Sintel Released

Mahesh Mohan

Sep 30, 2010, 8:49:18 PM9/30/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
Sintel, Open Movie produced by Blender Foundation after Elephants Dream & Big Buck Bunny is released.

http://www.sintel.org/

http://maheshmohan.co.in
-മഹേഷ് മോഹന്‍ എം.യു

Anish A

Sep 30, 2010, 8:57:33 PM9/30/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/1 Mahesh Mohan <maheshmohan.mu@gmail.com>
Sintel, Open Movie produced by Blender Foundation after Elephants Dream & Big Buck Bunny is released.

http://www.sintel.org/

I will download HD version today and handle to Zyxware soon.
--
Regards,
Anish A

http://identi.ca/aneeshnl

Adhin D

Oct 1, 2010, 8:46:16 AM10/1/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Anish A <aneesh.nl@gmail.com> wrote:

2010/10/1 Mahesh Mohan <maheshmohan.mu@gmail.com>

Sintel, Open Movie produced by Blender Foundation after Elephants Dream & Big Buck Bunny is released.

I saw it... Good one...
Hope big ones will come soon...

May the Tux be with you ... always
- Adhin

Praveen A

Oct 2, 2010, 7:02:19 AM10/2/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com

How about we making one in Malayalam? http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7616

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍

V. Sasi Kumar

Oct 2, 2010, 8:29:12 AM10/2/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 16:32 +0530, Praveen A wrote:

> How about we making one in Malayalam? http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7616

I can contribute to this. Let us identify a good story. I suggest we
take one from the rich mythology of Kerala. Could be a story from
Aithihyamala (ഐതിഹ്യമാല). It could be dubbed into other languages also.
What about one of the stories from Paraypetta panthirukulam - say, some
part of Naranathu bhranthan or Perumthachan? Or, maybe, from
Panchatantram? Let us start it and call for participation.

Best
Sasi

--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India

Adhin D

Oct 2, 2010, 8:47:03 AM10/2/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 5:59 PM, V. Sasi Kumar <sasi...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 16:32 +0530, Praveen A wrote:

> How about we making one in Malayalam? http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7616

I can contribute to this. Let us identify a good story. I suggest we
take one from the rich mythology of Kerala. Could be a story from
Aithihyamala (ഐതിഹ്യമാല). It could be dubbed into other languages also.
What about one of the stories from Paraypetta panthirukulam - say, some
part of Naranathu bhranthan or Perumthachan? Or, maybe, from
Panchatantram? Let us start it and call for participation.

Good Idea...

Shall we start a new thread?

V. Sasi Kumar

Oct 2, 2010, 9:00:20 AM10/2/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 18:17 +0530, Adhin D wrote:

> Good Idea...
> Shall we start a new thread?

Yes. Since we already have a wiki, we can start on the storyboard also.
But first let us decide what the story should be based on. What about a
nice Panchathanthram story? Let us get suggestions.

Adhin D

Oct 2, 2010, 11:27:56 AM10/2/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 6:30 PM, V. Sasi Kumar <sasi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes. Since we already have a wiki, we can start on the storyboard also.
But first let us decide what the story should be based on. What about a
nice Panchathanthram story? Let us get suggestions.

My personal favorite is Aitehyamala (because I like scary/fairy stuff) & I think it needs more popularization than Panchathantra. Panchathantra is almost popular all over India and also in certain foreign countries. I've seen a lot of animated series based on panchathantra stories. But Aitehyamala is not that popular & I don't think any initiative has been made to film it (unless you count certain TV channels adopting its essence & manipulate it to fill their serials). So I think we can adopt a story from Aitehyamala, such that it will stand out.

But I recommend Panchathantra as a start.It will be easier to make a storyboard out of it..
plus, creating animals will be more easy than humans & illusions, right? Let's have a look at Panchathantra stories & find something fit. We can save Aitehyamala for next time...

"May the Tux be with you... always"
- Adhin

Sasi Kumar

Oct 2, 2010, 11:55:31 AM10/2/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On 2 October 2010 20:57, Adhin D <mejaith...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My personal favorite is Aitehyamala (because I like scary/fairy stuff) & I
> think it needs more popularization than Panchathantra. Panchathantra is
> almost popular all over India and also in certain foreign countries. I've
> seen a lot of animated series based on panchathantra stories. But
> Aitehyamala is not that popular & I don't think any initiative has been made
> to film it (unless you count certain TV channels adopting its essence &
> manipulate it to fill their serials). So I think we can adopt a story from
> Aitehyamala, such that it will stand out.

I fully agree with you. Panchathanthra stories have been the basis for
many films, while Aithihyamala has not got much exposure. I would
particularly like something like Naranathu Bhranthan.

> But I recommend Panchathantra as a start.It will be easier to make a
> storyboard out of it..
> plus, creating animals will be more easy than humans & illusions, right?
> Let's have a look at Panchathantra stories & find something fit. We can save
> Aitehyamala for next time...

I am told that is not the case. The complexity depends on the extent
of detail you want. Thus, if you want good detail in the texture and
movement, it wouldn't make much difference whether the characters are
animal or human.

Best
Sasi

--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India

Please see: http://swatantryam.blogspot.com/

Anish A

Oct 1, 2010, 9:52:18 AM10/1/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com

I saw it... Good one...
Hope big ones will come soon...

Watch all these.

