Funding Choices IDFA explainer message rejected by Apple.

Bart Bonte

Feb 9, 2021, 2:15:52 PM2/9/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Today my app updates got rejected by Apple because I use Funding Choise to display the standard IDFA explainer message. Earlier this week I updated some other apps in the same way and they passed.
So it seems Apple is no longer allowing the Funding Choises IDFA explainer message?

This is the rejection message I recieved:

We noticed that your app urges or manipulates users into granting consent to access the AppTrackingTransparency framework. Specifically, your app displays its own permission request prompt to the user before presenting the iOS permission request.

The permission request process on iOS is designed to give users control of their personal information. It is important to respect the user's decisions about how they want their data used. If they decide to not grant permission to your app, they should not be prompted to change their mind or be forced to reject the request multiple times. You can provide users with additional information about why you’re requesting access to their data before the iOS permission request appears, as long as you don’t include your own custom permission request.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please remove any permission requests in your app that appear before the iOS permission request.

IMA SDK

Feb 9, 2021, 2:24:35 PM2/9/21
to bonte...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bart,

It depends who reviews your app. If you want to be certain that your message will pass you can edit it in Funding Choices. Let me bring this up with my team. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Google Logo
Aryeh Baker
IMA SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2BfG2i:ref

Bart Bonte

Feb 9, 2021, 2:38:07 PM2/9/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Thanks for your prompt reply. So if I would change the button text of the explainer message from 'Allow tracking' to 'Ok' the message would pass?

Bart Bonte

Feb 10, 2021, 2:56:52 AM2/10/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
For your information: now I noticed that the button text of the apps that passed review earlier this week was 'Allow tracking', and the button the text of the apps that got rejected was already 'Continue'. So maybe it's the body text of the standard explainer that causes the rejection?

Bart Bonte

Feb 11, 2021, 2:48:42 AM2/11/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hello,

I have again tried to get an app approced this time with this very simple IDFA explainer message:

Title: "... wants to stay free for you"
Body: "Ads help support our business."
Button: "Continue"

So I'm not even mentioning the app tracking in the explainer message, but again my app was rejected with this reason:

We still noticed that your app urges or manipulates users into granting consent to access the AppTrackingTransparency framework. Specifically, your app displays its own permission request prompt to the user before presenting the iOS permission request.

The permission request process on iOS is designed to give users control of their personal information. It is important to respect the user's decisions about how they want their data used. If they decide to not grant permission to your app, they should not be prompted to change their mind or be forced to reject the request multiple times. You can provide users with additional information about why you’re requesting access to their data before the iOS permission request appears, as long as you don’t include your own custom permission request.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please remove any permission requests in your app that appear before the iOS permission request.

Please advise what I can do to get my apps approved...
Thanks,
Bart

Bart Bonte

Feb 12, 2021, 3:04:56 AM2/12/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Also, when I unpublish the IDFA explainer (because it is no longer allowed by Apple) the iOS tracking permission is never shown to the user...
Please advise how I can move forward to get my apps approved.
Thanks

bonte...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2021, 11:30:59 AM3/23/21
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Any news on this? Your documentation is still advising to implement the UMP SDK with an IDFA explainer message, but Apple is still rejecting this.
Thanks.

IMA SDK

Apr 12, 2021, 4:55:15 PM4/12/21
to bonte...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bart,

My name is Jackson from the IMA SDK team. Sorry for the delay in replying to this, and thank you for your patience.

The funding choices IDFA explainer message is not controlled by the IMA SDK, so it will not be my time that creates the fix for the issue. That being said, let me reach out to see what work can be done to help resolve this.

Thank you,
Jackson
IMA SDK team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2BfG2i:ref

IMA SDK

Jun 18, 2021, 11:03:28 AM6/18/21
to bonte...@gmail.com, ima...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bart,

We have had success with publishers implementing the following consent flow:

Consent Tcf message -> Funding Choices IDFA message -> System ATT request

We have seen Apple accept applications that use this flow.

Please let me know if this does not work for your team, and I can help debug the issue.

Thank you,
Jackson