[iOS] IMA DAI - Seeking over a mid-roll and seeking back to the start of that mid-roll, events are not triggered.

Nilit Danan

Dec 9, 2020, 9:37:15 AM12/9/20
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi,

In IMA DAI, if you seek forward we perform previousCuepoint:forStreamTime: and get the IMACuepoint we seeked over. Using the startTime of that cuepoint we seek back to that time, before seeking to the ad we save the desired seek position that was performed in order to return to that point after the ad is completed (snapback).

The issue that is observed is that when seeking to the startTime of that ad no events are being triggered. Therefore the snapback logic isn't being performed and the media continues from that point.
With GoogleAds-IMA-iOS-SDK version 3.11.3 it was working fine.
The issue is observed in GoogleAds-IMA-iOS-SDK version 3.13.0.
Haven't checked the versions in between.

If I play with the startTime and seek back ~170 milliseconds before that time, the events are triggered as expected, as if the startTime that is given isn't noticed as an ad time for the events to be triggered, my assumption.

Thanks,
Nilit Danan

IMA SDK

Dec 9, 2020, 2:45:03 PM12/9/20
to rokah...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nilit,

Could you replicate this issue in our Sample apps? If so, could you send it to us?

Regards,

Google Logo
Aryeh Baker
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q28obw9:ref

Nilit Danan

Dec 10, 2020, 9:23:39 AM12/10/20
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi Aryeh,

Yes it does.
In the Advanced sample, after updating the pods to the latest and updated the code accordingly to the changes done to the SDK's.
I set the "tears-of-steel" video to the following contentSourceId: 2528370.

In addition in your sample you seek forward a second and have the following comment in the code:
// Add 1 to the seek time to get the keyframe at the start of the ad to be our landing place.

We don't add the second to the startTime, we don't change it at all.
Just a reminder, with GoogleAds-IMA-iOS-SDK version 3.11.3 it was working fine, but in GoogleAds-IMA-iOS-SDK version 3.13.0 the issue occurs.

Attached the updated Advanced sample.
As well it can be observed in our repo samples kaltura-player-ios-samples branch FEC-10431.

Thanks,
Nilit Danan
googleads_ima_ios_dai_objc_advanced_example.zip

IMA SDK

Dec 10, 2020, 12:25:58 PM12/10/20
to rokah...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nilit,

I ran your updated sample app from Xcode 12.2 in my iPhone 8 plus iOS 14.2 device Sample app and snapback worked. Please note that according to our release notes in the HTML SDK a rollback occurred that may affect the iOS native DAI SDK and I was testing right now. If you still see the issue, are there any specific steps I would need to take to see the issue in the Sample app? A video may help.

Nilit Danan

Dec 13, 2020, 9:22:55 AM12/13/20
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi Aryeh,

I see now that it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't in the Advanced sample.
I am not doing anything special.
Here you can find a screen recording that it happens and sometimes doesn't.
As you can see in the video, this happens when the events are not triggered, therefor the snapback logic isn't performed.

Thanks,
Nilit Danan

IMA SDK

Dec 14, 2020, 2:38:15 AM12/14/20
to rokah...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nilit,

Thank you for sharing this information. Upon testing our sample application (advanced) via Iphone 8/iOS 14.3 with SDK version 3.13.0, I do encounter the no ad event issue. But I also encountered a different issue where there’s only black screen during the ad playback.

Let me share this information to my teammates, together with the issue that you are encountering to test further. We will give you an update as soon as possible.

Regards,

Google Logo
Sherwin Diesta
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q28obw9:ref

Nilit Danan

Dec 14, 2020, 6:30:06 AM12/14/20
to IMA SDK, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sherwin,

Thank you for your reply.
Waiting for an update.

Thanks,
Nilit Danan

IMA SDK

Oct 6, 2021, 12:51:55 PM10/6/21
to rokah...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nilit,

It was reported by our team that issue is no longer reproducible on version 3.14.4 of the SDK. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Thank you,
Jackson