iOS IMA SDK 3.13 Audio Silent switch and background/foreground

Ed Trujillo

Jul 30, 2021, 1:37:25 PM7/30/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
I have a native iOS app that is playing an audio preroll in the foreground and have setup the AVSession category to .playback, also I have set the enableBackgroundPlayback property to TRUE on the IMASettings.  While the app is in the foreground and the audio is playing a preroll ad, I can switch the hardware mute button to OFF and ON and the audio will continue to play as expected.

If I put the app into the background while the ad is playing a preroll ad, then toggle the hardware mute button while I hear the audio (app is still in the background) and then bring the app back to the foreground, the volume of the audio will appear to be set to 0 or it's muted ... at least that's what appears to be happening.  I was expecting that the audio ad would continue to play unmuted once the app has been put into the foreground.

Any solutions?

I noticed that in the following link for Beta v13 it says the following but does not indicate any more explicit instructions:
  • Ads are now silenced when the device is silenced by default. The publisher can change this by setting the AVAudioSession category.

IMA SDK

Jul 30, 2021, 3:45:20 PM7/30/21
to ed.tr...@mlb.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ed,

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. From what I could tell, it sounds like you are trying to have the ad go from mute to unmute while it is being backgrounded. And then when you come back to foreground it will be playing unmuted. Can you share with us via the "Reply to author" button with a simple sample app that shows this exact behavior? At the same time, we will assume to follow the same steps as you have already mentioned? Along with if you have seen, does the choice of device have any effect on it?

Regards,
Google Logo
William Pescherine
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2JFQgb:ref

Ed Trujillo

Aug 3, 2021, 10:38:09 AM8/3/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello William,

Upon further investigation, it doesn't appear to be a problem with the IMA SDK at all.  You can disregard my original message.

Thanks,

Ed