You can view the report of the open movie fest conducted in our college at software freedom day here :

http://www.realmcet.co.cc/software-freedom-day/

May the Tux be with you ... always
- Adhin

Also the GNU :-)

Praveen A

Oct 4, 2010, 7:15:20 AM10/4/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/2 Sasi Kumar <sasi...@gmail.com>:

> I am told that is not the case. The complexity depends on the extent
> of detail you want. Thus, if you want good detail in the texture and
> movement, it wouldn't make much difference whether the characters are
> animal or human.

We should start talking to some institutions who can host this movie.
There should be a place to meet, computers for working etc. If we can
find some organizations to support financially, that would enable us
to support members working on the project. Blender foundation has been
able to raise money for the project. But I think we have to come up
with a good plan first. If we have a good plan, we can even raise
money by donations.

V. Sasi Kumar

Oct 4, 2010, 8:36:19 AM10/4/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 16:45 +0530, Praveen A wrote:

> We should start talking to some institutions who can host this movie.
> There should be a place to meet, computers for working etc. If we can
> find some organizations to support financially, that would enable us
> to support members working on the project. Blender foundation has been
> able to raise money for the project. But I think we have to come up
> with a good plan first. If we have a good plan, we can even raise
> money by donations.

Yes, the first thing is to find a good story, prepare a story board and
the characters with some voluntary help and then call for donations and
volunteers to build the movie. I think we can get assistance from the
Blender Foundation. One person who is trained in 3D animation has
volunteered help. Let us think about a story first. I have been thinking
of one of the stories from Parayi petta panthirukulam. Naranathu
bhranthan's story, especially the one in which he meets the chodala
yakshi would be interesting, I think.

Best
Sasi

--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India

http://swatantryam.blogspot.com

Adhin D

Oct 4, 2010, 9:56:55 AM10/4/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 6:06 PM, V. Sasi Kumar <sasi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, the first thing is to find a good story, prepare a story board and
the characters with some voluntary help and then call for donations and
volunteers to build the movie. I think we can get assistance from the
Blender Foundation. One person who is trained in 3D animation has
volunteered help. Let us think about a story first. I have been thinking
of one of the stories from Parayi petta panthirukulam. Naranathu
bhranthan's story, especially the one in which he meets the chodala
yakshi would be interesting, I think.

Can we discuss about it in detail in this months meeting?
Is the venue fixed?

JiShNu

Oct 4, 2010, 10:11:04 AM10/4/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
1) durian team who created this film started their work on October
1,2009. that make exactly 1 year to finish their actual target was to
finish the film within 7 months, with a team of 6 artists and 2
developers. At that time the team still had the hopes to be able to
realize the script in a 6-8 minute film. Later, team was expanded to
14 artists and 3 developers and the movie ended up with a total
duration of 14m:48s, 888 seconds!
Does we have people who knows blender well ? how many we have ?
( Actually blender is not easy to understand like other soft-wares.
newbies will have very hard time to understand everything.)
2) does we have the studio facility for rendering, and sound recording ?

--
(¨`·.·´¨) Always
`·.¸(¨`·.·´¨) Keep

http://thecodecracker.com
http://twitter.com/jishnu7

"The box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed GNU/LINUX..."

V. Sasi Kumar

Oct 4, 2010, 10:27:47 AM10/4/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 19:26 +0530, Adhin D wrote:

> Can we discuss about it in detail in this months meeting?
> Is the venue fixed?

I don't remember whether it has been fixed. If I am here, I can come and
we can discuss.

V. Sasi Kumar

Oct 4, 2010, 10:34:30 AM10/4/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 19:41 +0530, JiShNu wrote:

> Does we have people who knows blender well ? how many we have ?

It is not a question of knowing Blender, it is a question of knowing to
do 3D animation. A person who knows that can learn Blender without much
difficulty. We won't have many, but I think we can get a few people to
help. And we can cut down on details to speed it up.

> 2) does we have the studio facility for rendering, and sound recording ?

Rendering can be handled. I am exploring the possibility of getting it
done. I am reasonably certain that we can get it done without much
trouble.

Mladdy

Oct 5, 2010, 2:26:19 AM10/5/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
@V. Sasi
"Rendering can be handled. I am exploring the possibility of getting
it
done. I am reasonably certain that we can get it done without much
trouble."

Wrong. It cannot be taken lightly. Sintel was rendered on 16 intel
i7-930 nodes with 6 GB each (and more in the end) while Elephants
dream was rendered on nearly 600 servers. I had tried to render one of
my Blender animations on my system (4gb RAM, Phenom x2 at 3.1ghz on
64bit Linux Mint) and it took around ~43 minutes per frame (a total of
424 frames). It was with Ambient occlusion at Additive phase, 2x
Motion Blur, a handful of composite nodes, Ray traced shadows and 4x
subdivision at a mere 960x480 to MOV (meaning, its pretty much low
quality, at maximum optimization). I never completed rendering it. Its
no joke, believe me. Forget about the final rendering, even test
renders will be a time consuming and tedious job if not given the
proper resources. Just imagine rendering at 4k.

Proper inital storyboarding- The Art Director should be able to fully
convey the idea of the shot and the elements, pose his views well with
the directors timing. It is, the base of the movie. The storyboard
should be good enough to dissuade experimentation during actual
production, which can harm the duration of the movie as well as time
taken.

Modelling- Comparatively easier of the lot, Modelling is fun to do
(albeit time consuming) and I bet more people are interested to do
this than the other areas. Organic modelling is really hard (which
this project will definitely need), and if we are to do sculpting,
that would mean more horsepower.

Texturing, Composition and Lighting- The skin of the movie, needs
people good with digital painting and image editing skills,
photography, materialistic sense, composition, etc.I still find it
hard to get my head around mapping.

