Skipping in VAST 3 Wrapper -> VAST 2 Linear scenario

Ralf

Feb 19, 2015, 3:50:30 AM2/19/15
to ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

we have a setup with a couple of ad networks that do not support VAST 3 yet but agreed on skippable ads (skipoffset=15 secs). We have a DFP Premium account with Advanced Video. Is there a way to kinda force a skipoffset for VAST 2? We use the IMA SDK for HTML5, Flash, Android and iOS. iOS is the most pressing one right now. Something like an inheritance of the skipoffset setting from a VAST 3 Wrapper to a VAST 2 Linear would be awesome. Pretty similar to the behaviour of tracking events. If there's a VAST Wrapper with a Creative that has TrackingEvents defined, they get applied to the VAST Creative of the Linear Element returned by the ad server where the redirect was pointed to. Same could work skipoffset in a VAST 3 Wrapper -> VAST 2 scenario:

1. Ad request to DFP instance
2. VAST 3 Wrapper to ad server X with skipoffset=15 gets returned
3. Ad request to ad server X
4. If VAST 2 is returned use skipoffset=15
    If VAST 3 is returned use that skipoffset or no skipping if not set

This case is not defined in the VAST 3 spec so it's up to you to bring that as a nice new feature I think :-)

If there already is a way to archive what we want, that would be even more awesome.

Thanks!

Shawn Busolits (IMA SDK Team)

Feb 19, 2015, 10:00:28 AM2/19/15
to ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ralf,

Currently this is not supported - we actually ignore any skip offsets in VAST 2 and set it to 5 seconds by default. I'll let them rest of the team know that you're interested in this, though I'm not sure what the priority will be since VAST 3 offers support for this already, and a lot of ad servers are starting to offer that as an option.

Thanks,
Shawn Busolits
IMA SDK Team

Ralf Kruthoff-Brüwer

Feb 19, 2015, 10:25:26 AM2/19/15
to ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shawn,

thanks for your answer. It really seems like it will take a while until the big networks, at least the ones that we are working with, are going for VAST 3.

There's also no way to implement our own skip button with a fixed time and call some API method of the SDK that takes care of actually skipping the ad, right?

Thanks
Ralf

Ralf

Feb 20, 2015, 10:22:51 AM2/20/15
to ima...@googlegroups.com
I just found out that in case a VAST 2 document includes a "skip" tracking event, the skip button shows up after 5 secs. Is there a way to increase that default value to 15 seconds? That would a valid workaround for our VAST 3 -> VAST 2 issue.

Thanks!

Shawn Busolits (IMA SDK Team)

Feb 20, 2015, 10:51:56 AM2/20/15
to ima...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ralf,

Currently there's no way to set the skip timeout on a VAST 2 ad - it will default to 5 seconds.

Thanks,
Shawn Busolits
IMA SDK Team