GHOWs! Cook co

Suzanne Coleman

Oct 7, 2021, 3:14:11 AM10/7/21
to ilb...@googlegroups.com
The great-horned owl is back and there's a second one! This is so exciting. It was hooting and I had the TV on and I was like I think I heard the owl again and then I said no, that can't be ! So I muted the TV and then I heard weird barking noises and I was like that's a weird barking noise and then I heard the hooting again so I went outside and... I guess owls bark! There was two of them but it seems like they had an aggressive relationship and one scared the other one away and then the other one flew but then one is back hooting again. So it's been going on for at least 20 minutes. And I don't know if you remember, but we had one here last winter for the first time that I know of hooting as well and that one was sounding like it was trying to draw in a female. And I don't know if both males and females hoot, I think they do, so I'm not sure what gender I have, it didn't look that big so I guess that's probably the male. And I also saw what was probably a possum scurrying out of the way when I went outside :-)

Suzanne Coleman
Park Ridge
Cook County

Mark Vaughan

Oct 7, 2021, 9:08:43 AM10/7/21
to Suzanne Coleman, ilb...@googlegroups.com
We had a Great Horned Owl arrive in Evanston within the last week. It may have been here all along but the hooting behavior just started in the last few days.
The resident screech owl expresses its displeasure with the new neighbor.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 7, 2021, at 2:14 AM, 'Suzanne Coleman' via IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts <ilb...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> The great-horned owl is back and there's a second one! This is so exciting. It was hooting and I had the TV on and I was like I think I heard the owl again and then I said no, that can't be ! So I muted the TV and then I heard weird barking noises and I was like that's a weird barking noise and then I heard the hooting again so I went outside and... I guess owls bark! There was two of them but it seems like they had an aggressive relationship and one scared the other one away and then the other one flew but then one is back hooting again. So it's been going on for at least 20 minutes. And I don't know if you remember, but we had one here last winter for the first time that I know of hooting as well and that one was sounding like it was trying to draw in a female. And I don't know if both males and females hoot, I think they do, so I'm not sure what gender I have, it didn't look that big so I guess that's probably the male. And I also saw what was probably a possum scurrying out of the way when I went outside :-)
>
> Suzanne Coleman
> Park Ridge
> Cook County

lcc...@comcast.net

Oct 7, 2021, 11:24:21 AM10/7/21
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
For the first time in 20 years I heard three GHOs last week - right at dusk. I've always heard 2 (or I guess what I assumed was ).  But this time I could see one on a utility pole at the back of my yard and I heard two others calling back and forth.
Leslie Cummings
Wheaton
DuPage County