Blender Node system is one crazy thing, but once you get the hang of
it, its awesome to none. One of the most brilliant aspects of Blender.

Rigging- Personally, I dislike rigging, but its a necessary evil. Its
the most important step before animation. Characters should be pose-
able (bending, twisting etc) in a believable manner (different from
realistic) Its a hard job, but a good rig will make the animators life
much more easier, and allow him/her to focus on the animation than the
controls. [See this for reference, these are some of the best rigs
I've come across, so easy to animate http://www.blendernation.com/2010/09/13/free-rigs-for-blender-2-5/]

Raw Animation talent- Its not just Blender here- you need people who
can animate; and do it convincingly. Good understanding of timing and
spacing, staging and acting is needed. One or 2 people are not enough
if the movie features a handful of characters. Animation is a hard
job, it requires passion, preservation and dexterity.

Post FX- Editing, special effects, etc etc. You get the flow.

@Adhin

"plus, creating animals will be more easy than humans & illusions,
right? "

Wrong again. Animals don't move like human beings. Modelling may be
easier, so will be texturing, but rigging them in a believable manner
will be a task. And so will animating them be. A good knowledge of the
animal in question is needed; how it moves, interacts and lives on
etc. Then again, its all possible too.

But unless you want to create generic, super simple characters,
stylized to an extent in a minimalistic environment with in-the-face
animation, it won't be easy.

Even though I have experience with sound and music, I'm not going
start on it, as I focus more on the visual side than audio. There will
be people with more experience on it than me here.

What about the backbone side? I mean, I'm sure this project is
intended to be done online than offline right? You don't get all
resources at one place do you? So communication, sharing files,
appending will be a problem. Data storage, I mean, and accessing it
from different places. Or what is your idea? Like Blender Institude??
O_O

I'll be happy to participate, if indeed this idea sees the light of
the day.

Cheers,
Milad

V. Sasi Kumar

Oct 5, 2010, 8:25:53 AM10/5/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Milad,

Thanks for the detailed write-up. You are the third person with
animation skills to volunteer for this work. That is good.

I am not taking rendering lightly. I don't want to give details before I
can confirm, but believe me, it should be possible to get rendering
done. What does, for example, a 40-machine farm sound like?

I am not trained in animation, so I don't know the details. But I
understand much of what you are saying. We will need several people to
get this done - it is ambitious, I admit. But let us try. It is better
to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all. I am reasonably
confident of getting support in different ways. SPACE can probably take
a lead too. Let us see.

Kartik Singhal

Oct 5, 2010, 9:40:12 AM10/5/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Mladdy <agen...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sintel was rendered on 16 intel
i7-930 nodes with 6 GB each (and more in the end) while Elephants
dream was rendered on nearly 600 servers. I had tried to render one of
my Blender animations on my system (4gb RAM, Phenom x2 at 3.1ghz on
64bit Linux Mint) and it took around ~43 minutes per frame (a total of
424 frames). It was with Ambient occlusion at Additive phase, 2x
Motion Blur, a handful of composite nodes, Ray traced shadows and 4x
subdivision at a mere 960x480 to MOV (meaning, its pretty much low
quality, at maximum optimization). I never completed rendering it. Its
no joke, believe me. Forget about the final rendering, even test
renders will be a time consuming and tedious job if not given the
proper resources. Just imagine rendering at 4k.

Thanks for the detailed info, Milad.

May be NIT Calicut can be of some help with huge number of resources available in the campus. Of particular interest can be PURNA, a supercomputing facility installed last December, specifications and some details here: www.nitc.ac.in/nitc/Super_Computing.pdf

If something concrete is decided regarding the movie, we can talk to the authorities, I am sure they will agree to support the move as our resources are usually underutilized at present. Though I am not sure PURNA will be of direct help with its current configuration as given in the pdf.

--
Kartik Singhal
BTech CSE Student, NIT Calicut

Milad

Oct 6, 2010, 2:27:31 AM10/6/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
@V Sasi
40 is a great number, but what are the specs?

I can contribute to nearly every aspect of the visual side of things.
I lean more on the animation and modelling side and a fair bit of
texturing. Hope this doesn't fail like our previous venture. Like a
can of Pepsi.

Someone should make a wiki page for this, where volunteers and project
coordinators can discuss the production side of the movie.

JeevZ

Oct 6, 2010, 2:33:37 AM10/6/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
so the story board finalized?

> --
> "Freedom is the only law".
> "Freedom Unplugged"
> http://www.ilug-tvm.org

> ilug-tvm-u...@googlegroups.com
>

> For details visit the google group page:
> http://groups.google.com/group/ilug-tvm?hl=en

--
*ησямαℓιту ιѕ тнє υηινєяѕαℓ α¢¢єρтє∂ кιηк*

Jeevachaithanyan Sivanandan
CyberBeamS Technologies
http://www.cyberbeams.com
http://www.jeevanism.wordpress.com
ph: +919995319639

V. Sasi Kumar

Oct 6, 2010, 5:05:24 AM10/6/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 23:27 -0700, Milad wrote:
> @V Sasi
> 40 is a great number, but what are the specs?

I don't want to commit now. That is why I said that I am reasonably
confident that rendering can be done. I will give details when I know
what we will have. And thanks for volunteering. We are just at the very
beginning of implementing it. In fact, we have just put the idea before
people. There remains a lot of organising to be done before we can start
working on it.

