[GNU/Linux-discussion] Change of ML subject label

Koushik Kumar Nundy

Feb 29, 2012, 11:59:24 AM2/29/12
to linux-discussion
Hi everyone,

I personally have an issue with how the label of the mailing list
subject was changed from [Linux-discussion] to [GNU/Linux-Discussion]
without notice.

While I may appreciate the sentiment as well as the logic behind the
change, and also the fact that this was not discussed/debated (except
possibly in the tl;dr flame war some time back), many of us have
filters to handle email traffic suitably, and subject headers are
probably the most commonly used filter options. This change w/o notice
means all mails on the list would be mishandled, resulting in
miscomfort at best, and complete disarray at worst.

My intention is not to challenge "admin authority", etc or request a
revert or anything of that sort. Just that such changes with major
impact potential should be handled with a bit more care. A 2-day
notice mail would have harmed no one and saved significant trouble.

Thanks,
Koushik Kumar Nundy.

Girishkumar Ponkiya

Feb 29, 2012, 2:01:37 PM2/29/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info
Mr. Kaushik Kumar Nundy,

I agree.. They must inform all about this before changes..
--
Regards,
Girishkumar M. Ponkiya

A. Mani

Feb 29, 2012, 4:13:39 PM2/29/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Koushik Kumar Nundy <kkn...@ieee.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I personally have an issue with how the label of the mailing list
> subject was changed from [Linux-discussion] to [GNU/Linux-Discussion]
> without notice.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I thought it was generally agreed to add a few GNUs. But I did not
think the list name got changed at the time in the GUI interface....
there was an error as it is hard coded and so I did not bother to
inform.

I did add a few 'GNU' in the web site ... so it looks more complete.

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani
CU, ASL, CLC,  AMS, CMS

A. Mani

Feb 29, 2012, 7:02:31 PM2/29/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Girishkumar Ponkiya
<girish.po...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mr. Kaushik Kumar Nundy,
>
> I agree.. They must inform all about this before changes..

top-posters in the belief that 'interaction may improve' :)

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani
CU, ASL, CLC,  AMS, CMS

Ashwin Mansinghka

Mar 1, 2012, 1:52:50 AM3/1/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 2:43 AM, A. Mani <a.man...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Koushik Kumar Nundy <kkn...@ieee.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I personally have an issue with how the label of the mailing list
> subject was changed from [Linux-discussion] to [GNU/Linux-Discussion]
> without notice.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I thought it was generally agreed to add a few GNUs.

It was not agreed. It is your perception that you imposed.

You are not even sorry? This is sad.

With Regards,
Ashwin

A. Mani

Mar 1, 2012, 9:20:26 AM3/1/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Ashwin Mansinghka
<ashwin...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I thought it was generally agreed to add a few GNUs.
>

> It was not agreed. It is your perception that you imposed.

Apart from you, nobody objected to stating the obvious.

Ashwin Mansinghka

Mar 1, 2012, 1:25:52 PM3/1/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info
<ashwin...@gmail.com> wrote:
I thought it was generally agreed to add a few GNUs.

It was not agreed. It is your perception that you imposed.

Apart from you, nobody objected to stating the obvious.
The only obvious thing is that you never ever discussed / asked for a voting or any consensus and just went on doing what you felt you wanted to.

with Regards,
Ashwin

A. Mani

Mar 1, 2012, 9:19:29 PM3/1/12
to linux-di...@ilug-cal.info
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Ashwin Mansinghka
<ashwin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The only obvious thing is that you never ever discussed / asked for a voting
> or any consensus and just went on doing what you felt you wanted to.

Even the kernel list refers to a cat by 'cat'.
Let us see if any one apart from you wants to bore the list on the point.