Feature request: possibility for logging javascript console messages

Theo Weber

Nov 29, 2022, 9:36:02 AM11/29/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello,

I am trying to run a video ad with SIMID interactive elements. I was looking for a possibility to access the javascript console messages produced by the video ad player. But I cannot find any means. How can I have access to the webview of the Android IMA SDK which is rendering the SIMID HTML/Javascript content?

Best,

Theo

IMA SDK

Nov 29, 2022, 2:28:30 PM11/29/22
to theo....@smartstream.tv, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Theo,

Could you please elaborate your use case more, so I could have a better understanding in it? Also, could you please share the benefit of the said functionality/feature on your end?

Regards,
Google Logo
Teejay Wennie
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2ggUZO:ref

Theo Weber

Nov 30, 2022, 4:46:31 AM11/30/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK

Hi Teejay,

Thanks for your answer. I want to test our SIMID extended video ads in the Android IMA SDK. As you know, with SIMID you can load an HTML page with an Javascript extension that is able to communicate with the video ad player and that is displayed while the video ad is running as an overlayed iframe over the video. My use case was the following:

As the loading of HTML and Javascript behaves in Android slightly different than in a purely Browser environment, the message processing was used too early in our ad on Android. I had lots of troubles to find out why our ad was not working. If I had been able to print out the webview/browser console messages in Android, this would have saved a lot of time in this case.

General Benefit: If one was able to print out the webview/browser console messages,  this would be generally very useful for detecting problems in ad’s Javascript.

Best,

Theo

IMA SDK

Dec 1, 2022, 10:34:25 AM12/1/22
to theo....@smartstream.tv, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Theo,

Thank you for getting back to us. Allow me to submit your response as a feature request to the team. However, please do note that not all request is guaranteed. You may follow our blog for any updates or announcements regarding this.

Theo Weber

Dec 2, 2022, 8:47:37 AM12/2/22
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Ok, thank you for your answer!

IMA SDK

Jan 9, 2023, 2:31:35 PM1/9/23
to theo....@smartstream.tv, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Theo,

I hope you're safe and doing fine.

The team provided their feedback on this feature request and asking if its possible for you to share an example SIMID tag that has webview/browser messages? Also, can you share the specific SIMID standard for messaging?

Theo Weber

Jan 10, 2023, 3:37:12 AM1/10/23
to Interactive Media Ads SDK

Hi Teejay,

 I’m not sure if this is a misunderstanding. We’re using SIMID 1.0, but this should not be so important.

 What I mean with “browser messages”, is the possibility to debug Javascript issues with `console.log(…)` in the Android in-app environment.

 As there can be differences concerning the behaviour of a SIMID-ad in browser (where I can easily debug the console.log(…)-messages) and in-app environment, it would be nice if there were a possibility to see the `console.log(…)` outputs in the Android in-app environment, too.

 That’s all.

 Best,

 Theo

IMA SDK

Jan 10, 2023, 12:52:23 PM1/10/23
to theo....@smartstream.tv, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Theo,

Thank you for responding back. I'll circle this back to the team. In the meantime, you may keep an eye on our developer blog for updates on the said feature/functionality. We will reach out to you on this thread if we need further information regarding this.