Montrose Point, Lincoln Park Zoo & North Pond Tuesday 4-9-24

Al Stokie

Apr 9, 2024, 10:15:16 PMApr 9
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Last night I got a call from Leslie B telling me about a Yellow
Crowned Night Heron who had returned to the Black Crowned Night Heron
colony at the Lincoln Park Zoo. But since you can't get into the zoo
until 10 a.m. I decided to start the day at Montrose.

Montrose Point (7-10 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (~60 flying north)
Great Blue Heron (1 fly-by)
Canada Goose (~20)
Mallard (16)
Red Breasted Merganser (34, in the lake)
Cooper's Hawk (1 fly-by)
Ring Billed (26) & Herring (3) Gulls
Rock Pigeon (4) & Mourning Dove (1)
SHORT EARED OWL (1, flying above the Dunes)
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker (2)
Downy Woodpecker (1-M)
Flicker (10)
Eastern Phoebe (4)
Tree (6) & Rough Winged (2) Swallows
BARN SWALLOW (1) (FOY)
Crow (8)
Chickadee (3)
Brown Creeper (3)
Ruby Crowned Kinglet (4)
BLUE GRAY GNATCATCHER (1) (FOY)
Hermit Thrush (7)
Robin (22-25)
BROWN THRASHER (1)
Starling (4)
PALM WARBLER (1) (FOY)
YELLOW RUMPED MYRTLE WARBLER (4) (FOY)
Eastern Towhee (3)
Tree Sparrow (3)
Song Sparrow (6)
Swamp Sparrow (5)
White Throated Sparrow (2, singing)
Junco (4)
Red Wings (10), Grackles (12) & Cowbird (1-F)
House Sparrow (16)

Lincoln Park Zoo (11-11:30 a.m.)

BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON (30-35) (FOY)
YELLOW CROWNED NIGHT HERON (1-AD) (FOY)

Thanks are in order to Leslie B for telling me about the Yellow
Crowned Night Heron, to Russ W for staying to help us find it & to
Santo & Lynn L who helped find it. Lynn was actually the one to pick
it out of all the other Night Herons. Good job by her!

North Pond (11:30-11:45 a.m.)

Just a quick check to see if the 2 remaining Great Horned Owls were
still around. And they are being seen in a big tree on the S.W. side
of the pond. So far they look all right & I hope they don't end up
like the adult male who died from rodent poison.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Yellow Crowned Night Heron & Runner-Up to the
Short Eared Owl.
I ended up with 46 species for the day.

And License Plate Of The Day goes to one from Rhode Island which was
my 1st of the year.
That's number 49 for the year & I still need Alaska & Delaware. Today
I also saw plates from New Hampshire & West Virginia & both were 2nd
of the year for me.

Al Stokie
Having a good day in Cook County today