Problem with Visiontek 3G modem

V. Sasi Kumar

Mar 30, 2012, 11:16:18 PM3/30/12
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

I am using an Idea 3G mobile broadband connection. The dongle is a
Visiontex device and I find that once I disconnect the device and try to
connect again later, it gives quite a bit of trouble. Often, I have to
restart the laptop (sometimes more than once) and/or unplug the device
and plug it in on another usb port and keep trying this until finally it
connects. I have not been able to make out the problem. I am using GNOME
on Linux Mint. I had similar problems earlier also when I tried to use a
BSNL 3G dongle, also of Visiontek. Has anyone else had a similar
experience and found a solution? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Sasi
--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India

Arun Babu

Mar 31, 2012, 1:19:26 AM3/31/12
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
I had a similar issue with my Beetel USB 3G Modem.
Since I couldnt find any fix online, i tried calling the Docomo
Customer care to know
if it was their problem. And surprisingly they told that it should be
an issue with their
tower's signal variation and that it will be fixed soon. Whatsoever i
dont have that
problem now and it has been fixed somehow!

One more thing I have with this USB modem is that it totally doesnt
detect the sim card
in Windows7 64 bit. And still this problem is unfixed. If you are
familiar with this issue
do let me know!

Arun

> --
> "Freedom is the only law".
> "Freedom Unplugged"
> http://www.ilug-tvm.org

> ilug-tvm-u...@googlegroups.com
>

> For details visit the google group page: http://groups.google.com/group/ilug-tvm?hl=en

perfect indian

Mar 31, 2012, 1:39:57 PM3/31/12
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
chettanamaarey onnu google cheythu nokku please vision tek njaan use cheyyunnu just google please

Visakh

Apr 10, 2012, 11:15:24 AM4/10/12
to ilug...@googlegroups.com, sasi...@gmail.com
Sir,
  Sorry for late response. Hope you got the solution. If not, any info on the dongle chipset will help. Please post lsusb output with the dongle connected.

Regards,
Gokul Das

Arun Babu

Apr 10, 2012, 11:37:32 AM4/10/12
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
home@arun-Studio-1558:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 192f:0416 Avago Technologies, Pte.
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 19d2:2003 ONDA Communication S.p.A.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 413c:8160 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 413c:8162 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 413c:8161 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0c45:6417 Microdia
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub
(part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

> --
> "Freedom is the only law".
> "Freedom Unplugged"
> http://www.ilug-tvm.org

> ilug-tvm-u...@googlegroups.com
>

> For details visit the google group page:
> http://groups.google.com/group/ilug-tvm?hl=en

--
*Cheers,

Arun Babu
College Of Engineering,
Trivandrum.*

V. Sasi Kumar

Apr 11, 2012, 12:32:09 AM4/11/12
to Visakh, ilug...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 08:15 -0700, Visakh wrote:
> Sir,
> Sorry for late response. Hope you got the solution. If not, any info
> on the dongle chipset will help. Please post lsusb output with the
> dongle connected.

Thank you, Visakh, I cannot say that I have solved the problem. The
connection works sometimes and some other times, when I connect the
dongle and connect to the Internet, initially, the Network Manager does
not connect, and then I change to another USB port and simply do Edit
Connection and save and then it may work. However, I have not been able
to use it with wvdial. I found that the vendor id is 230d and product id
is 0007. The device is mounted in /dev/serial/by-id as
usb-HSPADataCard_HSPADataCard_8444311594054030-if01

I tried to use these bits of information to run wvdial. It did connect,
but the connection did not stay for long. So, I gave up, and am using
the Network Manager, though it does give trouble connecting.

