Some feedback to IA 117

Thomas Ferris Nicolaisen

Jul 9, 2014, 3:56:55 AM7/9/14
to illegal...@googlegroups.com
First of all, thanks for consistently putting out the show! I really enjoy your discussions. I do drop out occasionally, but that's more because I'm not as well into Java or Scala as I would like to be to follow what's being said.

I just have a couple of adjustment I'd beg you to make:

1) The audio is too low. My car stereo usually is on '20' for podcasts/radio, but on IA I have to boost it up to '32' (whatever that means). Point being: normalize the loudness, please! Use Auphonic [1]
2) One of the mikes was clipping a lot this time. Make sure you turn down the microphone to avoid this, and keep an eye on the gain in the recording software you are using - it shouldn't hit the max when talking normally.

That's it. Keep up the good work! And thanks for the GitMinutes mention, of course :)

Mark Derricutt

Jul 14, 2014, 5:56:23 AM7/14/14
On 9 Jul 2014, at 19:56, Thomas Ferris Nicolaisen wrote:

> First of all, thanks for consistently putting out the show! I really
> enjoy

Thanks for the feed back - the list here has been somewhat quiet of
late...

> your discussions. I do drop out occasionally, but that's more because
> I'm
> not as well into Java or Scala as I would like to be to follow what's
> being
> said.

Thats ok - Greg's not into Scala at all ;p

> 1) The audio is too low. My car stereo usually is on '20' for
> podcasts/radio, but on IA I have to boost it up to '32' (whatever that
> means). Point being: normalize the loudness, please! Use Auphonic [1]

Hrm, I normally normalise in login pro and haven't personally noticed
the volume being lower - I used to pre-normalise the raw audio using
Levelator but haven't done so for awhile. Might have to take a look at
euphonic!

> 2) One of the mikes was clipping a lot this time. Make sure you turn
> down
> the microphone to avoid this, and keep an eye on the gain in the
> recording
> software you are using - it shouldn't hit the max when talking
> normally.

Define talking normally :) For us that seems to be ranting Greg, who
seems to trip up a lot of clipping when agitated. I think in this
episode tho that may have been my mic, I'd switched back to a different
one I think my gain was a tad high.

> That's it. Keep up the good work! And thanks for the GitMinutes
> mention, of course :)

Thanks for the feedback, and the great podcast - love the Gerrit
interview.

Mark

Thomas Ferris Nicolaisen

Jul 16, 2014, 8:17:03 AM7/16/14
On Monday, July 14, 2014 11:56:23 AM UTC+2, Mark Derricutt wrote:
> 1) The audio is too low. My car stereo usually is on '20' for
> podcasts/radio, but on IA I have to boost it up to '32' (whatever that
> means). Point being: normalize the loudness, please! Use Auphonic [1]

Hrm, I normally normalise in login pro and haven't personally noticed
the volume being lower - I used to pre-normalise the raw audio using
Levelator but haven't done so for awhile. Might have to take a look at
euphonic!

OK, I just listened to IA 118 (where you used Auphonic [discussed via private messages]), and the loudness is perfect. Using the same volume in my car stereo as the other podcasts I frequent. Even the volume levels in your conversations sounds more consistent!

I still think I'm hearing some clipping, but I'm not sure if that's due to the audio topology of my car. Good enough in any case :)