Chicago Botanic Garden Wednesday 5-31-23

Al Stokie

May 31, 2023, 6:40:11 PM5/31/23
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

We seem to be settling into Summer birds as I had 43 species today &
all except one were either Summer or year round residents. The only
migrant was a calling Alder Flycatcher which, true to form, I heard
but did not see. I covered all the areas at the Gardens today
including the far S.E. B. Brown Reserve & the far N.E. Mary Mix
McDonald Woods.

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:30-11:30 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (4)
Great Egret (2)
Canada Goose (44)
Wood Duck (27, all at the B. Brown Reserve Pond)
Mallard (6-AD plus 1-F with 7 small young)
Turkey Vulture (2, soaring)
Cooper's Hawk (1 fly-by)
Killdeer (6, on the mudflats)
Spotted Sandpiper (4, also on the mudflats)
Gull Species? (1, too far to I.D.)
Mourning Dove (4)
Chimney Swift (2)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (2)
Downy Woodpecker (H-1)
Eastern Pewee (1)
Willow Flycatcher (2, calling)
Alder Flycatcher (1, calling)
Great Crested Flycatcher (2)
Eastern Kingbird (1)
Purple Martin (18 at the 2 west side Martin houses & 10 at the 1 east
side house)
Tree Swallow (6)
Rough Winged Swallow (2)
Cliff Swallow (2)
Barn Swallow (~20)
Robin (22)
Gray Catbird (4)
Cedar Waxwing (8)
Starling (3)
Warbling Vireo (12, as many as I've ever had)
Red Eyed Vireo (3, in the woods)
Yellow Warbler (2)
Common Yellowthroat (H-1)
Cardinal (3)
Indigo Bunting (2-M)
Song Sparrow (7)
Red Winged Blackbird (16)
Grackle (10)
Cowbird (11)
Baltimore Oriole (H-2)
ORCHARD ORIOLE (1-PR)
House Finch (3)
Goldfinch (8)
House Sparrow (10)

That's 42 species at the CBG plus Pigeons on the roadsides for a total
of 43 species.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the Orchard Orioles & Runner-Up to the Alder
Flycatcher even though
I only heard it.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today