Montrose Dunes & Hedge Area Plus Techny North Friday 5-26-23

Al Stokie

May 26, 2023, 9:16:54 PM5/26/23
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Went with Dave Johnson to Montrose today as Dave needed the Whimbrel &
I wanted to look for Flycatchers & a Connecticut Warbler. Much to my
surprise Dave got the Whimbrel but I found none of my 3 targets. But
Dave had 14 species of warblers & I had 13 which is pretty good for
this late in the warbler season.

Montrose Dunes (6:40-8 a.m.)

Looked at the protected beach from the fence & did not see the
Whimbrel which should have been big enough to see if it was on the
beach. But there were 8 birders looking at something from the pier
although I couldn't tell what? Turns out they were looking at the
WHIMBREL but it was hidden in the vegetation. Saw a post on Bird Chat
from Laurel R so we knew it was there. Finally I saw it with my scope
but could only see its head & bill. Later we went to the pier & had
better looks.

Canada Goose (2) & Mallard (9, all males)
Semipalmated Plover (2) & Piping Plover (1-Imani)
Killdeer (1)
Spotted Sandpiper (2)
WHIMBREL (1)
Sanderling (2, in full breeding plumage)
Dunlin (3, also in full breeding plumage)
Ring Billed (~145) & Herring (16) Gulls (Counts by Dave J)
Caspian Tern (only 4)
Tree, Rough Winged, Bank & Barn Swallows
Starling (2), Red Wings (2) & Grackle (3)

Hedge Area (8:15-10:45 a.m.) (Highlights)

Had a big flock of 19 Blue Jays fly by plus 1 Chimney Swift. Vireos
were only Warbling (2) & Red Eyed (1). Flycatchers were Least (1),
Eastern Pewee (2) & an unknown Empi. Warblers were seen in low numbers
except for Redstarts with the best being one Parula & 3 Mourning
Warblers. Also had 1 late Palm Warbler & a late female Blackburnian
Warbler. For bold colors I had a pair of Baltimore Orioles & 1 male
SCARLET TANAGER.

Techny North (1:15-2:05 p.m.)

Great Blue Heron (2) & Great Egret (3)
Canada Goose (2)
Wood Duck (1-F) & Blue Winged Teal (3-M)
Mallard (36-AD & 11 young)
Killdeer (6)
Spotted Sandpiper (5)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1)
Dunlin (1)
Tree (4), Rough Winged (4), Barn (3) & Cliff (1) Swallows
Robin (4), Warbling Vireo (H-1) & Savannah Sparrow (2)
Eastern Meadowlark (2), Red Wings (4) & Grackle (2)
House Finch (H-1)

So I had 61 species for the day with 8 species of shorebirds & 13
species of warblers.
Bird-Of-The-Day again goes to the hard to see (at 1st) Whimbrel with
Runners-Up being the Parula & the Mourning Warblers.
Fancy Pants Bird Of The Day will be the male Scarlet Tanager with its
crimson color.

License Plate Of The Day for yesterday was from Montana & for today
from Nevada.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today