Managing VPMUTE Status for VMAP Instream Video Ad

Gary Tay

Feb 19, 2024, 11:18:06 PMFeb 19
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi Team,I did some email conversation with Google Support previously, however i am getting different version of "truth" in the email conversation, hence I am thinking to make use of this IMA SDK group to align with a more professional team. I have summarised what I have understand on vpmute status, please review and do correct me if my understanding is wrong.

I appreciate your checking on GAM / IAMSDK features and allow us to get the latest update in order to work with GAM more seamlessly.
  1. setAdWillPlayMuted inform ad server the mute status, however it doesn't append the vpmute parameter in ad request automatically. It means even if we are using setAdWillPlayMuted , we are still not align with the latest GAM policy requirement since vpmute params is the required item.
  2. We are an OTT Provider and all of our VAST ad will be instream video ad. In this case, ad_type params might not be compulsory to us as according to Google document. Hence, we will not having the use case of ad_type=audio or ad_type=audio_video .
  3.  The muted video parameter accepts a constant value which indicates whether the ad playback starts while the video player is muted, and currently it is compulsory for us to implement the vpmute since your policy requirement said it will impact our programmatic monetization.
Q1. When we are implementing VMAP for instream video ad, how should we control the vpmute status for each VAST URI call ? If we are implementing vpmute=0/=1 on the VMAP tag, all the VAST URI inside will be inheriting the same value as what has been appended in VMAP tag. It doesn't help us to send the correct vpmute value since users might change their mute status in between midrolls. Please share with us your best practice in how should we control the vpmute status for each VAST URI call when managing this situation .
Q2. We have thought and tried to implement a placeholder inside the VMAP Tag. Ex. vpmute=[vpmute_value_placeholder], and we thought we can replace the placeholder with correct 0/1 status for each VAST URI inside VMAP. However, we found out that the whole vpmute params will be removed in the VAST URI. We suspect it could be due to vpmute is only accepting constant value, so that any non expected value will be cleaned by system automatically. Does the placeholder method sounds logical to you ? IF it is a method, how will you suggest us to make use of your technology to having a placeholder and replace the value after we detect the user's mute status.Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 11.51.16.pngLooking for your help.

Gary

Confidentiality And Disclaimer Notice

This communication is intended only for use by the addressee. It may contain legally confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please contact us immediately and then delete this message from your system. You should not copy or use it to disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you.

IMA SDK

Feb 20, 2024, 12:02:37 AMFeb 20
to ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Thank you for contacting the IMA SDK support team.

I see that you have already raised this concern on another thread with the subject “VMAP VPMUTE Parameter” and we have already responded there for this issue. To avoid multiple threads on the same issue, please take a look at that thread and continue the discussion on the same for further updates on the issue.

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02rzFrU:ref"

Thanks,

Google Logo IMA SDK Team

Miftah Fathudin

Jul 9, 2024, 2:11:33 AM (7 days ago) Jul 9
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi IMA SDK,

Could you please give me the link to the mentioned thread above? Because i could not find it myself, thank you!.

Regards,
Miftah

Miftah Fathudin

Jul 9, 2024, 2:11:38 AM (7 days ago) Jul 9
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi IMA SDK Team,

Could you please provide the link to the mentioned thread above? Thank you!

Regards,
Miftah

IMA SDK

Jul 9, 2024, 6:23:53 AM (7 days ago) Jul 9
to miftah....@vidio.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

It was in support thread with Gary which's link can not be generated to share in the forum. If you have any concerns related to IMA SDK, then share the issue details.

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02rzFrU:ref" (ADR-00223981)

Thanks,

Google Logo IMA SDK Team