IMA Android without Google Play Services?

Dec Norton

Jun 21, 2015, 9:51:56 AM6/21/15
to ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We're currently looking at building a native Android TV app that can also be used on the Amazon Fire TV. Works great on Android TV but fails on Amazon Fire TV as the SDK is unable to get an advertising ID through Google Play Services.

Are there a way to get around this or to report our own ID?

Thanks,
Dec

Tyler Sidell (IMA SDK Team)

Jun 22, 2015, 2:42:44 PM6/22/15
to ima...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dec,

Thanks for reaching out.  I understand your situation, but we do not officially support Android TV/Amazon Fire TV at this time.

Thanks,
Tyler Sidell
IMA SDK Team

Ralf

Jun 23, 2015, 5:06:06 AM6/23/15
to ima...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dec,

we use IMA SDK in both Fire TV and Nexus Player and I quickly checked with our engineers how we do it without play services on Fire TV. They said you have to add this to your gradle thingy:

build.gradle:

    compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-base:7.5.0'

    compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads:7.5.0'

That works for us.

Cheers

Ralf

Dec Norton

Jun 24, 2015, 7:07:56 AM6/24/15
to ima...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant, that works! Thanks Ralf.

I'd just had the play-services-ads dependency before, as stated in the Get Started guide.

Thanks,
Dec

Adam Styrc

Jan 29, 2016, 7:11:16 AM1/29/16
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
How are you achieving that ? I added both:
compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads:8.4.0'
compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-base:8.4.0'

but still when invoking:

                AdvertisingIdClient.Info idInfo = null;
try {
idInfo = AdvertisingIdClient.
getAdvertisingIdInfo(applicationContext);
instance.config.set(Config.Text.ADVERTISING_ID, idInfo.getId());
} catch (Exception e) {
e.printStackTrace()
;
}

com.google.android.gms.common.GooglePlayServicesNotAvailableException.

It's on Fire OS 5.0.3.1

Tyler Sidell (IMA SDK Team)

Jan 29, 2016, 9:41:56 AM1/29/16
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi Adam,

You may want to use GooglePlayServicesAvailable before you involve Play services in order to check that Google Play is installed and enabled.  This is a bit out of scope of this forum, but you may want to look at Setting Up Google Play Services.

Thanks,
Tyler Sidell
IMA SDK Team

Message has been deleted

Test Fusioni

Apr 25, 2016, 4:53:12 AM4/25/16
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi Tyler,

I want to know, Is this possible to implement IMA SDK with any other player(Third party library player)?. If Yes please suggest some example.
I want to implement IMA SDK with VisualOn SDK player (used in Amazon Fire TV applications).
Thanks
Mahesh.

Tyler Sidell (IMA SDK Team)

Apr 25, 2016, 10:05:32 AM4/25/16
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi Mahesh,

It is possible to implement the IMA SDK with third party players.  We don't have an example of implementation with VisualOn, but our documentation walks you through adding the Android IMA SDK to the video player app.  This channel doesn't support third party implementations but we have an example that uses ExoPlayer that you can look at for the logic of implementing another player.

Also, for reference it would be better to create a new thread in the future for better tracking.

Thanks,
Tyler Sidell
IMA SDK Team

Test Fusioni

May 4, 2016, 10:10:18 AM5/4/16
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi,

VisualOn Player  SDK and exoplayer both are different kind. VisualOn is a native player uses JNI code. After studying the sample code and tutorial from https://developers.google.com/interactive-media-ads/docs/sdks/android/quickstart.
How to create these file for any other player except videoview.

Tyler Sidell (IMA SDK Team)

May 4, 2016, 3:51:39 PM5/4/16
to Interactive Media Ads SDK
Hi,

We are aware that ExoPlayer and VisualOn Player are two separate players.  As suggested, you would need to pass in your own video player.  ExoPlayer was provided as an example of the logic to pass in a custom player as this forum does not support third party integration.  Also, at the moment we do not officially support Amazon Fire TV either.  I would suggest also reaching out to VisualOn as well to see if they have any documentation on implementing the SDK with their player.

Thanks,
Tyler Sidell
IMA SDK Team