IMA SDK crashes Web Receiver on some devices

Joseph Gomez

Jul 31, 2024, 9:40:25 PMJul 31
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
On some devices, like Google Nest, instantiating AdDisplayContainer seems to cause an infinite loop in the IMA SDK after ~2 seconds. The app freezes up and disconnects shortly after. Calling `destroy()` before that 2-second threshold mitigates the crash, but then we can't request an ad via IMA.

IMA SDK

Aug 1, 2024, 5:38:26 AMAug 1
to jgo...@tunein.com

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

We've identified this issue in our SDK. I raised this issue to the wider team and notified them. One of my team members will contact you once we have an update. Meanwhile, your patience is highly appreciated.

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02vEO6k:ref" (ADR-00260414)

Thanks,

Google Logo IMA SDK Team

IMA SDK

Aug 1, 2024, 12:55:26 PMAug 1
to ima...@googlegroups.com, jgo...@tunein.com
Hi Joseph,

The issue you reported has been identified. We've rolled back to v3.653.0. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further concerns.

Thanks

IMA SDK

Aug 1, 2024, 4:17:11 PMAug 1
to ima...@googlegroups.com, jgo...@tunein.com
Hi Joseph,

This is Jackson from the IMA SDK team to help with your issue. I saw from another thread that you had been experiencing this issue prior to IMA v3.655.0, so the recent roll back did not solve your issue.

I was able to get some more details from that thread, and will continue to look into the issue with the IMA team.

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02vEO6k:ref" (ADR-00260414)

Thanks,

Google Logo
Jackson Sui
IMA SDK Team

Joseph Gomez

Aug 1, 2024, 6:36:57 PMAug 1
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
As a side note, would you be able to share what the typical fleet update velocity is for IMA SDK releases? Our data shows a slow drip of impact over many weeks. This might be useful information for future reference if we suspect any potential issues stemming from the IMA SDK. Thank you!

Joseph Gomez

Aug 1, 2024, 6:37:01 PMAug 1
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Would it be possible to rollback to the release prior to the one from 06/20? Or would it be possible to deploy that prior release to a URL that we can use temporarily while the issue is being investigated?

Joseph Gomez

Aug 1, 2024, 6:37:04 PMAug 1
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
We just spotted a seemingly related note in the release notes for version 3.647.0 on 2024-06-20:
> Fixes a bug which causes an infinite loop of errors in connected TV environments for skippable ads.

Thank you!
Joseph

Joseph Gomez

Aug 1, 2024, 6:37:08 PMAug 1
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Thanks all! If it helps, we're estimating that impact began on or around 7/8 or 7/11-7/12.

IMA SDK

Aug 2, 2024, 10:41:57 AMAug 2
to ima...@googlegroups.com
Hello Joseph,

Thank you for the replies.

I would recommend looking to the IMA HTML5 release notes for information about previous IMA releases. Additionally, you can subscribe to this IMA forum thread to be notified for every new IMA HTML5 release.

Unfortunately, only the latest version of the HTML5 SDK is available using this URL ("//imasdk.googleapis.com/js/sdkloader/ima3.js"). Additionally, we are not able to role back multiple versions of the SDK (v3.647.0 is 5 releases old at this point).

You point out that the impact began around 7/8-7/11. The IMA HTML5 SDK did not have a release during this time. Is it possible there were changes to your app or Ad Manager settings that could have caused the issue.

To continue investigating the issue on my end, would you be able to share steps to reproduce the issue? Please include any sample code, VAST tags, or configuration info that is needed. Also, the IMA team does not have a Nest device, so if possible, please provide steps to emulate or imitate the environment needed to reproduce the issue.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.