Praveen A

Oct 7, 2010, 7:48:54 AM10/7/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/6 JeevZ <jeev...@gmail.com>:

> so the story board finalized?

Lets start with a code name and we can use fosscommunity.in wiki. I
prefer some stories not related to any religion (ഐതിഹ്യമാലയ്ക്കു് ആ
പ്രശ്നമുണ്ടു്)

so next steps,

1. code name - I suggest ചാമ്പ (blender foundation traditionally give
fruit names)
2. wiki page
3. story

Once we have these, we can ask organisations to host it and seek donations.

JeevZ

Oct 7, 2010, 8:07:40 AM10/7/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
i like the codename..

and story..

what about Esope stories>???
they arent religious..

Sooraj Kenoth

Oct 7, 2010, 9:57:24 AM10/7/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com

> and story..

പറഞ്ഞു കേട്ടുള്ള അറിവാണ്. പണ്ട് കേരളത്തില്‍ താഴ്ന്ന ജാതിക്കാര്‍
സംസ്കൃതം പഠിക്കുന്നത് ശിക്ഷാര്‍ഹമായിരുന്നു. പ്രൊപ്രൈറ്ററി സോഫ്റ്റ
വെയറും സമാനമായ ഒന്നാണ് എന്നാണ് എനിക്ക് തോന്നിയിട്ടുള്ളത്. അതിനെ
ചുറ്റിപ്പറ്റി ഒരു കഥയാണെങ്കില്‍ നല്ലതായിരിക്കുമെന്ന് തോന്നുന്നു.

> 2) does we have the studio facility for rendering, and sound recording ?

I hope for rendering we can use facilities available in varies
engineering colleges in kerala. The key problem might be in sound
recording/dubbing etc.

--
Regards
Sooraj Kenoth

Mobile: +91 999 555 15 49

Adhin D

Oct 7, 2010, 8:14:53 PM10/7/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/7 Sooraj Kenoth <sooraj...@zyxware.com>

> and story..

What about this month's meeting? We can discuss all these in the meeting...

Milad

Oct 8, 2010, 1:19:42 AM10/8/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
I think you all should be aware that none of the Open Movies had sound
or music made in open source software. Editing is completely possible,
like using Audacity, but creation at the moment, is severely limited.
Jan Morgenstern (composer of Music for open movies so far) composed
the music using commercial software. FOSS audio softwares aren't ripe
enough for complete creation of tracks from scratch, like as is
possible using commercial packages like FLStudio, Cubase, Sonar, etc
etc. I believe its useless worrying about that side for the moment
IMHO.

sooraj kenoth

Oct 8, 2010, 3:04:54 AM10/8/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
>What about this month's meeting? We can discuss all these in the meeting...

Didn't get any venue till now. It is supposed to be on tomorrow. There
where only three people for last month meeting.

V. Sasi Kumar

Oct 8, 2010, 3:38:49 AM10/8/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 12:34 +0530, sooraj kenoth wrote:

> Didn't get any venue till now. It is supposed to be on tomorrow. There
> where only three people for last month meeting.

When do you want the meeting? We can explore the possibility of
conducting in SPACE.

Sajjad Anwar

Oct 8, 2010, 7:43:45 AM10/8/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I would just crash in and say this is going to be a wonderful venture! Have been away from the list and did not follow much of the conversation.
From our telephone conversation last night, me and Praveen has observed that one of the reason why the MES-FSUG open movie project lost its focus because of lack of plan of action and driving force.

I think we might need to pitch in and create a good team. (We are already in!)
And create what and when and where kind of documents. Why don't we start a wiki as soon as we name the project ?

A meeting is very essential and that too quick one. We can take this up in to discussion during the next SMC Camp? And also during the next MES-FSUG meeting?

Regards.
--
Sajjad Anwar | http://geohackers.in | Blog: http://sajjad.in | Twitter: geohacker

Milad

Oct 9, 2010, 12:37:35 AM10/9/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
Unless we get together who can actually work on the movie, I don't
think we will reach anywhere.

Raj mohan

Oct 10, 2010, 12:36:37 PM10/10/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
I think story of vikramaditya would be apt.some other goodd stories
are,
the story of iruthalapakshi from panchthanthram or the
gajendhramoksham.
It would be also good to consider some "Basheeriyan stories",like
mucheetu kalikkarante makal or anavariyum ponkurishum.it would be nice
to actually create the kaduvakuzhikunnu gramam.anyways goodluck with
the project.

JeevZ

Oct 14, 2010, 2:35:01 AM10/14/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Basheerian Story.. thats great,, may be the Mookkan story...

Milad

Oct 15, 2010, 2:05:32 AM10/15/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
I think everyone here should read this article.

http://andy-dolphin.blogspot.com/2007/08/want-to-make-open-movie.html

Nuff said.

Praveen A

Oct 15, 2010, 2:35:00 AM10/15/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/15 Milad <agen...@gmail.com>:

> I think everyone here should read this article.
>
> http://andy-dolphin.blogspot.com/2007/08/want-to-make-open-movie.html
>
> Nuff said.

That was really a must read, thanks for sharing. There is something to
learn in failures as well, many freedom fighters did not see India
liberated in their life time, but they fought anyway because they knew
they had to.

We can follow many guidelines given in this blog. Lets decide about
director, team leaders etc in a meeting.

So we have a wiki page now
http://www.fosscommunity.in/wiki/Chamba

Help me summarize the discussions we had till now in the wiki.

