Custom remote control's events handler

Roman Podymov

Jul 6, 2021, 7:32:12 AM7/6/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello.
As I understand IMA SDK for tvOS v.4.4.2 has some default remote control's events handlers (for the pause/resume and the tap area buttons). However these handlers don't work correctly when the ads container does not fill the whole screen. For example, on the pause/resume button's tap the ads are paused but then I cannot resume the ads and I do it in code. Can you please add custom remote control's events handlers as a new feature? Or how can I disable the handlers that you already have?
Best regards,
Roman.

IMA SDK

Jul 6, 2021, 3:08:22 PM7/6/21
to roman....@deltatre.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roman,

Thank you for reaching out to us. In looking over this. I see that Apple offers most of the controls that would be needed for the remote. As shown here , you will see how they talk about the pause functionality and being able to use it. Also in looking over this, most of he controls for this appear to be tied into the Apple OS for the TV itself. As for custom feature? What in particular would you be looking to add? Is there a specific case that you are unable to do which you would like to be able to?

Regards,
Google Logo
William Pescherine
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2JYuOU:ref

Roman Podymov

Aug 5, 2021, 9:04:47 AM8/5/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello William.
Please check this example https://github.com/RomanPodymov/googleads-ima-tvos-client-side/tree/issue/focus. Once I switch focus from adContainer to btn1 or btn2 I cannot return to adContainer. That's why I need to handle remote control's buttons manually in such case. Or can you explain me please how can I make adContainer focusable again if it does not fill the whole screen.
Best regards,
Roman.

IMA SDK

Aug 6, 2021, 2:56:13 AM8/6/21
to roman....@deltatre.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roman,

I work along with William. I have shared with the rest of the team all the information and discussion here thus far for further investigation. Once our team have read through this, you will receive a response from them in no time.

Regards,
Google Logo
Michael Angelo Legaspi
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2JYuOU:ref

Roman Podymov

Aug 23, 2021, 10:22:49 AM8/23/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello Michael.
Any updates regarding this topic? We still have a non-fullscreen ad view in the app and we need to switch focus from/to this view.
Best regards,
Roman.

IMA SDK

Sep 9, 2021, 5:34:37 PM9/9/21
to roman....@deltatre.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi Roman,

The IMA SDK for tvOS version 4.4.2 uses the UI Focus Environment protocol to manage when the ad overlay requires focus. You can see a simple implementation on lines 106-115 of our latest swift sample. When Ads are being played, the focus needs to be set on the Ad display container's focus environment, as seen in that sample. However, when ads are not being played, the focus can be put on any view controller, as dictated by your implementation.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Greg Schoppe