Google IMA can clash with GPT Passback tags

Dejan Grbavcic

Sep 28, 2021, 4:06:33 AM9/28/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello,

Seems like you recently made some changes that can cause error with GPT tags.

IMA is now setting window.googletag object to: {encryptedSignalProviders: nz}

GPT will crash if called after.

Here's an example of GPT tag:

window.googletag = window.googletag || {cmd: []};
googletag.cmd.push(function() {
googletag.defineSlot('....', [300, 250], 'gpt-passback').addService(googletag.pubads());
googletag.enableServices();
googletag.display('gpt-passback');
});
</script></div>

gpt.js is set to load async, so googletag.cmd.push is called immediately -- it will break because googletag.cmd is undefined at that point.

IMA SDK

Sep 28, 2021, 6:08:21 AM9/28/21
to gra...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dejan,

Thank you for reporting this to us.

Have you replicated this behavior on one of our sample apps? Could you please state what is the exact sample app and the SDK version you used? If not, kindly share with us your own implementation sample project that replicates the issue.

You may send the information privately using the "reply to author" button or sending it directly to our testing alias imate...@gmail.com. Please let us know here once you have shared the requested information.

Regards,

Google Logo
Michael Angelo Legaspi
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2OUiOV:ref

Dejan Grbavcic

Sep 28, 2021, 1:32:01 PM9/28/21
to IMA SDK, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

Here I created a page with a sample IMA implementation (taken from your site) and one GPT banner. You'll see the error if you open the console.

This started happening today, I'm seeing v3.482.0 is loading.

Thanks,
Dejan

IMA SDK

Sep 28, 2021, 11:57:18 PM9/28/21
to gra...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dejan,

Thank you for providing additional information.

However, I do not see any error on the console as to what you have mentioned. I also can see the same banner after you click the play button on the sample test page, the pre-roll also did play and then continued to video content. Everything seems to be working as intended. Is there anything I am missing here? Could you please elaborate the issue and/or share with us the steps to reproduce the behavior? It would be best if you can give to us the screen recording of the behavior, it will greatly help on our investigation.

Regards,

Igor Damic

Sep 29, 2021, 2:08:45 AM9/29/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK

I'm getting the same error on my end as well on this page that Dejan sent - https://share.damic.net/image/KDh3
The banner never gets displayed on my end. This is on Windows 10, latest Chrome version.

Dejan Grbavcic

Sep 29, 2021, 2:40:52 AM9/29/21
to IMA SDK, ima...@googlegroups.com
Here's the recording of the issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3l686g6dibuy7b/screen_recording.mov?dl=0

Maybe you couldn't see it because it won't always show depending how fast GPT is loaded and IMA is initialized. Here I tried to create an example page that will simulate banner load with a delay:

https://dejan.brid.tv/ima_googletag/index2.html

Please take a look at my first email to see a more detailed explanation of why this is happening.

Thanks,
Dejan

IMA SDK

Sep 29, 2021, 6:25:12 AM9/29/21
to gra...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dejan and Igor,

Thank you for providing additional information. I have raised this now to the rest of the team to further investigate. We will provide more information once we have the result of the investigation.

Regards,

IMA SDK

Sep 30, 2021, 6:11:50 AM9/30/21
to gra...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dejan and Igor,

Our team circled back with us and confirmed that there was a recent change to GPT working with IMA to resolve an outage. It is recommended to match your implementation base on this document guide to try to resolve the issue:

If in any case you would still encounter the same error when following the shared guide, we would require a sample implementation project that can reproduce the issue. You may send it to us privately via "reply to author" button or send it directly to our testing alias imate...@gmail.com.

Regards,