How about meeting at foss.in?

ashik salahudeen

Oct 15, 2010, 2:48:10 AM10/15/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Milad. That was a really good read. My 2 paisas worth:

Lets find out someone in the group who actually wants to make an
animated movie, not because she/he is excited about community
contributions, nut because she/he is excited about making an animated
movie.

Is there anyone here ? Someone who absolutely wants to tell a story
through a movie ?

--
aashik

JiShNu

Oct 15, 2010, 10:19:18 PM10/15/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
I know Milad well. We once tried to make an open movie in MES-FSUG. I think he is the right person to become the Director and Lead Designer.

--
aashik

--
"Freedom is the only law".
"Freedom Unplugged"
http://www.ilug-tvm.org

ilug-tvm-u...@googlegroups.com

For details visit the google group page: http://groups.google.com/group/ilug-tvm?hl=en

--
(¨`·.·´¨) Always
  `·.¸(¨`·.·´¨) Keep
(¨`·.·´¨)¸.·´ Smiling!
  `·.¸.·´         jíکhńú

http://blog.thecodecracker.com

Raj mohan

Oct 16, 2010, 7:14:09 AM10/16/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
We all want to make a movie.But the problem is that everyone will have
different ideas.Just finalise a list of top 5 ideas amd make a
poll.then we will have a story.for that to happen a team has to be
created.so who ever started this idea better start moving fast.I can
only say one thing that is i am willing to be apart of this
project.thank u.

Milad

Oct 18, 2010, 6:42:07 AM10/18/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
>>I know Milad well. We once tried to make an open movie in MES-FSUG. I think
he is the right person to become the Director and Lead Designer.

Thanks for the encouragement Jishnu. But I'm pretty sure this is too
early to tell, and there maybe better skilled people than me.

>>We all want to make a movie.But the problem is that everyone will have different ideas. Just finalise a list of top 5 ideas amd make a poll.then we will have a story.for that to happen a team has to be created.so who ever started this idea better start moving fast.I can only say one thing that is i am willing to be apart of this project.thank u.

I can't agree more with what Raj Mohan said. If we need to see this
project come alive, atleast to say that we tried, someone should get
this up and running fast.

Personally, I dislike mythologies, of every kind. I'm not saying why
to avoid a possible flame war. I'm just mentioning it because its
really hard to work on something you don't like, as it can cause
problems or even drive you to a halt. I'm a fan of modern and
everyday stories, and I particularly like Basheer's work. But then
again, the point of making an animation movie is to do something a
camera can't, and logic can be ruled out. I maybe outnumbered I
believe.

Even though I have no power over this right now, I'd surely
appreciate if volunteers could state in what way they can contribute
to the project. It will give a better idea of how strong the project
is and in what way we are.

Also, here's a little table showing what all kinds of talent (and
possibly how many) would be required for doing a movie from start to
finish. It also shows the work distribution. There will definitely
be more categories, but this will make for a brief list.

So it will be like Contributor, Numbers, Description.

1) Scriptwriter (1) - Obviously, the person giving the movie the
cause for it to exist. He/she should make a summary of the story, a
scipt and then finally, a shot-by-shot breakdown. He should co-work
with the director and storyboard artist, and make it possible to be
made into the a movie, without any later second thoughts or
deviations. On a side note, the software he can use for the entire
project can be Celtx (www.celtx.com). Its an awesome free software
that can be used for script writing, planning and rough
storyboarding. I've been playing around for a while and I believe
nothing short of it will be more valuable to us. Once the script is
completed, it should not be changed, and the scriptwriter need not be
there during the production of the movie.

1) Producer (more better term would be co-ordinator)- Just as
important, here, he should keep the production of the movie in
check, get volunteers, arrange for facilities and support that
publicity aspect of the movie. But I believe, in the case of a
community-collaborated movie, things will change.

2) Director (1) - Should have complete dictatorial control over every
aspect of the film. Ofcourse, this is after a certain possible votes
can be taken over film elements. But this is mainly to avoid
inconsistent stylization of the movie and chaos over several peoples
likes and dislies. He should know, or have a solid idea on
everything that takes to make a motion picture, from software, to
techniques.

3) Art Director aka Concept artist/Storyboard artist (1)- Should work
closely with the Director and Scriptwriter to create with what the
director has in mind. He should create the character designs,
enviroment designs, matte paints, and every single scene, to
understand camera angles, color tones, staging and space. The better
the art is, the more closely can the final product be matched to the
concept. Softwares he can use include MyPaint, GIMP (with GPS) or
Krita or anything else that can handle painting and complex image
editing. GIMP+Mypaint is reliable combo and I can personally vouche
for them.

4) Modellers (depends, maximum 3-5 to keep work easy) - Creates the
'clay' models of the movie elements; every 3d visual element of the
movie. One can use Blender, Wings3D or any other software that can
effectively model and import into Blender flawlessly. Its best
sticking to Blender though, as it will make things much more easier
with less headaches.

5) Texture artists, compositors, vfx artists (3-5)- The people who
give the the movie the 'color' and 'skin'. I don't know if you've
understood, but I have no better way of putting it. Texturing is a
complex job and requires good skills with painting and image editing
software, and the logic to understand how a texture is applied to a
model/mesh. It would help alot if the person is a photographer or
materistic craftsman too.

Compositors according to webopedia, is 'the process of superimposing
one image over top of another image, combined they create one new
single image.' While it may be true to a great extent, it also deals
with color correction, and post production. Blender has a superb
compositor built in with many effects, I can guarentee Blender
itself can very well handle our requirements.

