Reapplying banner ads after player resize

Pieter Vanhoof

Apr 1, 2024, 2:03:23 AMApr 1
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi,

We are currently looking for a way to reapply a banner ad after it has been removed due to resizing.
E.G.:
-You have a banner ad on your content, you then resize the player in any way. For example by using PiP.
-This removes the banner as it cannot fit inside the PiP window.
-Then you resize the player again (E.G. exiting PiP.)
-We would like the banner ad to show again after the player size is big enough to present it.
Is there any way to achieve this? As I noticed the ad gets removed in this use case.

You can reproduce this in: https://googleads.github.io/googleads-ima-html5/vsi/
Using the sample tag: https://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/ads?iu=/21775744923/external/nonlinear_ad_samples&sz=480x70&cust_params=sample_ct%3Dnonlinear&ciu_szs=300x250%2C728x90&gdfp_req=1&output=vast&unviewed_position_start=1&env=vp&impl=s&correlator=

Thanks in advance!

Legal Notice
You can find the latest terms and policies of THEO Technologies under www.theoplayer.com/terms including our "GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS". In the absence of a signed agreement between you and THEO Technologies, by replying to this email these terms apply to the relevant transaction between us.
The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and contain CONFIDENTIAL and/or privileged information and are legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message including any attachments and you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.
Full security of emails over the internet cannot be ensured. Despite our efforts it is your responsibility to provide for your protection.
Global HQ: THEO Technologies NV, Philipssite 5 bus 1, 3001 Heverlee, Belgium - BE 0847.829.290 - CEO: Steven Tielemans

IMA SDK

Apr 1, 2024, 6:36:37 PMApr 1
to pieter....@theoplayer.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

Thank you for contacting IMA SDK support team.

I have endeavored to recreate the issue you have reported in the Google Sample Project by activating Picture-in-Picture (PIP) mode and employing a non-linear shared VAST detail.

During the course of my investigation, I discovered that there is no discernible issue with PIP, it functions precisely as intended. When transitioning to PIP mode, the non-linear ad views remain unchanged, only the video player tag is resized, which has no effect on the ad container div. It is important to note that Picture-in-Picture mode only resizes the player div, not the ad div.
In sample when I enter PIP ads is showing in block div, when exits it again attach to video player. It is not disappearing while doing this  enter exit within 45 seconds.

I believe that you are likely encountering a separate issue related to the automatic disappearance of the non-linear ad strip after 45 seconds. This behavior is an inherent characteristic of non-linear ads.

Non-linear ads are designed to vanish after 45 seconds because they serve short time purpose. Since they are displayed prominently on the screen, it is not intended for them to remain visible indefinitely.

If you face any other issue related to IMA SDK, kindly do reach out to us.

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02s0N64:ref" (ADR-00229399)

Thanks,

Google Logo IMA SDK Team

Pieter Vanhoof

Apr 2, 2024, 8:39:27 PMApr 2
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi,

Thank you for your reply!
As I am not exactly sure on how to call PiP on the above mentioned test page. If you just resize the video element I could reproduce the same:
*Screenshot*
So steps are:
-start this banner ad: https://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/ads?iu=/21775744923/external/nonlinear_ad_samples&sz=480x70&cust_params=sample_ct%3Dnonlinear&ciu_szs=300x250%2C728x90&gdfp_req=1&output=vast&unviewed_position_start=1&env=vp&impl=s&correlator=
-Open dev tools and resize it until the non linear can no longer fit.
-Make it big enough again and the ad wont reappear.

Can you let me know how I can check this with actual PiP on this page? When you try this with PiP does the non linear ad stay visible in the PiP window? (As it doesn't resize like you mentioned)
It also throws this error in the console:
[124.680s] [UrlReporter] Reporting urls for event : error
And if you make it big enough again it wont reappear even within the 45 second time.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 16.08.37.png

IMA SDK

Apr 2, 2024, 8:55:11 PMApr 2
to pieter....@theoplayer.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

I've checked and able to get see AdError 501: The overlay ad content could not be displayed since creative dimensions do not align with display area
When trying to resizing manually as mentioned in your last response.

After getting resize mismatch issue, IMA SDK won't request automatically again to align it as before.

It appears that the observed behavior is anticipated due to the presence of the attributes scalable="true" and maintainAspectRatio="true" in the VAST response.

Beyond this point, the process will encounter a failure and will not subsequently be repeated.

The IMA SDK is not designed to calculate its parent view dimensions or to automatically invoke a failover or a return to the original size.

The player view minimum and maximum dimension limits should manage this situation. For instance, if the non-linear dimension is 200x200, the player should not go below 200x200. This calculation can be implemented at the css code level to prevent the issue of the non-linear element disappearing.