Xubuntu and Wi-Fi woes : command-line help needed

Manish Chakravarty

Jun 8, 2013, 12:53:58 AM6/8/13
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am using Xubuntu 13.04 with kernel 3.8.0-19-generic.
I've not customized my system ; this pretty much 'stock' Ubuntu (Xubuntu) with all updates applied.

My machine is a Lenovo IdeaPad S110 netbook [1] and has the following graphics card ( as determined by running 'lspci')

02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)

The problem that I am facing is the following:

After booting and logging in, the Wi-Fi applet at the top shows the spinning icon for a long time and then asks repeatedly for the Wi-Fi password of a network which is already saved . It prompts me for the password between 5-10 times. I haven to hit "cancel: in the dialog that shows up, disable my Wi-Fi ( via the UI ) and then enable it. It then connects.

I like using Fluxbox as my WM ; but when I am not at home, I need to bring up the (flaky) network connection UI to connect to a new wifi network that I may encounter. ( Eg- an airport, coffee shop etc )

Is there a way for me to add a new wifi network using the command line ( so that I don't need to use the network applet which is frankly driving me nuts ) ?

I'd love to just put the network connection info in a config file and connect to a network. Is there a tool which will help me do it over the command line?

Thanks in advance!

Peddu

Dec 5, 2013, 6:19:42 AM12/5/13
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com, manis...@gmail.com
hi Manish,
   Try the following... Solved something similar with my rtl chipset..
 1. Try to set the channel number in the wifi router to a number less than 10.. the channels will be in the wifi settings in the router ui.
 2.  Assign a static ip to your system.

hope it helps..
regards,
Pavan

Manish Chakravarty

Dec 5, 2013, 7:38:13 AM12/5/13
to Peddu, ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
Hello Peddu,

Thank you for the reply.
Why should I set a static IP? My router does DHCP just fine? ( did not understand the rationale behind it )

Regards,
Manish
--
Best,
Manish Chakravarty

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Pavan Kumar Peddu

Dec 6, 2013, 12:47:21 AM12/6/13
to manis...@gmail.com, ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
hi Manish,
   I couldn't  understand it either. But I didn't have the time to investigate. Let me know if it works. ;-)
regards,
Pavan

madhu y n

Dec 6, 2013, 6:47:41 AM12/6/13
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com, manis...@gmail.com

Pavan Kumar Peddu

Dec 9, 2013, 12:32:50 AM12/9/13
to ilug-be...@googlegroups.com, Manish Chakravarty
hi Manish,
    forget my earlier steps.. my chipset was completely differrent. But for your issue, check this out...

I think realtek stopped updating their driver for the latest kernels.. We need to do it on our own, with the help of the interwebs and some good  guys..:-)

regards,
Pavan

Manish Chakravarty

Dec 9, 2013, 6:40:38 AM12/9/13
to Pavan Kumar Peddu, ilug-be...@googlegroups.com
Hello Pavan,

Thanks a lot for the reply. It's sad that they stopped updating their drivers.
When the audio dies - I'll just run a 'sudo alsactl init' and live with it :/

Thanks,
Manish

Manish Chakravarty

Jan 1, 2014, 7:22:18 AM1/1/14