VFX artists create the special effects required to enhance the movie
and add elements that may not be easily possible with modelling, such
as using particles to simulate rain, snow, fire, smoke; simulating
rigid/soft body physics such as clothes, rocks, etc.

6) Rigger (1)- refer my previous post. If someone wants, I can
explain in more detail.

7) Animator (2-4)- Again refer my previous post.

8) Editor - (not really required, in a case like this, to keep
volunteers minimum, its also better if the director can do it)

Can use Blender or any video editing software to 'stitch' together
the shots, add sound, bring the whole thing into one solid movie
file.

9) Sound designer, musician (number depends, I believe 1 or 2 are
enough)- Currently impossible to do completely in FOSS, there's no
choice at the moment but to use commercial software other than for
minor tasks. Obviously talent plays a huge role here, and by keeping
the FOSS tag off, its comparatively easier to get volunteers. Even
if the management dislikes the fact that using FOSS isn't really all
that possible.

10) Voice actors

11) Technicians - These guys will manage the networks, how the files
are to be shared and distributed. Hopefully help the volunteers with
troubleshooting too :) This will still depend on where and how the
movie is to be made though

In my opinion, certain level of closeness is also required in an open
movie. For example, keeping the number of volunteers a little tight
if possible, to create the work easily distributable and make sure
the idea has passed on to him/her well. Then giving the Director
maximum control and final voice over movie elements, once everything
has been fixed. There are quite a lot of reasons and you can try
reading the article from the previous link I posted. By open movie, I
believe it refers to using FOSS to completely create a rock solid
and effective piece of film. Some may argue, but keeping it open as
in 'open software' can wreck havoc. Please read the article from the
link once again.

If anything is off, please feel free to add, comment or correct. Alot
of this may be wrong, but this is just a result from my endless
research and experience. Also, I hope this will give an idea for a
realistic and manageable project.

I can understand TLDR too, this post is just too long :)

JeevZ

Oct 18, 2010, 6:49:14 AM10/18/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
--
"Freedom is the only law".
"Freedom Unplugged"
http://www.ilug-tvm.org

ilug-tvm-u...@googlegroups.com

For details visit the google group page: http://groups.google.com/group/ilug-tvm?hl=en

 great and really informative thread. ok. I dnt know  on which category I could be volunteer but I am  really wanna be in the team if I am useful.

Like they said, we should have a decorum in the team.. so should we choose a story and finalize first??
--
ησямαℓιту ιѕ тнє υηινєяѕαℓ α¢¢єρтє∂ кιηк

V. Sasi Kumar

Oct 18, 2010, 7:15:10 AM10/18/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Shall we create a new mailing list for mails related to this? That way,
it becomes easy to know how many people are there in the group and also
add people who may not want to get all FSUG mails. What do you think?

Anish A

Oct 18, 2010, 8:03:03 AM10/18/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com

2010/10/18 V. Sasi Kumar <sasi...@gmail.com>

Shall we create a new mailing list for mails related to this? That way,
it becomes easy to know how many people are there in the group and also
add people who may not want to get all FSUG mails. What do you think?

Best
Sasi

Yes. I agree to that. It will be much easy to manage.

Please avoid google groups.
--
Regards,
Anish A

http://identi.ca/aneeshnl

സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യം തന്നെയമൃതം സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യം തന്നെ ജീവിതം
പാരതന്ത്ര്യം മാനികള്‍ക്ക് മൃതിയെക്കാള്‍ ഭയാനകം
- മഹാകവി കുമാരനാശാന്‍

Praveen A

Oct 18, 2010, 8:35:01 AM10/18/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/18 Milad <agen...@gmail.com>:

I am volunteering for this. I will start with a mailing list and then
find some time to focus on this.

> 2) Director (1) - Should have complete  dictatorial control over every
> aspect of the  film. Ofcourse, this is after a certain possible  votes
> can be taken over film elements. But this  is mainly to avoid
> inconsistent stylization of  the movie and chaos over several peoples
> likes  and dislies. He should know, or have a solid  idea on
> everything that takes to make a motion  picture, from software, to
> techniques.

I think Milad should direct it.

> --
> "Freedom is the only law".
> "Freedom Unplugged"
> http://www.ilug-tvm.org

> ilug-tvm-u...@googlegroups.com
>

> For details visit the google group page: http://groups.google.com/group/ilug-tvm?hl=en

Sajjad Anwar

Oct 18, 2010, 9:13:22 AM10/18/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
I'm in to volunteer too!

11) Technicians - These guys will manage the  networks, how the files
are to be shared and  distributed. Hopefully help the volunteers with
troubleshooting too :) This will still depend on  where and how the
movie is to be made though

I can help with Tech Support :)

Milad

Oct 18, 2010, 9:51:14 AM10/18/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
The categorization is helping after all! Sajjad, that's one of the
crucial backbones in film making, and you're just too good.

>>I think Milad should direct it.

Thank you Praveen. That still depends on some factors.

>>Shall we create a new mailing list for mails related to this? That way,
>>it becomes easy to know how many people are there in the group and also
>>add people who may not want to get all FSUG mails. What do you think?

Yes Sasi Sir, I think its a great idea. But won't it detract from
gaining more viewers who are new to ILUG Groups? So other than
existing users, will newer people know of it?

>>Please avoid google groups.

I agree with it too, GG is cumbersome, and sometimes the session
expires when I type a long post, making it absolute waste of the time
taken. Perhaps a wiki with a forum will do this good?

Hiran Venugopalan

Oct 18, 2010, 10:16:40 AM10/18/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com

I think I can help on screen play and story board.