Here is the output of lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard Bluetooth 2.0 Interface
[Broadcom BCM2045]
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 230d:0007

Thanks and regards,

Visakh

Apr 11, 2012, 12:09:21 PM4/11/12
to ilug...@googlegroups.com, sasi...@gmail.com
Hi,

@ Sasi sir,

    Software problems tend to be predictable and repeatable. This one sounds otherwise. So I can't say for sure I have a solution. But I did find a possible explanation and solution. The device may be so new that linux support may be just appearing (note that the USB vendor and device IDs are not recognised in the lsusb output). A solution to similar problem in a 3G dongle from the same vendor is given in the following blog:

    http://amit-mendapara.blogspot.in/2010/11/amazing-bsnl-3g.html

    The post has a detailed explanation of the solution (assuming that I am looking at the correct problem). Others also have suggested the same solution. The problem description is given by the usb-modeswitch tool site as:

More and more USB devices (especially high-speed WAN stuff, based on cell phone chipsets containing that feature) have their MS Windows drivers onboard; when plugged in for the first time they act like a flash storage and start installing the driver from there. After installation (and on every consecutive plugging) the driver switches the mode internally, the storage device vanishes (in most cases), and a new device (like an USB modem) shows up. Modem maker "Option" calls that feature "ZeroCD (TM)" since it eliminates the need for shipping a separate driver carrier.

In the beginning, nothing of this was documented in any form and there was hardly any Linux support available.
On the good side, most of the known devices do work in both modes with the available Linux drivers like "usb-storage" or "option" (an optimized serial driver for high-speed modems).
That leaves only the problem of the mode switching from storage to modem or whatever the thing is supposed to do.

    What I believe is the problem is that your USB dongle is getting mode switched correctly only in some instances - may be due to some other factor. Sir, you could do some experiments as suggested in the blog to determine if this is indeed the problem. If you need assistance with more analysis, please post the result of the following command (The result would be enlightening for me and others even otherwise):

    lsusb -vd 230d:0007

@ Arun sir,

    I believe that you modem is device 19d2:2003. Could you post the result from:

    lsusb -vd 19d2:2003

Regards,
Gokul Das

V. Sasi Kumar

Apr 11, 2012, 1:23:22 PM4/11/12
On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 09:09 -0700, Visakh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> @ Sasi sir,
>
> Software problems tend to be predictable and repeatable. This one
> sounds otherwise. So I can't say for sure I have a solution. But I did
> find a possible explanation and solution.

That is okay. Thanks for the help, anyway.

> The device may be so new that linux support may be just appearing
> (note that the USB vendor and device IDs are not recognised in the
> lsusb output).

Yes, that sounds sensible.

> A solution to similar problem in a 3G dongle from the same vendor is
> given in the following blog:
>
> http://amit-mendapara.blogspot.in/2010/11/amazing-bsnl-3g.html

Thank you for the link, Visakh. The post is well written and clear. But
I have one doubt. He writes, "Using lsusb I found that the device has
three configurations." Then he goes on to use the command,

sudo usb_modeswitch -v 230d -p 0001 -u 3

to switch the device to modem mode. But, as you have seen, the lsusb
command in my case does not give any such details, like what should be
the number to follow -u in the command. Could this be because, as you
say, "The device may be so new that linux support may be just
appearing"?

I am attaching as a text file the output of the lsusb -vd 230d:0007
command just for your knowledge. I have not done any experiments as you
have suggested. I shall do that later and let you know the results. But
this output seems to say that here also it is mode 3, unless I am
mistaken.

Thanks and regards,

lsusb.text

Visakh

Apr 13, 2012, 2:11:00 AM4/13/12
to ilug...@googlegroups.com, Visakh, sasi...@gmail.com
Hi,

On Wednesday, 11 April 2012 22:53:22 UTC+5:30, V. Sasi Kumar wrote:
Thank you for the link, Visakh. The post is well written and clear. But

I have one doubt. He writes, "Using lsusb I found that the device has
three configurations." Then he goes on to use the command,

sudo usb_modeswitch -v 230d -p 0001 -u 3

to switch the device to modem mode. But, as you have seen, the lsusb
command in my case does not give any such details, like what should be
the number to follow -u in the command. Could this be because, as you
say, "The device may be so new that linux support may be just
appearing"?

