Environmental Ministry News for you!

Beth Freewomon

Apr 27, 2011, 12:58:06 PM4/27/11
to ILM EM google group, Laurie Sage
Dear Ones,

Take a look down below, at the great amount of EM related news below! We have an EM meeting w/ potluck dinner coming up next Wednesday. The EM is sponsoring its first every Spiritual Development Class on worm composting (May 22), and we are helping get the word out about preparing plants for Elegant Treasures Plant Sale!

God is Good!
Beth

How to Worm Compost—Wormshop 101

Sunday May 22nd, 2:30 p.m.–4:30 p.m.

Fellowship Hall

Learn about worm composting in an experiential setting. Class covers the environmental concerns regarding landfills and the need to compost, how to start a worm compost colony, the care and feeding of worms, how to obtain a FREE worm bin worth $100 (for those living in unincorporated Santa Cruz County), how to construct a low-cost bin of your own, and trouble-shooting. This wormshop is designed for adults and older, supervised children. Pre-registration is highly encouraged. Free childcare is available if registered by May 8th.

Class Fee:  Love offering (suggested donation $10-$40)

Instructor: Nanette Saucier (Has a B.S. in Zoology and is a S.C. County-trained Master Composter)

To Register Online: www.innerlightministries.com

FFI: 831-465-9090 x206

Class is sponsored by Inner Light’s Environmental Ministry—proceeds will go to fund the sustainability Station.

CALLING ALL GARDENERS...

Great news! Our 6th Annual Elegant Treasures Market is once again including plants. What can you do besides buy those lovely plants? Just look around at the abundance that the spring rains have brought us. See those "volunteers" in your garden? Well, dig 'em up and put them in pots! Over the next few months those plants will naturalize and by August, they will be indeed be Elegant Treasures! You'll provide a living donation, someone will be so happy to purchase your plants, and Inner Light will reap the harvest, so to speak. FYI: You can get recycled pots on the north side of ProBuild downtown, or check with the person at ILM's Sustainability Station for more potting ideas. Happy Planting!

Next Enviromental Ministry Meeting  (w/ dinner potluck)

Wednesday, May 4th 6-8:30p.m.

314 Keystone Ave (back back unit)

At Laurie's 831-420-1438

May 15th is Bike to Worship Day—we welcome to you to participate!

Bike (walk or bus) to ILM that day and qualify to enter raffle to win $1,000. Safe bicycle valet parking provided. Volunteers are needed. Also. join us after pray out at 1:15 p.m. at ILM to ride together with scenic vistas from East and West Cliff stopping for a picnic lunch at Peery Park overlooking Soquel Creek, near Nob Hill Foods. Thanks Brett and Jen for leading the bike ride!

Nature Walk

Join the Environmental Ministry (EM) for our nature walk, every third Sunday. We meet at the “trail head” at 2:00 and walk for up to 2 hours.

Upcoming Community Camping Trips

June 16th-19th, Yosemite area /Merced River

October 6th-9th, Pfeiffer State Park/ Big Sur

ILM Community Backpacking Trip to Island Lake, Tahoe Nat'l Forest

Save the Dates: Aug. 11th-15th

For information look for trip info packet on Info Kiosk in Social Hall, or attend Backpacking Information Meeting on Sunday, May 15, 1:15-2:30 p.m., Fireside Room, or contact Bill and Nancy Main at 831-476-7407 or accu_b...@yahoo.com

The Consciousness Caravan is Still Riding

Doesn't this beautiful weather make you want to ride your bike?! Riding your bike to ILM is a wonderful commitment to your personal health, your Earth, and your community. Every Sunday the Consciousness Caravan departs at the following times, arriving at ILM in time for meditation.

    * 9:30 in front of Java Junction, Seabright & Murray
    * 9:40 in front of People's Coffee, 17th & Brommer
    * 9:50 at the corner of 41st & Jade
    * 10:00 in front of Gayle's Bakery, Bay & Capitola Ave.
Those present ride on together, be it 1 or 100 riders. In case of rain, we ride only if the ground is dry and you feel safe to ride. Contact Matthew at mat...@marichiba.com or at 831-252-9062 for more information.