custom clickthrough element for all devices on HTML5 SDK

Damiano Rühl

Aug 9, 2023, 4:56:07 AM8/9/23
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello,

Is there any way to manually trigger a click through or to pass a custom html element which will also be used as a click through element?

Busines usecase:
A client asked if we can show a custom CTA button below the video player while the ad is playing. Clicking on that button should trigger a clickthrough, same way as when clicked on the video ad.
If the button is clicked, the clickthrough url should be opened and all clicktracker should be requested.

For this feature I either would need a function which I can call when the user clicks on my button, or I need to be able to pass the button dom element to imasdk so that it adds the click event handler to it.

Regards
Damiano

IMA SDK

Aug 9, 2023, 9:38:29 AM8/9/23
to ima...@googlegroups.com
Hello Damiano,

Welcome to IMA SDK Support team. Thank you for reaching out to us.

Currently, the IMA SDKs do not support changing the layout, size, functionality or content of UI elements. However, we do have adsRenderingSettings.uiElements (https://developers.google.com/interactive-media-ads/docs/sdks/html5/client-side/reference/js/google.ima.AdsRenderingSettings#uiElements) which specifies whether the UI elements that should be displayed.

On the other hand, for your use case, we do have tracking of mouse clicks (https://developers.google.com/interactive-media-ads/docs/sdks/html5/client-side/tracking_clicks) which will guide you on how to listen to click events.

Let us know if the above would fit to your use case or if you have further questions.

This message is in relation to case "ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2nq7FF:ref"

Thanks,

Google Logo IMA SDK Team

Damiano Rühl

Aug 9, 2023, 9:53:21 AM8/9/23
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello,
Thank you for the fast response.

The 2 features you are mentioning are unfortunately not solving my problem.
I need a cta button outside of the video player.
If the user clicks on that button, a ClickThrough should be triggered (the ClickThrough url should be opened and all ClickTracking trackers should be called) - the same way as when the user clicks on the ad directly.

adsRenderingSettings.uiElements just shows an adAttribution and a countdown
tracking of mouse clicks is not my problem. I am aware of how to add a handler to the users mouse click, it is just not possible for me to trigger a clickThrough after that mouse click

Regards
Damiano

IMA SDK

Aug 9, 2023, 12:40:27 PM8/9/23
to ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Damiano,

Thank you for responding back. Unfortunately, IMA SDK does not have the capability to create a CTA button outside of the video player. I could submit this as a feature request. In order for us to proceed, could you kindly share to us your business use case (or benefit) to the said feature/functionality that you were looking for?

Damiano Rühl

Aug 10, 2023, 4:00:51 AM8/10/23
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
We want to run some interactive ads with some clickable interactive elements placed around the video player that serves as part of the branding for our customers.
The benefit is to offer to our customer improved branding experience, without covering the video with interactive elements.

IMA SDK

Aug 10, 2023, 6:30:40 AM8/10/23
to ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi Damiano,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

Please allow me to share this information with the rest of our team to request this feature for your use case. I would recommend keeping an eye on our blog posts and release notes for future updates.

Reference links:

IMA SDK

Apr 15, 2024, 10:43:01 AMApr 15
to ima...@googlegroups.com
Hello Damiano,

This is Jackson from the IMA SDK team. Sorry for the delay in replying to this feature request.

Would you be able to clarify some information related to your request?
  • On which platforms are you looking for support - web/H5 only? Is this request for IMA client-side only, or IMA DAI as well?
  • What is the timeline you are looking to integrate with a more customizable UI?
  • Would you be able to provide any mockup examples of the UI you are looking to achieve?
  • Would the advertiser also be involved with creating the additional ad UI, or any other parties involved other than your team?
I will relay your replies to the team, but feel free to add any additional information or questions you have.

Thank you,
Jackson
IMA SDK team

ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02nq7FF:ref