Re: [GNU/Linux-discussion] Joomla and Plugins (was DFW'2012 Registration Open)

A. Mani

Mar 14, 2012, 8:42:52 PM3/14/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Vikas Rawal
<vikas...@agrarianresearch.org> wrote:

> While I do not know enough about Joomla and the plugins, and I really
> look forward to hearing from those who do, it really seemed to me the
> case that Joomla developers did not mind the GPL violation. It was as
> if they earned legitimacy among the free-software enthusiasts by
> licensing Joomla under GPL but allowed commercial and non-free
> plugins. Availability of a large number of plugins is then presented
> as an important strength of Joomla.
>
> Of course I am expressing only a suspicion. But I would like to know
> if others feel the same way.

I have made the subject line more appropriate.

The Joomla developers are very clear on possible licenses of plugins.

see http://opensourcematters.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55

Extensions, Templates need to be under GNU-GPL2+, though it is
possible to encrypt them /sell the the former. Releasing extensions
under a different license can be problematic.

http://docs.joomla.org/Extensions_and_GPL

http://community.joomla.org/blogs/leadership/636-jed-to-be-gpl-only-by-july-2009.html
http://docs.joomla.org/JEDL

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani
CU, ASL, CLC,  AMS, CMS

Vikas Rawal

Mar 14, 2012, 9:40:13 PM3/14/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info

> The Joomla developers are very clear on possible licenses of plugins.
>
> see http://opensourcematters.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55
>
> Extensions, Templates need to be under GNU-GPL2+, though it is
> possible to encrypt them /sell the the former. Releasing extensions
> under a different license can be problematic.

But there are any number of Joomla extensions that are encrypted and
for which the source code is not provided.

Vikas

A. Mani

Mar 15, 2012, 12:28:36 PM3/15/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Vikas Rawal
<vikas...@agrarianresearch.org> wrote:

> But there are any number of Joomla extensions that are encrypted and
> for which the source code is not provided.

All the extensions in the official repository are required to be GNU-
GPL compliant.
and provide source. If it is not provided on request, then it would be
a GPL violation and the developers can end up paying huge fines.

" The distributor must provide access "for a charge no more than
[their] cost of physically performing source distribution." "

Yes this part of the GPL is weak as commercial interests can diminish
its potential utility. To force the distribution of source code to
everybody without cost, it would necessary to use a form of Affero.

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani
CU, ASL, CLC,  AMS, CMS

Sanjeev Gupta

Mar 16, 2012, 2:58:40 AM3/16/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 00:28, A. Mani <a.man...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Vikas Rawal
<vikas...@agrarianresearch.org> wrote:

> But there are any number of Joomla extensions that are encrypted and
> for which the source code is not provided.

All the extensions in the official repository are required to be GNU-
GPL compliant.
and provide source. If it is not provided on request, then it would be
a GPL violation and the developers can end up paying huge fines.

Ummm, fines paid to whom?  The Indian Govt?  The WB Govt?  To RMS?

I am quite surprised, I would assume that the GPL would cause termination of their licence, but a "fine"?

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane

Vikas Rawal

Mar 16, 2012, 3:24:04 AM3/16/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info

> > But there are any number of Joomla extensions that are encrypted and
> > for which the source code is not provided.
> >

> All the extensions in the official repository are required to be GNU-
> GPL compliant.
> and provide source. If it is not provided on request, then it would be
> a GPL violation and the developers can end up paying huge fines.
>

> Ummm, fines paid to whom?  The Indian Govt?  The WB Govt?  To RMS?
>
> I am quite surprised, I would assume that the GPL would cause termination of
> their licence, but a "fine"?

There is something odd about the whole business model
joomla+extensions have.

A very large number of extensions are priced. If they are all GPL and
the buyer has the right to redistribute them, how is it that the
buyers do not start selling them for a lower price or start
distributing them for free?

And remember, we are not talking of an obscure software. We are
talking about a very popular CMS which is deployed for a very large
numbers of sites. By implication, there must be a fairly large number
of users for at least some of these extensions.

Vikas

A. Mani

Mar 16, 2012, 9:15:34 AM3/16/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Sanjeev Gupta <gha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ummm, fines paid to whom?  The Indian Govt?  The WB Govt?  To RMS?
>
> I am quite surprised, I would assume that the GPL would cause termination of
> their licence, but a "fine"?

Fines would apply in all countries with laws for consumers.

If developer says "code is under License X",
and does not comply with terms of distribution under terms of License X,
then it is cheating and also a violation of many other laws.
GPL violations are often taken to court by bodies like SFLC, though in
this case it should be gold for any user.

Richard Stallman

Mar 16, 2012, 3:22:55 PM3/16/12
to Vikas Rawal, linux-di...@ilug-cal.info
But there are any number of Joomla extensions that are encrypted and
for which the source code is not provided.

This is bad news, and raises a related issue:
Does the Joomla web site list these nonfree extensions?

If so, it is a problem that the GNU Project will need to address.

If you check this, please tell me the URL where you found the
nonfree extensions mentioned, and the name of at least one of them.
Specifics like that are useful for raising the issue..

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

Richard Stallman

Mar 16, 2012, 7:09:23 PM3/16/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info, linux-di...@ilug-cal.info
A very large number of extensions are priced. If they are all GPL and
the buyer has the right to redistribute them, how is it that the
buyers do not start selling them for a lower price or start
distributing them for free?

Maybe some do -- but lots of users will look first at the Joomla site.
If so, that sounds like a legitimate and interesting business model.

The question is, ARE these priced extensions in fact free/mukt software?

Richard Stallman