Chicago Botanic Garden & a Short Stop At The Ft Sheridan Hawk Watch Thursday 9-23-21

Al Stokie

Sep 23, 2021, 6:48:00 PMSep 23
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

More birds than I expected at the Botanic Garden today. They were
found in bunches along with plenty of time without any birds at all.
You had to keep paying attention for that next big bunch.
Here's what I saw.

Chicago Botanic Garden (8-11:45 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1 in the water & 5 flying by)
Great Blue Heron (1)
Great Egret (4)
Canada Goose (~125, mostly fly-bys)
Mallard (9)
Gadwall (1-M)
OSPREY (2 hunting over the water & 1 caught a fish)
Ring Billed (7) & Herring (1) Gulls (all fly-bys)
Mourning Dove (1 or 2)
Chimney Swift (4)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (H-1)
Downy Woodpecker (1)
Flicker (2)
Blue Jay (12-15)
Chickadee (6)
Red Breasted Nuthatch (4)
White Breasted Nuthatch (1)
WINTER WREN (1)
Golden Crowned (3) & Ruby Crowned (5) Kinglets
Swainson's Thrush (1)
Robins (11)
Red Eyed Vireo (1)
Nashville Warbler (1)
Magnolia Warbler (2)
CAPE MAY WARBLER (1-M)
Blackpoll (2)
Palm Warbler (6)
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (4)
Common Yellowthroat (1-M)
Song Sparrow (2)
Red Winged Blackbird (1-M)
House Finch (4)
Goldfinch (12)
House Sparrow (2)

That's 36 species for this one place & 7 warbler species which are
fairly good totals for the CBG at this date.

Then a short stop at the Fort Sheridan Hawk Watch where raptors were
going by but most were far to the west which means they were too far
away for really good looks. Only saw Turkey Vultures, Red Tails & 2
Bald Eagles & none were very close. Good thing I saw that Broad Winged
Hawk yesterday.

And I guess I reported a Red Winged Hawk yesterday which of course
should have been a Red Tailed Hawk. Sometimes my imagination gets
carried away & results in typos. Oh well.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Osprey carrying a fish & Runners-Up to the nice
looking Cape May Warbler, the Winter Wren & all the Kinglets & Red
Breasted Nuthatches.

Al Stokie
Mostly in Cook County with a short visit to Lake County

.