Mtg. Minutes and Renewal film screening Sat. 6/18

Beth Freewomon

Jun 15, 2011, 2:07:03 PM6/15/11
to ILM EM google group
Dear Earth Ministers,

Minutes from our June 5th meeting are below. Thanks for reading them and keeping informed. Also check out the flyer (at bottom of email) for the EM-sponsored event that happens this coming Saturday: Renewal film screening. Volunteers are needed. Contact Ellen ellen...@yahoo.com.

thanks
Beth

EM June 5th 2011 Mtg Minutes with Agenda

·       Check –in from Ellen RE: Film series

On Sat. June 18th the EM co-sponsors a screening of “Renewal” with an interfaith potluck at 5:30 pm. See flyer at end of email. FFI, Volunteers needed. Contact Ellen Farmer: ellen...@yahoo.com

·       Next EM Mtg. : Sunday August 7, 1:15-3:30 at ILM

·       SOS Hands across the Sand happens Saturday 6/25/11 at two  SC locations. This is a demonstration to protest offshore oil drilling and to demand safe sane energy reliance.

Cowell's Beach (Cowell's Beach is located on the sand in front of The Dream Inn located on the right side of the Santa Cruz wharf next to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Come show your support for our oceans come join hands with Save Our Shores and Surfrider of Santa Cruz. Bring you, your friends and family to the sand by 11:45am by ready to form a line by 12pm. At Noon we all will join Hands Across the Sand for 15 min.

On The Cliff At Pleasure Point (Hwy 1 to 41st Ave exit. Take 41st Ave. towards the ocean until you reach Portola Drive (this will be the first stop sign (not light)). Go right on Portola Drive and follow until 30th Ave (there is a 7-11 on your left). Go left at 30th Ave. until East Cliff Drive. Take a left on East Cliff and follow it until it turns to a one way street. This is Pleasure Point! People will gather on the bluffs next to the stairs if the tide is too hide to go on the beach.)

·       Camping Committee Check-in

Yosemite trip has 18-20 registered (3 teens). Leaves Thursday 6/16.

·       Announcement of MBARI Open House- An awesome event suggested by John: (in abstensia)

On Sat. 6/25 as well. The MBARI open house features science and technology exhibits, deep-sea videos, research presentations, robotic submarines, children's activities, ocean career information, and much more. MBARI staff, scientists, and engineers will share their excitement about the institute's work.

Visitors can view a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) and some of our autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs). MBARI's research vessels will also be on view at the dock with related displays. Visitors can learn about instrumentation developed by MBARI and view live data being sent from off-shore. FFI http://www.mbari.org/about/openhouse.html

·       Inviting Rev. D to come and share her Amazon Adventure Vision Quest and Contact with the Achuar People as it pertained to what she learned “in the EM way”, or promote her June 23rd download to entire ILM community &/or larger community.

This item was proposed before the slide show and talk was know about. We encourage all to attend Rev. D’s talk on the 23rd as she shares about her trip to Ecuador. Laurie Sage to invite indigenous eldersshe met at 1,000 Hummingbird gathering to event s well as craft a proposal for a late summer event featuring them at ILM.

·       Elegant Treasures Plant Sale encouragement out to our gardeners-Golden, Brett, Ken, Laurie, Nanette, other volunteers? (Big fundraiser for ILM in August)(time factor is now)

Please continue to care for your transplanted plant friends until ET. Thanks!

·       Tabling!!!!! This agenda item was TABLED!

·       Wormshop wrap-up /Victory announcement/$$ made and details of success

There were 13 folks who participated in this class. It was a fun afternoon. $ raised for Susty Station yet to be revealed.

·       Sacred Earth Wisdom Circle announcement- by Bob, Andrea, Nancy, or Laurie

Meeting 2 x per month, reading TeTe’s book. Check GN for more info

·       SDP Class for Autumn

We are excited to announce that we are feeling called to offer a 5 or 6-week class series in the Autumn that is focused offering Sustainability Tools from a variety of people in our community. Class foci could be: composting, shopping sustainably, grey water, backyard garden etc. Please contact Laurie Sage if inspired.

·       Two announcements RE: Native Garden Tour and Garden Faire From Golden: (In abstentia)

Announcing the 1st Annual California Native Garden Tour. Celebrate California’s beauty by going on a free, self-guided tour of private and public gardens that are native, drought tolerant, chemical free, and wildlife friendly. A variety of Santa Cruz County gardens landscaped with California native plants will be open to the public June 12, 2011 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Native plant sales and informative talks will be held at select gardens. Space is limited and registration is required, so sign up early to ensure a place. Volunteers needed. For more information, visit www.californianativegardentour.org.

and

The Garden Faire Go to http://thegardenfaire.org/ for more information.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Come celebrate abundance at the second annual Garden Faire at SkyPark in Scotts Valley, hosted by California Native Garden Foundation and sponsored by local businesses and water districts. The 2011 theme, "Celebrating Abundance," acknowledges how fortunate we are to be gardeners in a place and time that abounds with healthful fruits and vegetables, and refreshes our spirits with beauty in the garden. The Garden Faire will again be a free admission, educational event under clusters of canopies on Skypark's grassy fields, and will include:

  • Speakers in the main tent
    • Chumash Medicine Woman Cecilia Garcia and James Adams, Jr., Ph.D.in Pharmacology and Toxicology, present "California Medicinal Plants and Practical Uses for Today"
    • Penny Livingston-Stark presents "Visionary Solutions for an Abundant Future."Penny has been teaching internationally and working professionally in the land management, regenerative design and permaculture development field for 25 years and has extensive experience in all phases of ecologically sound design and construction, as well as the use of natural non-toxic building materials.
    • Elizabeth Anne Jones presents "Health in the Garden: Ways to use the garden setting and specific botanicals for physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual well being." Elizabeth Jones is a leading educator, healer, formulator, and advocate of using therapeutic essential oils for integrative medicine.
  • NEW! Ecology modules on rainwater harvest, graywater, compost, bio-diversity, and native plants
  • NEW! A free Gardeners' Exchange! Plants of all kinds (from cuttings to full size), garden books, garden and pond supplies, tools, and garden accents. Exchange what you bring for something you want to take home.
  • Vendors of garden plants and garden-related goods and services
  • Informative and educational exhibits and by local groups
  • Vendors of healthful food and entertainment to add to the festive atmosphere
  • Activities for children and families

The fun and learning continues on Sunday morning as Cecilia Garcia and James Adams, Ph.D., lead a medicinal plant walk. Meet at Skypark at 9:30 a.m.

Sponsored by the Ecological Landscaping Association--Monterey Bay Working Group, San Lorenzo Water District, Scotts Valley Water District, Soquel Creek Water District, and Vision Recycling.