--
Hiran Venugopalan
Usability / IxD Geek, Ubiqurio

V. Sasi Kumar

Oct 18, 2010, 11:13:35 AM10/18/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 06:51 -0700, Milad wrote:

> Yes Sasi Sir, I think its a great idea. But won't it detract from
> gaining more viewers who are new to ILUG Groups? So other than
> existing users, will newer people know of it?

You have a point there. But, possibly, we could overcome that by doing
some kind of periodic reporting to the FSUG list - say, once a month. I
think that is necessary because the members should be kept informed of
the progress. We could put everything in a wiki too. The discussions
could be done there. I am not sure which is the best way. What do the
others think?

Raj mohan

Oct 18, 2010, 11:35:13 AM10/18/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram

thanks milad and wow what a ......write up.I think i am willing to
work in these categories.(loved cartoons from the day i had memory)

Milad

Oct 19, 2010, 12:43:41 AM10/19/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
On a side note, I'd like to add one extra thing. Since the past few
months I've been working on my own little animation movie using
Blender. Its a pretty demanding project, with complex character
setups, simulations and texture generation. However, I'm willing to
put my personal project on a halt if we take this one seriously enough
to guarantee it completion, obtaining the needed creative man power
and workflow. I speculate mine to be completed in nearly a year, so
its either a balance or sacrifice.

We need to make a little movie that people will want to talk about,
one that also has the capacity to spread on its own. Not one just for
the sake of a movie; that is a complete waste of time, and effort. For
that we need pure, raw talent. I'm looking at how to make a wiki right
now (I'm more of an artist than a technical guy), so I figure putting
a step forward will give this some heat.

JeevZ

Oct 19, 2010, 2:24:29 AM10/19/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
--
"Freedom is the only law".
"Freedom Unplugged"
http://www.ilug-tvm.org

ilug-tvm-u...@googlegroups.com

For details visit the google group page: http://groups.google.com/group/ilug-tvm?hl=en

ok. please dont forget me to add on new mailing list.

Milad

Oct 21, 2010, 8:02:28 AM10/21/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
At the moment, I'm writing an article pretty much exclusively for this
list, briefing and possibly explaining the challenges, work-arounds
and hardships (according to my experience and knowledge) that we'll
meet with if the project is seriously taken up. I'm doing this because
it will give a rather substantial idea regarding the feasibility of
this project; meaning, giving a better understanding whether this will
work out or not. Upon reading, you all can consider whether going
about this will be worth our time and effort, not to mention patience.

I'm slightly disappointed to think that this maybe be another one of
those ventures that never even started. Maybe the slow progress can be
fruitful in a longer run. I don't know. Its easy to say 'I can
contribute', but its even easier to be turned off by the whole thing
once the volunteer will see the tasks at hand.

I strongly believe much more than the tools used, its the skill level
that matters. So incase I finish this article, I'm planning to
provide, in order of requirement and complexity, the links to step-by-
step tutorials and resources for most of the softwares, from total
beginners to really advanced ones. With that, people wanting to learn
Blender for this movie (or for their own purposes) need not go
anywhere else hunting.

Milad

Oct 22, 2010, 1:55:59 AM10/22/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
Here's an interview with Blender Developer, Campbell Barton. He gives
an insight to the challenges and problems faced during the production
of Sintel. It also gives a good insight on the development of Blender.

Honestly, after listening to this interview, my doubts about the final
rendering of our supposed movie have turned into more or less
skeptical.

http://www.blenderguru.com/interview-with-campbell-barton/

Milad

Oct 25, 2010, 3:09:11 AM10/25/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
I'm reverting my attention and focus back to my personal project. Its
been nice talking with all of you.

Raj mohan

Oct 25, 2010, 10:06:08 AM10/25/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
gave up so quickly....!

On 10/25/10, Milad <agen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm reverting my attention and focus back to my personal project. Its
> been nice talking with all of you.

Praveen A

Oct 25, 2010, 12:00:02 PM10/25/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/25 Milad <agen...@gmail.com>:

> I'm reverting my attention and focus back to my personal project. Its
> been nice talking with all of you.

Milad,

Your contributions to the discussions were really important. It is
kind of hard to chose between projects you really like. Now its even
more challenging, but we will continue this effort. Personally, I see
the effort of producing a movie in way we want movies to be produced
is more motivating than the movie itself. As a coordinator for this
project, I need to put more effort and time to this project.

Folks, we are still on this project. Today I was thinking about
advocating this project as a people's effort to produce a movie by
involving common people in movie making.

Cheers
Praveen

Milad

Oct 26, 2010, 4:35:11 AM10/26/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
>>Folks, we are still on this project. Today I was thinking about
>>advocating this project as a people's effort to produce a movie by
>>involving common people in movie making.

While it is generally a really nice idea, I think it will lead to
chaos. Or maybe my vision of an organized movie making procedure may
be too closed, albeit I'm positive it will only lead to good results.
Not being rude, but personally, I'm not so interested in going for a
movie just for the sake of it. Just my opinion.

>>Personally, I see
>>the effort of producing a movie in way we want movies to be produced
>>is more motivating than the movie itself.

Maybe it is, but I don't think such a venture will reach far. I may be
wrong though. Although I'm no fan of how movies are made in Hollywood,
I think schedules and keeping to the requirements may only do good to
a project like this.

>>gave up so quickly....!

