Skokie Lagoons From Willow Road, Techny North & Beck Lake W.F. Goose Tuesday 4-6-21

Al Stokie

Apr 6, 2021, 7:27:45 PM4/6/21
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Saw that Jeff B had lots of Creepers & G.C. Kinglets at The Lagoons
yesterday & although I knew that I wouldn't find as many birds as he
did I have only seen small numbers of Kinglets & Creepers lately so I
thought I'd give it a try. But I walked all the way to the small dam
on the east side of the Lagoons without seeing 1 Creeper or Kinglet.
Then my luck changed & I quickly saw 10 Creepers & 15 Kinglets. But
that was the only place I saw Creepers & only added 3 more Kinglets
later. So had I missed that 1 area I would have wondered where all
Jeff's birds were.
Here's my bird list:

Skokie Lagoons From Willow Road (7:55-11:20 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (12)
Great Blue Heron (3)
Canada Goose (~35)
Wood Duck (11)
Mallard (10)
Blue Winged Teal (12)
Red Breasted Merganser (1-PR)
Killdeer (H-1)
Herring Gull (1 fly-by)
Rock Pigeon (8)
Mourning Dove (1)
Kingfisher (1-F & heard another one later)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (5)
Downy Woodpecker (3)
Flicker (9-10) (but only 1 seen)
Tree Swallow (only 1)
Chickadee (H-1)
W.B. Nuthatch (H-1)
Brown Creeper (10)
Golden Crowned Kinglet (18)
RUBY CROWNED KINGLET (2) (FOY)
Robins (~40)
Starling (2)
Cardinal (H-3)
Fox Sparrow (2)
Song Sparrow (3)
Junco (1 flock of 14)
Red Wings (9)
Grackles (6)
Cowbird (2)

Yesterday at the nearby Botanic Garden I had 30 species & today at the
Lagoons I
again had 30 species. That's consistency.

Techny North (11:35 a.m.-12:10 p.m.)

I like to cover this place often to see if any new shorebirds have
arrived. Today only saw 3 Killdeer but a big Greater Yellowlegs was
also there. Ducks were Mallards (9), the usual Black Duck (1), Green
Winged Teal (1-PR), Blue Winged Teal (2-PR) & Shoveler (2-PR).
Also had 1 Great Blue Heron & 4 Ring Billed Gulls. Heard a Meadowlark
& Red Wings.

Saw on IBET that Mark P reported a White Fronted Goose at Beck Lake
that his wife had seen so I gave it a try. Sure enough there was (at
5:30 p.m.) the WHITE FRONTED GOOSE on a little hill as you get to the
lake. If you search just check out all the geese & look for one that's
different. It's pretty obvious that it's a real White Front.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the late afternoon White Fronted Goose & Runner-Up
to my only new bird for 2021 which was the Ruby Crowned Kinglet.
Thanks go to Mark & wife for the report & the sighting of the goose.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today .