A project for the EV club to ponder

zepol

Oct 23, 2015, 5:21:02 PM10/23/15
to Illinoisev
I have purchased a 2003 VW GOLF GL manual to convert to electric.
Goals:
Have a vehicle with new batteries (not lead acid) capable of 50 miles.  With aged batteries 35miles.  We currently go 30 miles a day in the gas car.
Required top speed of 45, but not necessarily highway capable.
Charge to 35 mile range in 6.5 hours from empty @ home 220Vac charger station.
Engine was 122 ft-lbs, 115hp.  Motor can be much less hp, torque should no be more than 170ish (guess) to be sure the transmission with survive.
Regen power through drive motor
I suspect after engine components, fuel, cooling, and exhaust systems removal it will be near 2300lbs. before electric parts are put in.

Intent is to mount the motor where the engine was and for now leave the clutch and gearbox intact.

Links, knowledge, calculations would be appreciated.  Example cars around here?  Online well documented examples, sites that help people with this type of thing?

Topics I am starting with:
Computers
    How to fake out the current computer so everything will still function without an engine.
        Airbags
        Dash controls
    Speed controller
        Matched to motor choice
        Matched to battery Choice
        Capable of regen
    Charging system
        Matched to batteries
        Matched to motor
Motor
    Sizing
    Type
    Mounting
Batteries
    Match to range
    Match to motor
    Match to speed controller
    Charge rate
    Regen power absorption
Mechanicals
    ABS pump
    Brake vacuum assist
    Power steering
    Winter cabin heat?
12V needed
    Headlights
        other lights
    Main computer
    Anti-theft
    Cabin fan
    Radio

    My plan is to move this list to a google docs spreadsheet that other can see and edit with me.  I do not plan to post to this group as constant occurrence to avoid "spam"  If you would like to follow my progress or help me directly, please send your email to me directly and I will put you on a mailing list.

-- Pezz
My privacy is important to me; please do not share information about my family or me without permission.