IA104

mP

Jul 26, 2013, 12:54:50 AM7/26/13
to illegal...@googlegroups.com
I would argue that anything that requires a Transaction context should accept it as a parameter or at the least take a provider which it can grab from when needed. Assuming that the tx is available by reading some magic global variable is wrong. Sure its a pain to pass tx ctx around etc but its just another parameter and shouldnt be treated as a magic global. Theres nothing wrong with setting up a tx before doing stuff that needs one and so on.

Richard Vowles

Jul 26, 2013, 1:49:17 AM7/26/13
to illegalargument
Its  just lazy even.

--

---

---
Richard Vowles,
Grails, Groovy, Java, Javascript, AngularJS
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative - Oscar Wilde
ph: +64275467747, google+:http://rvowl.es/UX8Bmq
podcast: http://www.illegalargument.com

Matthew Farwell

Jul 28, 2013, 3:07:32 AM7/28/13
to illegal...@googlegroups.com
As someone who has spent days trying to find where the bloody hell a transaction is being created (with @Transactional) I can whole heartedly agree with this. If you have to explicitly pass a transaction context around, it rapidly becomes an obvious code smell if you're passing it to too many places. The way I found where the transaction was being created was to insert logging into the jdbc layer, I simply couldn't work it out from the annotations. Turns out there wasn't a transaction at the place where it was needed, but at pretty much every method below that. So one call to one web service caused ~1000 transactions.

And while we're on the subject, talking about @Autowired - we had one bean which had ~50 autowired dependencies. They didn't have any unit tests for this class surprisingly. Again, this would have been obvious if we'd had to use constructor injection. I find @Autowired really really useful, but on big systems it becomes really unwieldy.

Matthew Farwell.

2013/7/26 mP <miroslav...@gmail.com>
I would argue that anything that requires a Transaction context should accept it as a parameter or at the least take a provider which it can grab from when needed. Assuming that the tx is available by reading some magic global variable is wrong. Sure its a pain to pass tx ctx around etc but its just another parameter and shouldnt be treated as a magic global. Theres nothing wrong with setting up a tx before doing stuff that needs one and so on.

mP

Jul 29, 2013, 4:15:11 AM7/29/13
to illegal...@googlegroups.com
50 ! isnt that smelly in itself ?