Seeman Road Fluddle, Rt 47 & Union Rd Fluddle & Arlene Shoemaker F.P. Tuesday 5-17-22

Al Stokie

May 17, 2022, 5:01:25 PM5/17/22
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Went with Andy Sigler today to look for birds reported on ebird yesterday.

1st to McHenry County to look for shorebirds. Finally figured out
where the Seeman Road Fluddle was located & there we saw the 2 big
HUDSONIAN GODWITS reported yesterday. Other birds seen were Killdeer
(1), Lesser Yellowlegs (5), Spotted Sandpiper (1) & Least Sandpiper
(1).
Also there were about 10 Mallards. This was at about 6:15 a.m.

Then, also in McHenry Co, we stopped at Rt 47 & Union Rd where there
is another fluddle. This is hard to do as it's in the middle of a
construction zone. Only stayed a few min & saw Semipalmated Plover
(6-8), Killdeer (6), Lesser Yellowlegs (4), Least (~20) & Pectoral
(~30) Sandpipers & one
SHORT BILLED DOWITCHER. Again saw some Mallards, this time with some young.
Earlier we saw a young Swan here but it was gone when we returned to
check out the shorebirds.
This was at 6:50-7:05 a.m.

Finally, a Mississippi Kite was seen in Kane County yesterday at
Arlene Shoemaker F.P. which was even harder to find than the Seeman Rd
Fluddle. Here we saw, among other birds, Red Bellied & Hairy
Woodpeckers, a Philly Vireo (& Red Eyed), Great Crested Flycatcher
(2), Redstarts (2), Magnolia Warbler (1-F) & I heard a Yellow Warbler.
Best bird here was ALDER FLYCATCHER but we only heard 2 & never saw
them at all. And of course we never saw the Mississippi Kite.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the big Hudsonian Godwits & Runner-Up to the Short
Billed Dowitcher.

Al Stokie
In both McHenry & Kane Co's today