The configurations (modes) are given in deep detail by the lsusb -v command. A summary is posted below:

Device: Communications
  Configuration: MSC AutoInstall Device
    Interface: SCSI Mass Storage
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
  Configuration: WMC Device
    Interface: Communications/Wireless Handset Control
    Interface: USB Modem1 - Communications/modem (AT-commands)
      Endpoint: Interrupt
    Interface: USB Modem1 - CDC Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
    Interface: USB Modem2 - Communications/modem (AT-commands)
      Endpoint: Interrupt
    Interface: USB Modem2 - CDC Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
    Interface: Communications/Device Management
      Endpoint: Interrupt
    Interface: Audio/Control Device
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio In (disabled)
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio In (PCM 16Bit Mono)
      Endpoint: Isochronous Data
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio Out (disabled)
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio Out (PCM 16Bit Mono)
      Endpoint: Isochronous Data
    Interface: Bulk SCSI Mass Storage
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
  Configuration: WMC Device
    Interface: Communications/Wireless Handset Control
    Interface: USB Modem1 - Communications/modem (AT-commands)
      Endpoint: Interrupt
    Interface: CDC Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
    Interface: USB Modem2 - Communications/modem (AT-commands)
      Endpoint: Interrupt
    Interface: CDC Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
    Interface: Communications/Device Management
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
    Interface: Audio/Control Device
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio In (disabled)
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio In (PCM 16Bit Mono)
      Endpoint: Isochronous Data
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio Out (disabled)
    Interface: Audio/Streaming - Audio Out (PCM 16Bit Mono)
      Endpoint: Isochronous Data
    Interface: Bulk SCSI Mass Storage
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data
      Endpoint: Unsynchronized Bulk Data

As the report shows, your device indeed has 3 modes/configurations as the blog suggested. The configuration number, which you are looking for, is actually given by the bConfigurationValue field of the configuration descriptor (available from your original report). Thus the configurations with their numbers are:
  • MSC AutoInstall Device (confignum: 1) - With 'mass storage' interface, probably for installing PnP driver.
  • WMC Device (confignum: 2)
  • WMC Device (confignum: 3)
This actually gives me more confidence that the solution given in the blog will work.

I am attaching as a text file the output of the lsusb -vd 230d:0007
command just for your knowledge. I have not done any experiments as you
have suggested. I shall do that later and let you know the results. But
this output seems to say that here also it is mode 3, unless I am
mistaken.

I couldn't find any indication that the device is already in mode 3. If it is the bNumConfigurations value in the device descriptor, it just says that there are 3 configurations available.
The only sure way of knowing which configuration is chosen is to see the pseudo-files in /sys/bus/usb/devices (using command: ls /sys/bus/usb/devices ). It will show a few device files in a special format. For example a device file of name 3-2:1.4 indicates a usb device connected to 2nd port of 3rd bus controller. Its configuration is 1 and interface 4.

The next action that could be taken is to do a systematic check to find if the solution works. It can be done like this:
  1. Plug in the USB device and make sure that it doesn't work (to ensure that the solution works). You can check the present configuration as explained above (if needed).
  2. Do a mode switch with the command : sudo usb_modeswitch -v 230d -p 0007 -u 3
  3. See if it works now. If not, that could be a problem with network manager too. Ensure that the NM has detected the device and its configuration in NM is correct.
  4. If it is working now, make more changes to the system (evdev and usb_modeswitch scripts) as suggested by the blog. This will make it automatic the next time onwards.
Regards,
Gokul Das

rolland mousseaux

Jul 7, 2018, 5:10:51 PM7/7/18
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram

I have the luxury of having a borrowed laptop with a dvd and thumbdrive burner .......the problem with visiontek is Microsoft make no mistake....blew original chip & destroyed bios...after getting bios back new install of windows 7 would not allow the motherboard to send  any signal thru the network adapter....visiontek connect to dock/dvi/hdmi download to thumbdrive fixed....I tried the newer versions of the visiontek audio drivers and they would never work.........found older version 6.0(+) and it worked.......but to install it

windows defender will try to stop you from installing it.......turn off windows security essentals and unplug from the internet to install and it will work on older visiontek cards....
easier to install the network adapter drivers and the visiontek/realtek audio version 6.0 this way......I long ago got rid of internet explorer or it will alsi interfere for certain