If you look at this thread as a whole, I didn't see much of any real
contribution, or any progress at all, with time. I've been looking at
the management side too, like creating a wiki and all, but its beyond
my knowledge, and no one has volunteered to make one (I prefer being
an artist instead of being a jack-of-all-trades). In scenarios like
this, I think things should move fast else the project will die real
soon.

However, I will still be following this thread. I'll try to help you
people with what I know of, wherever possible. My project is a little
too ambitious, so I may not want to keep it aside until I'm quite sure
there's some substance here.

JiShNu

Oct 26, 2010, 6:03:43 AM10/26/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
The progress of this project is much less than our previous attempt in MES-FSUG. We even finalised the story, and the storyboard too, even started object modeling, Here it is too slow and don't have valunteers in the core section (ie. things related to blender). Yesterday i thought i should mail about this.

--
"Freedom is the only law".
"Freedom Unplugged"
http://www.ilug-tvm.org

ilug-tvm-u...@googlegroups.com

For details visit the google group page: http://groups.google.com/group/ilug-tvm?hl=en

Milad

Oct 26, 2010, 1:23:14 PM10/26/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
>>The progress of this project is much less than our previous >>attempt in
>>MES-FSUG. We even finalised the story, and the storyboard too, >>even started
>>object modeling, Here it is too slow and don't have valunteers in >>the core
>>.section (ie. things related to blender). Yesterday i thought i should >>mail about this.

I couldn't put it any better than this. I don't see anyone with any
real experience with Blender. Not that I'm a Blender guru, but if this
needs to move, we need laborers, not just architects.

Milad

Nov 4, 2010, 1:40:10 AM11/4/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
There's pretty much no use pulling this back up, but I just wanted to
share a very informative and interesting video. Check it out. Its a
documentary of the making of Sintel.
http://www.sintel.org/news/sintel-documentary/

Praveen A

Nov 4, 2010, 9:19:31 AM11/4/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/26 Milad <agen...@gmail.com>:

> I couldn't put it any better than this. I don't see anyone with any
> real experience with Blender. Not that I'm a Blender guru, but if this
> needs to move, we need laborers, not just architects.

Milad,

Give me some more time to boot this up. This is not something we have
done earlier. But the potential of this project is enormous, so we
have to do it.

My immediate idea is to setup the project website and have a pretty
good narrative of what we are going to do and what are the things we
would like to achieve from this project - not just the end product.
(If anyone would like to help with the website please reply).

I look at this project as an opportunity to reach out to maximum
number of people to spread the message of free culture - a culture of
sharing a collaboration. It is not just about a movie project, but a
completely new way of collaborating to create things in commons (Free
Software and wikipedia have evolved models for similar ideas and this
is our turn to find out a sustainable model for movie making).

We definitely need some people to work on it full time and we need to
raise funds for that. So as a parallel step to website can you come up
with an initial estimate of how much money we would need? (Others who
have got ideas about these kind of estimates, please help Milad). Once
we have an initial estimate we can start grass root fund collection
drive. I believe campuses and user groups will have a great role to
play. I will start with some of the campuses here in Pune where I have
access as a pilot and see how feasible the idea is. We could show Sita
Sings the Blues, Elephants Dream, Sintel, Yes Men and other Free
movies and ask people to contribute. Another idea I have is to sell
DVDs/VCDs of these movies to generate some money. That kind of
involvement in help fund the project is also an important contribution
and I believe we can get some volunteers for that. We could approach
some organisations (even Blender foundation itself) also for funding.
Even if we don't get anywhere with this particular project, we would
still be spreading message of Free Culture and getting people involved
in Free Culture movement. Even if we fail, we would be learning
lessons for future projects. When we learn to ride a bicycle we fall
so many times, so lets not be afraid of falling and just learn to
ride. I know if feels good to talk and write but making it a reality
would take a great effort. But we have to start somewhere.

We can start the content part when we reach a certain percentage of
our estimate. That way no one has to make tough choices based on just
a whacky idea.

We will split the team into logistics support and creative team.
Logistic support would take care of raising money and other technical
details. Creative team will have complete freedom with the content of
the project.

So I will have the website ready by Monday and we will take the
project from there.

Milad, how much time you would need to come up with an initial
estimate for the project?

Also I don't want to pull you into this project unless we are sure of
the resources and you have to compromise your personal project. So you
give us the estimate and we will call you once we are confident about
getting the resources (we raise a certain percentage of the estimate).

Praveen|പ്രവീണ്‍

Nov 7, 2010, 2:52:47 PM11/7/10
On Nov 4, 6:19 pm, Praveen A <prav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I will have the website ready by Monday and we will take the
> project from there.

We have the website ready http://www.chambaproject.in (We can setup a
wiki and a list too)

I have asked people to pledge 500 rupees if they would like to see
this project happen. If we meet this target by 1st January we will be
in position to make serious commitments. So lets work on those aspects
which would enable us to be ready we really start.

Sign this pledge at http://www.pledgebank.com/chambaproject

Cheers
Praveen

V. Sasi Kumar

Nov 7, 2010, 10:31:54 PM11/7/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 11:52 -0800, Praveen|പ്രവീണ്‍ wrote:

> We have the website ready http://www.chambaproject.in (We can setup a
> wiki and a list too)

Good beginning. We need a list. As I said earlier, there are a few
people who may contribute, but they may not want to receive all the
mails from this list.

Why don't we call it 'Swathanthra Malayalam Cinema"? We may eventually
find people who are willing to do a regular feature film that can be
Free (as in freedom). I would certainly like to be involved in such a
film.

Praveen A

Nov 8, 2010, 5:41:05 AM11/8/10