[iOS] SDK full audio-only, is possible?

N. Gomez

Dec 18, 2020, 7:37:20 AM12/18/20
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi all!

Is possible to implement in an audio-only app? I see that is required to have a view attached to IMA SDK where rendering ads, but if the app is audio (like a podcast app), the "player view" could no exists (maybe you're showing a miniplayer view, but not full player). In this case (tested in my app), all request return an error due to not exists a view attached.

Any way to implement this behaviour?

Same thing seems to happens when app is in background, AdsLoader stuck requesting ads. I understand that is focused in use with video player, that must be always in foreground.

Thanks in advance!

IMA SDK

Dec 18, 2020, 9:22:27 AM12/18/20
to naza...@digio.es, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

In iOS  and Android client side we have a beta background audio ads capability you may want to try out.

Regards,

Google Logo
Aryeh Baker
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q29T57U:ref

N. Gomez

Dec 18, 2020, 9:27:58 AM12/18/20
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Thanks for your answer.

I see the "Important" note about background audio ads.

I can't find anything related with play ad without a view attached. Is possible?

Thanks in advance

IMA SDK

Dec 18, 2020, 1:30:05 PM12/18/20
to naza...@digio.es, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi N.Gomez,

Thank you for responding back. I work along with Aryeh and will be helping you today with this issue. I have tested out our sample app from GitHub . I was able to get it to work as I believe you would be expecting. I was able to get ads to play in the background while the front UI did not change. I was able to get an ad to appear for sound.

I know that you are asking about the AdView and when looking over the sample app, as well as documents . It would appear that the  that no AdView is needed. But looking at the code indiciates that a AdView is indeed needed and created in the
initializeAds()

With the following code snippet

AdDisplayContainer container =
    ImaSdkFactory.createAudioAdDisplayContainer(context, imaService.imaVideoAdPlayer);
CompanionAdSlot companionAdSlot = sdkFactory.createCompanionAdSlot();

When this line is commented out you will see that ads are no longer able to be served. Which would indicate to me that this is where the AdView is being created and programmatically placed into the app.

If this is for iOS this seems to be a bit more problematic. If you can let us know what platform you are using so we can delve deeper into it for you.

Regards,

Google Logo
William Pescherine
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q29T57U:ref

N. Gomez

Dec 19, 2020, 10:05:57 AM12/19/20
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi William,

I'm using iOS platform. I think that should be a way to load ads without an AdView, mainly if it supports audio-only ads shouldn't be a requisite create it. If there any way to do it, i'll be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!

IMA SDK

Dec 21, 2020, 1:49:56 AM12/21/20
to naza...@digio.es, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi there,

Thank you for your message. Could you please elaborate further on this?  “...should be a way to load ads without an AdView”. Also, were you able to use our document pertaining to the use case you’re achieving? If yes, could you please share with us any issues you have encountered so we can check?

Regards,

Google Logo
Sherwin Diesta
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q29T57U:ref

N. Gomez

Dec 29, 2020, 3:25:30 AM12/29/20
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi,

What I'm saying is that if audio ads are allowed, no video related (and companion as optional), should be possible play ads without need to exists an "
      IMAAdDisplayContainer" attached to SDK. Is that possible?

Also, I see in your document this, but not always is possible to know if exists a "next" track to perform request before current track finish. Why is not possible to make a request in background?

Thanks in advance.

IMA SDK

Dec 29, 2020, 4:47:31 AM12/29/20
to naza...@digio.es, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hi there,

Thanks for your response and clarification. Please note that IMAAdDisplayContainer is one of the parameters being used for IMAAdsRequest. That means, when this parameter is removed or not included, you might get an issue during the ad request.

Given the documentation you provided, could you kindly confirm that your content is playing before calling requestAds? That way, you can make a request in the background. Also, I’m wondering if you can replicate this issue with one of our sample apps. If you can, then could you please share with us the following information so that we can investigate the issue as well?

  • VAST ad tag for audio ads you are using
  • Steps on how to reproduce the issue

N. Gomez

Dec 29, 2020, 7:48:45 AM12/29/20
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi!

I sent a email with an example of what I mean, reproduced with sample app. In the example, SDK has a valid IMAAdDisplayContainer, and exists, due to videoController is not deallocated. Is possible this behavior? Should be always a visible view?

Thanks in advance.

IMA SDK

Dec 29, 2020, 9:32:40 AM12/29/20
to naza...@digio.es, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for the response back. I have looked more into this and looked to see what we can offer that might be close to what you are asking for. From what I have been able to see, the iOS example in this document is the closest that we have for allowing IMA to do as I believe that you are looking for.

From what I have gathered about what you are looking for. Is basically an audio file only being sent to you app thus allowing you to be able to play your app with ads as "background sound" only. With no containers for display ads. As the IMA SDK is setup presently there is no way to do that. It is required to have the display and ad display container showing a visual ad. There are as we have shown previously some ways to play around with that. But no matter what you will always need the adView container and the adLoader.

Regards,
Google Logo
William Pescherine
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q29T57U:ref

N. Gomez

Jan 14, 2021, 5:26:58 AM1/14/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi again!

I've tested this case in Android and it's works. I see (in ImaAdsLoader, implementation by ExoPlayer) that ImaFactory offers a way to create an AdDisplayContainer for Audio (createAudioAdDisplayContainer method), but iOS SDK doesn't offers it.

Will this be included in iOS SDK soon? or at least is in roadmap?

Thanks in advance!

IMA SDK

Jan 14, 2021, 10:40:44 AM1/14/21
to naza...@digio.es, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi N.Gomez,

Thank you for the response back. Yes , agree that android has the ability to use it. From what I have also seen there are ways to do this in HTML also. But for some reason iOS does not seem to have this ability as readily available. We also are not aware of it being handled at this moment. But do know there are things going on that could affect that and which might include that.

Regards,
Google Logo
William Peswcherine
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q29T57U:ref

N. Gomez

Apr 20, 2023, 10:34:23 AM4/20/23
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi!

Any news about this? Is possible use the SDK without a "adContainerViewController"?

For podcast app, only audio, allowing dismissing player controller and playing audio (and ads) in background.

Thanks!

IMA SDK

Apr 20, 2023, 5:15:23 PM4/20/23
to naza...@digio.es, ima...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to us.

It appears that you have replied to an old thread. With regards to your concern, could you confirm if the documentation for Background audio ad playback fits your current use case for requesting ads in the background? This documentation guide is intended for iOS publishers interested in adding background audio ad playback to their IMA SDK implementation. This allows the app to request ads in the background. It also allows the app to enter the background and continue to play an ad to completion.

If this is not what you are looking for, could you elaborate the feature you like to achieve so we could provide appropriate guidance according to the latest iOS versions? Asking this since this is an old thread and so our team could also further check what's available in our latest implementations.

Looking forward to your response.

Reference Link:

Regards,

Google Logo IMA SDK Team