@nytimes.com
Yes, I believe we are all doing some variation of this as an unpleasant hack to make things work and have been doing so for a year now, which is quite a lot longer than I’d call “temporary”

Oct 25, 2021, 10:40:04 PM10/25/21
to aaron....@sbs.com.au, ima...@googlegroups.com, eric.s...@nytimes.com

Hi Aaron,

I do understand your situation here. But, I really do see some progress in our investigation, currently there has been a blocking bug that has been fixed, and will surely help our engineers to proceed with the investigation on supporting this. However, I cannot share any further information as this is very internal procedure. You may keep an eye on our release notes for future updates.

Regards,

Google Logo
Michael Angelo Legaspi
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2AH6Zt:ref

Artem Melnyk

Dec 20, 2021, 12:00:28 PM12/20/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Any updates?

вівторок, 26 жовтня 2021 р. о 05:40:04 UTC+3 imasdk пише:

IMA SDK

Dec 20, 2021, 11:39:01 PM12/20/21
to artem...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello Artem,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I'm afraid there has no recent updates for this feature support. Let me make another follow up here. For the meantime, you can follow our blog post or release notes for future updates.

Regards,

Steve Graesser

Feb 7, 2022, 1:53:57 PM2/7/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Add my company to the list of developers who would like to see an XCFramework version of the IMA SDK for iOS. Also, Swift Package Manager support would be good too.
Message has been deleted

IMA SDK

Feb 7, 2022, 10:07:46 PM2/7/22
to st...@sirqul.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello Steve,

Thank you for showing interest in this feature.

The support for this feature is already on the works and soon will be released. You may keep an eye on our release notes or blog post for latest key updates and releases.

Regards,

Aaron Bonham

Feb 17, 2022, 8:36:22 PM2/17/22
to IMA SDK, st...@sirqul.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

If it’s being worked on, is there any chance of getting access to a beta version?

IMA SDK' via Interactive Media Ads SDK <ima...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, 8 February 2022 at 2:08 pm
To: st...@sirqul.com <st...@sirqul.com>
Cc: ima...@googlegroups.com <ima...@googlegroups.com>

Hello Steve,

IMA SDK

Feb 18, 2022, 3:09:44 AM2/18/22
to aaron....@sbs.com.au, st...@sirqul.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello Aaron,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm afraid that we do not have beta version that we can publicly share, as the development stage are accessible by our engineers only. Rest assured that once it goes live, we will notify users publicly via our blog post or release notes.

Regards,

Google Logo
Michael Angelo
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2AH6Zt:ref

Aaron Bonham

Feb 24, 2022, 5:10:20 PM2/24/22
to IMA SDK, st...@sirqul.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

I see there was a new version that was released on the 23rd of Feb, any chance that version takes care of this issue?

IMA SDK

Feb 28, 2022, 5:09:11 AM2/28/22
to aaron....@sbs.com.au, st...@sirqul.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aaron,

I'm afraid that the support for this feature is not yet included on the recently version released and The team is still currently working on this. In the meantime, you may keep an eye on our release notes or blog post for updates regarding this.

Regards,
Google Logo
Teejay Wennie
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2AH6Zt:ref

Eduardo Miranda

Apr 6, 2022, 3:42:58 AM4/6/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello,

is there an update on the XCFramework version for both iOS and tvOS sdk? I see that your colleagues at Google Cast already have it (see https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/ios_sender#manual_setup), you may want to reach out to them so you can extend it to IMA. This is getting really overdue....

Regards,

Eduardo

Enrique Garcia

Apr 6, 2022, 5:50:41 AM4/6/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello,
I did lose all hope in SDK support time ago, the best alternative is to use a tool to create the xcframework yourself using the official SDKs.

Regards

IMA SDK

Apr 7, 2022, 1:22:06 AM4/7/22
to eduardo...@deltatre.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello Eduardo and Enrique,

Thank you for coming to us.

I believe the support for this feature is already on its way to released. Our team is on evaluation phase finalizing some details and you may end up seeing this aforementioned feature request very soon. You may want to check our release notes at a later date for this update.

Regards,

Google Logo
Michael Angelo
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2AH6Zt:ref

Eduardo Miranda

May 6, 2022, 4:29:00 AM5/6/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello Michael,

May I know if xcframework support is coming to ima tvOS soon?

Regards,

Eduardo

IMA SDK

May 10, 2022, 5:01:00 AM5/10/22
to eduardo...@deltatre.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello Eduardo,

Thank you for your additional question.

With regards to TVOS, I would say that it is on the map of our internal team to add xcframework support for the said platform. However, tvOS will require more work and testing, thus we cannot give definitive time or make an assumption if tvOS support will happen in this quarter. We recommend to keep an eye in our blog post for future updates.

Regards,

ArtFeel

Nov 4, 2022, 1:22:24 PM11/4/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Come on Google, just make a XCFramework!
A lot of people have been waiting for two years, this is not a rocket science

Here is a script for you engineers:
вторник, 10 мая 2022 г. в 12:01:00 UTC+3, imasdk:

IMA SDK

Nov 6, 2022, 9:08:35 PM11/6/22
to www.a...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello ArtFeel,

Thank you for showing interest in this feature and for sharing a sample script. Allow me to raise this to the rest of our team. Rest assured that our team will be looking into it for future integration of XCFramework on tvOS. You may keep an eye on our blog post or release notes for latest updates.

Regards,

Karl Bode

Nov 10, 2022, 2:34:28 AM11/10/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi,

another push for this from my / our side. +1

Looking forward to it!

IMA SDK

Nov 10, 2022, 5:43:23 AM11/10/22
to ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

Thank you for showing interest in this feature. I have a good news to announce that the latest tvOS release (tentative 4.8.2) will include support for XCFrameworks. You may monitor our release notes and blog post for latest updates.

Regards,

Eduardo Miranda

Nov 10, 2022, 9:14:16 AM11/10/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Great news! Christmas is coming earlier this year :)

sc...@appswage.com

Dec 15, 2022, 2:50:20 PM12/15/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Over a month later and with 4.8.2 out I don't see this support listed. What is the status? Thanks.

IMA SDK

Dec 15, 2022, 10:28:14 PM12/15/22
to sc...@appswage.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi Scott,

Thank you for reaching out to the IMA SDK support team.

In the latest version of IMA tvOS V4.8.2, the XCFrameworks is already supported. However, since you mentioned that you don't see this when you tried the 4.8.2, can you provide us your sample app project? You can provide it via reply privately to author option or directly provide it to the link below.

If the file(s) you are looking to share are less than 25mb in total you can attach them to this case on your next reply. If you are having trouble attaching your file to this case or if your file(s) are larger than 25mb, you can share your files with me by performing the following steps:

1. Navigate to

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfkAiXMeYP-fw1W3Z-tT9uwmATEKO5X6S-th0gR2ezdKaaqfg/viewform?usp=pp_url&entry.400550049=IMA+SDK&entry.460850823=5004Q00002AH6ZtQAL&entry.80707362=00055507

2. Fill out all fields, and attach your file(s).

3. Please reply back on this thread when you have uploaded your file(s). Please do not share this link.

Regards,

Google Logo
Princess Pamela
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2AH6Zt:ref

IMA SDK

Jan 10, 2023, 12:25:02 AM1/10/23
to lav...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com, sc...@appswage.com

Hi Jake,

Thank you for your response.

Can you confirm if you've tried our sample app for tvOS? Since it was updated to the latest version 4.8.2 that was suppose to be supported the arm64. You may check it as reference in your implementation.